Thoughts on Jon and Sansa

Queen Alienor

Which, once she explains, Cersei would be thrilled to hear. That the queen of thrones and the little rose were responsible? I'm sure little finger loves that little trump card. We know Cersei would use Sansa to get rid of the Tyrells, even though it would lose her the kingdom.

Let's face it whoever LF gets her to marry is likely to do the exact same thing as any Lannister would have done, use her for the North.

Uh, she knows that. But that's not going to happen for some time, what with her being still officially married. She's in a bad situation, but she'd be in a worse situation if she were in KL. Are you saying you would really think you'd be safer in Cersei's paranoid hands, especially after everything Sansa had been through in KL?

Uh, she knows that. But that's not going to happen for some time, what with her being still officially married. She's in a bad situation, but she'd be in a worse situation if she were in KL. Are you saying you would really think you'd be safer in Cersei's paranoid hands, especially after everything Sansa had been through in KL?

Oh Gods no!!

I'm just saying that LF is no BETTER than Cersei

Cersei's lunacy with time is the most plausible explanation I can think of to the possibility of her being a possible descendant of Aerys instead of Tywin. Her political competency is not what it might be, in fact I wonder if she is not deteriorating with time given that she is scheming more but less successfully as time goes by.

Probably? "Probably" is not enough. He needs Dorne's support, and it's not at all that secure as you think it is, especially considering the facts that 1) they can't even be 100% sure he really is who he claims to be, and 2) there is still Dany, and the Dance of the Dragons 2.0 may very well be on the way. Dorne planned to seal the deal with Viserys and then Dany with a marriage, I don't see it going differently with Aegon.

1. Quentyn's death makes an alliance with Dany very unlikely.

2. Dorne have been waiting for an opportunity to rebel against the Lannister's for years.

3. Aegon is (supposedly) Elia Martell's son

Those three factors suggest that an alliance with Dorne is likely with or without a marriage. That's why it makes sense for Aegon to marry someone else for political reasons. The ideal candidate would be Margaery, but that looks unlikely. The next best option would be Sansa.

This is a great thread, I had never considered it but Sansa does have alot in common with Jon now. I hope Jon survives the wall to see her again.

It's funny that pople argue that Sansa has nothing going for her, comsidering that she has zero hold on the North, the Riverlands or the Vale, only a claim or a relation with a claim. And that she can't marry because of her unconsumated marriage to Tyrion.

This is all entirely correct but the same is true for Margaery (no direct possession of anything, married but still a virgin) and halfway true for Arianne as well (she is the heir, not the person in charge. And there might be some issues to someone as spoilt as Aegon that she didn't make him her first 'choice' in that one way. Sexist but totally believable of someone who flips out over a Cyvasse game, thinks the first Targaryen with dragons in centuries would marry him in a heartbeat etc.)

The thing that got Margaery on the IT are her ambitious relatives and their army. The reasons why the Tyrells are able to have an army on the first place? Surrendering Highgarden to Aegon during the Conquest, even though they were only the stewards, while the King of Reach (House Gardener) was slain on the Field of afire while being in an alliance with House Lannister.

That is an easy template to follow. (Also an easy template to follow is that of House Baratheon - slay the last king, marry his heir.) And who is the most ambitious "steward" in Westeros? Who would have no problems surrendering the Vale to Aegon in exchange for power? Who would encourage Aegon to pull a Baratheon on the Riverlands and the North? Who would know that once KL falls, the High Septon will eagerly grant any favor to its conqueror?

I am not saying that Aegon will choose Sansa but unless something really dramatic happens to LF, I think LF will totally try to seize the moment with Aegon to overreach himself through Sansa. And if LF is good at promising Aegon access to half of Westeros (North, Riverlands, Vale + Vale army), pulling the typical LF move of making people believe that he has that power , Sansa will look leagues better to Aegon than Arianne or Marge, politically. Still no competition to Dany though.

I still think Arianne is more likely, for a lot of reasons, but something could easily go wrong there and without Dany in Westeros Sansa would be the next logical candidate for Aegon. Especially since some of the following might well happen...

1. The Bolton's are destroyed-VERY likely and if so then Sansa is in line for WF again or older sister to the heir of Winterfell, Rickon. Either way, she brings the North in play.

2. Something unfortunate happens to Edmure and Roslin. Again highly, likely, considering how much Emmon Frey and Genna LAnnister want them both dead. Or LF could see to it himself, to secure Sansa's claim on the Riverlands, knowing the Frey's will never be able to keep Riverrun.

3. Sansa's marriage to Tyrion Lannister is annulled. Entirely possible-there are a number of potential legal reasons to have it set aside, and LF has all sorts of connections...I somehow think he wouldn't be making so many plans for Sansa, (or waited until after her wedding to bring her out of KL,) if he hadn't believed he could get her out of the marriage.

Though, really, I think LF is still hoping to marry her himself.

I believe sansa at the end will be a mother figure for the survivor.she will be the lady of winterfell / lady of vale, .Jon an sansa will get along well. I hope the surviving starks get back together early in winds of winter but dawn of spring is more likely for a reunion.

I may just be overly cynical because of GRRM's willingness to butcher main characters but I don't see the Starks having a happy ending. At least not in the traditional sense.

It's funny that pople argue that Sansa has nothing going for her, comsidering that she has zero hold on the North, the Riverlands or the Vale, only a claim or a relation with a claim. And that she can't marry because of her unconsumated marriage to Tyrion.

This is all entirely correct but the same is true for Margaery (no direct possession of anything, married but still a virgin) and halfway true for Arianne as well (she is the heir, not the person in charge. And there might be some issues to someone as spoilt as Aegon that she didn't make him her first 'choice' in that one way. Sexist but totally believable of someone who flips out over a Cyvasse game, thinks the first Targaryen with dragons in centuries would marry him in a heartbeat etc.)

The difference between Arianna's and Sansa's current ability to get married is huge. Sansa is officially married and also wanted for regicide; she can't ask for annulment without announcing who she is, which she can't do unless the charges are revoked. A lot of things have to change and fall into place for Sansa to even become a viable candidate for marriage for Aegon or whoever. Arianne isn't married and can marry any time. I don't know what Margaery has to do with it, I wasn't arguing that she's a more likely candidate to marry Aegon. She has been widowed two times; she may end her marriage to Tommen, if 1) he dies, 2) the Lannisters' fortunes go down so much that the Tyrells decide to jump ship. Of course, she first has to be declared innocent in her trial.

If Aegon refuses Arianne because she's not a virgin, he'll alienate Dorne, his main potential supporters, which would mean he's an idiot and he's not likely to be long for this world. Which is entirely possible (providing he's the one who makes that decision). He doesn't seem incredibly smart. But really, rejecting the support of Dorne in favor of a completely unsure support for the North, who could, for all we know, decide that they will have a new King in the North instead of giving their armies to some Targ pretender, would be an idiotic move. Marrying Sansa to get the North seems like something to possibly do once you've already gained and secured the IT, not while you're still fighting to gain it.

I think so too

Jon will risk his life for her, Sansa will finally have her "true" knight.

Well, Jon is already the hero she wished for, though she doesn't know it:

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold- cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head.
(from Sansa VI, AGOT)

The difference between Arianna's and Sansa's current ability to get married is huge. Sansa is officially married and also wanted for regicide

The marriage wasn't consummated so it can easily be annulled. And why would Aegon care whether she killed Joffrey or not?

A lot of things have to change and fall into place for Sansa to even become a viable candidate for marriage for Aegon or whoever.

Not really. All that needs to happens is the for Lanisters to lose their grip on the throne, and that's already happening.

The marriage wasn't consummated so it can easily be annulled. And why would Aegon care whether she killed Joffrey or not?

Not really. All that needs to happens is the for Lanisters to lose their grip on the throne, and that's already happening.

Aegon wouldn't. But Aegon would first have to be in the position to decide these things, which would only be after he's already won the Iron Throne. My question is, why would he go for a marriage to Sansa while he's trying to win the IT?

Archived