Mark Your Calendar: Game of Thrones Returns on April 6

Westeros

There was a 1 minute teaser/trailer released near the end of January for season 2. But yeah, I wouldn't be expecting anything longer than that.

Maybe they're releasing it early to try and keep the momentum from last season? The ratings for the finale were pretty disappointing for the episode following the Red Wedding, after all, so they're probably being as cautious as possible.

I wouldn't really say "disappointing", as the ratings were up from the previous episode, but yeah, I expected a larger live audience after the shitstorm that was the Red Wedding. Maybe a not-so-small number of viewers "threw their books across the room", so to speak, and didn't watch the finale? That is certainly a reasonable thing to expect; that's how many readers reacted after all, needing some time off after such a shock.

That was a pretty good glimpse of what's to come. Shame it focused on the Night's Watch though... I'm hoping for more Dany and King's Landing in the next trailer.

I wouldn't really say "disappointing", as they were up from the previous episode, but yeah, I expected a larger live audience after the shitstorm that was the Red Wedding. Maybe a not-so-small number of viewers "threw their books across the room", so to speak, and didn't watch the finale? That is certainly a reasonable thing to expect; that's how many readers reacted after all, needing some time off after such a shock.

The Red Wedding is, generally speaking, considered the "peak" of the series so far and is certainly the most hyped plot-point the show has to offer based on the currently-published material. And let's not forget that the Red Wedding was the reason D&D wanted to create the show. The fact that the finale didn't pull in its highest viewing figures HAS to be a disappointment. (As a side-note, it looks like Dany taking Astapor led to the peak in ratings in the following episodes, and then there was a decline following 'The Climb'.)

The problem with your justification is that it just doesn't fit with how over-night TV ratings usually work. If an episode has a huge plot-twist/hyped moment, there's always a ratings increase. It happened following Ned's death, it happened on a huge scale following Blackwater, and it happened after Dany sacked Astapor.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily suggest anything about the future ratings of the show... But I'm sure that the Red Wedding was a huge selling point to HBO (we know that D&D used the promise of ASoS to get the show on the air, after all), and so I'm expecting there's less optimism about the ratings for season 4 than there was going into season 3.

Really nice-looking sword moves in the tiny teaser. I'm afraid I enjoyed way too much for something this small though. I count myself one of the lucky ones for having discovered this amazing series (both show and books) so late. Had I discovered it longer ago, I fear that by now I would be peacefully resting near a crypt after being taken over by overwhelming anxiety.

Really nice-looking sword moves in the tiny teaser. I'm afraid I enjoyed way too much for something this small though. I count myself one of the lucky ones for having discovered this amazing series (both show and books) so late. Had I discovered it longer ago, I fear that by now I would be peacefully resting near a crypt after being taken over by overwhelming anxiety.

Same. I just started reading in April, and finished the books in November. I can't imagine if I had started reading in the 90's.. :eek:

The problem with your justification is that it just doesn't fit with how over-night TV ratings usually work. If an episode has a huge plot-twist/hyped moment, there's always a ratings increase. It happened following Ned's death, it happened on a huge scale following Blackwater, and it happened after Dany sacked Astapor.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily suggest anything about the future ratings of the show... But I'm sure that the Red Wedding was a huge selling point to HBO (we know that D&D used the promise of ASoS to get the show on the air, after all), and so I'm expecting there's less optimism about the ratings for season 4 than there was going into season 3.

There *was* a ratings increase for 3x10, just not as large as expected. And I'm pretty sure some people were disgusted with the utter Stark slaughter and decided they had enough, at least for the time being. It's not unreasonable to think they missed Mhysa on purpose. It happened to some readers, it was bound to happen on the show as well.

As for Seson 4, I expect the ratings will continue to rise. All the hype surrounding the RW will prompt many people to finally check this thing out while some of the "previously disheartened" may return after cooling off.

The clips of Dany and Oberyn have got me excited already! (Although I won't lie, I'm worried about Dany's story this season... But from what I've heard so far, it sounds promising.)

There *was* a ratings increase for 3x10, just not as large as expected. And I'm pretty sure some people were disgusted with the utter Stark slaughter and decided they had enough, at least for the time being. It's not unreasonable to think they missed Mhysa on purpose. It happened to some readers, it was bound to happen on the show as well.

As for Seson 4, I expect the ratings will continue to rise. All the hype surrounding the RW will prompt many people to finally check this thing out while some of the "previously disheartened" may return after cooling off.

Like I said, it's unusual for anything like the Red Wedding to turn viewers away - particularly as there's a week-long break between episodes.

If you don't think it was disappointing, that's fine. But I don't know what word other than "disappointing" is right, even if we consider that the ratings were logical. And anyway, my point is that it may explain why HBO are pushing this season already.

Yup. There's also the "Netflix" effect, or in this case I suppose the "HBO-Go/DVD/Illegal streaming" effect where a TV series continues to increase its audience during off-season due to binge watching. This has been happening with nearly every major cable/premium TV show so no reason to think it won't continue to happen with a phenom like GOT. Look at Breaking Bad, the ratings' jumps in that series are simply astounding.

Archived