Seriously though, Who is the High Sparrow?

The Fresh PtwP

This. High Sparrow is the mouthpiece for the ruined smallfolk across the Seven Kingdoms. He and the sparrows represent anguish and the oppression therein. His lashing out against the nobility is the voice of the people wishing to do the same.

Hes still a scum though.

High Sparrow is probably a pretty decent man overall in the context of westeros. At least he feeds the poor.

Septin Meribald is a better man, but better men don't always get the job done. I am OK with the HS for now, will be interesting to see if he backs Aegon. And the whole point of the HS role is that they discard their old identity.

Yep. I love Ned, he was the better man, but it would have been better if it were a less honorable, but still loyal man to Robert who played the incest discovery game.

• 5 months later...

I hope he's no one special...just High Sparrow guy.

Series already has bunch of secret Targs and snarks and prophecies and ploys and who-knows-what. It would be nice, for a change, that he's just some guy who felt sick of evil and profligacy and decided to make changes in Westeros.

Still, I don't like him. He doesn't hold the Old Gods :box:

I just loved when he tells Cersei "no," and she is shocked he dare refuse her. Zero fucks given by the High Sparrow at that point.

Ditto. Great moment.

He is the High Sparrow, that is who he is. The fact that we never hear his original name or any type of background is part of the point, which has already been iterated by numerous posts.

I agree. He's not a secret Targ, he's not a secret anything. He let go of his past life--name, background--because of piety. He is a servant of the seven, his name and story don't matter to him. His identity is to lead the faith.

It's sort of akin to the Pope taking a new name--it isn't required but it's a sign of piety and respect to former popes/saints.

I think he is an agent of Varys. All that religious fanaticism is a sham. He is waiting for the right time to bless fAegon.

If he was really a pain in the ass as many people think, Varys would have killed him just like he killed Kevan and Pycelle.

Varys is using the HS to tear the Lannister-Tyrell alliance into pieces. Varys wants to have Tyrells fall from power/grace and create a great power vacuum to be filled by fAegon.

Mark my words, Margaery will be found guilty in the trial by Faith. She may or may not be innocent but that does not matter. Margaery is the Anne Boleyn of ASOIAF and a headsman is waiting for her.

I've heard it could be Meribald - but I don't believe it.

I think he is just a new character.

No way would Meribald be interrogating the witnesses and trying to arm the church. He very much seems a man of peace, where as this High Septon seems much more along the lines of an inquisition era man of faith. A little or, a lot, of pain to arrive at the truth is good for the spirit. He does seem to be a common man though and cares for the common people.

I agree, Marge is definitely Anne Boleyn (with a dash of Catherine Aragorn). Natalie Dormer needs a new agent :lol:.

It is also my opinion that Margeary will be found guilty. I wonder if Tommen will be able to step up and save her with a royal pardon. My guess is that she losses her head.

Presumably, with Kevan Lannister's death, Cersei will be back running things. She would be only too happy to see Margaery's head roll. I see the High Sparrow as more Savonarola than Francis of Asissi. It will be very interesting to see how he fares with Tyene Sand. Will he be repelled by her beauty? Will he see through her apparent innocence-- or will she be the one to trip him up? Stay tuned!

My two cents - He's the traveling Septon that married Tyrion and Tysha. The experience of his involvement with Tysha being ravaged by Tywin's soldiers psychologically scarred the former merry-go-lucky traveling septon. In order to overcome the PTS he began a journey of strict piety and protection of the common folk. Leading him to become the pious ass he is today.

• 3 months later...

My thinking is that he is Howland Reed. When he first meets Cersei, one of the first things mentioned is how the stains of Ned Starks beheading could never be washed away. No one really knows what Howland Reed looks like. And if R+L=J, Howland knows the truth. But who would believe him? Nobody really, unless he had the entire faith of the seven behind him and the power to "bless the new king", which in the eyes of the common people is very important...

Archived