Dany's forces at the end of TWOW

dbunting

Once Dany & Tyrion meet, it will become Obvious that he is the 3rd head of the dragon (we all know John snow is the 2nd).

Dany will stay In Essos to rule.

Tyrion will conquer the Lands Below the Neck.

John Targaryen will be king of the North.

the targaryen's will rule the known world, peace & prosperity will reign in all the lands.

if I write this, it would be 2,000 pages less...

This is purely my thoughts based on what has been happening and where everyone is.Dany has her unsullied army, her infantry.Dany is about to roast a Khal and take his men, then go to Dosh Khaleen and unite the rest of the Dothraki by showing up on her mount(Dragon), her calvary / archers.Barriston is training knights currently for her, plus she has some sellsword company's still.Victarion is heading to her with a fleet of ships, he will likely break the blockade and take even more ships for her fleet, her Navy.She already has the only air force in all of Westeros, dragons.So assuming this happens, she has 8000+ infantry100,000 Dothraki(if I remember the number right) as her calvary / archersUnknown number of knights, I would include the sell swords here just due to experienceVictarions fleet3 dragonsMy question, who can match her? I don't mean if ALL of Westeros joined together in harmony, I mean, what force that is still around can match that?

Three words: battle.of.mereen

Her forces will be significantly compromised.

So, we aren't sure as to how the timeline lays between Dany running into the Khal, & the build up for the battle of Meereen. It is possible that she ran I to the Khal long before the batte, and returns just in time to "save the day", though I don't think George writes such simple plots...

No, here's my opinion. The Yunkai are weak, & worthless. They get wiped out by the combined might of Victarion, the sellswords who Tyrion will convince to turn & support Dany (of course he will), & Dany's forces. The fleet from Volantis will turn & run, because they won't risk the loss once they see the dragons (or, the dragons will wipe them out).

Dany will return as Supreme Khaleesi, w/ 40,000 Dothraki in tow, just in time to destroy Victarion & his forces, who are causing all sorts of problems AFTER The Battle of Meereen.

Tyrion takes a dragon to Westeros, while Dany stays in Meereen to free the rest of Essos.

So, we aren't sure as to how the timeline lays between Dany running into the Khal, & the build up for the battle of Meereen. It is possible that she ran I to the Khal long before the batte, and returns just in time to "save the day", though I don't think George writes such simple plots...

It's funny you say this, I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but... Didn't Tywin show up just in time with the Tyrells to say KL? Didn't Stannis show up just in time to route the wildlings?

How to transport, naval fleet helps with that, rest can ride their horses, thats how you would do it in real life. Feed, same as all the other armies do, take what you need along the way.

As to the dragons, I somewhat agree, they are the game changers. But if she didn't have the military along with it a large enough group could kill her, then her dragons are simply wild and not used as weapons.

Ride their horses across the Narrow Sea? Good luck with that. Seahorses, as Patchface suggests?

Transporting cavalry has been discussed before. You need remounts, so that would be maybe 3 horses per rider so 300,000 horses, plus fodder plus water for those in addition to the riders. The Dothraki won't leave their families behind unprotected because they'd be captured and sold for slaves so you'd have to transport them, too. And the Dothraki won't willingly travel on the bitter water in the first place.

Not feasible.

@ shadrich

Dragons are uncontrollable? UMM, how did the Targareyen dynasty conquer Westeros the first several hundred years?

Dany's got the only dragons and they are not trained. She has partial control of Drogon, none over the other two. Those others you mention have been dead for over 100 years.

No, here's my opinion. The Yunkai are weak, & worthless. They get wiped out by the combined might of Victarion, the sellswords who Tyrion will convince to turn & support Dany (of course he will), & Dany's forces. The fleet from Volantis will turn & run, because they won't risk the loss once they see the dragons (or, the dragons will wipe them out).

Dany will return as Supreme Khaleesi, w/ 40,000 Dothraki in tow, just in time to destroy Victarion & his forces, who are causing all sorts of problems AFTER The Battle of Meereen.

Tyrion takes a dragon to Westeros, while Dany stays in Meereen to free the rest of Essos.

Wouldn't that be a little bit too simple?

Will she need any ships? If it gets really really cold in the north more water will freeze leading to a lowering of sea levels and maybe a land bridge between Essos and Westeros @ the Stepstones. The Steptones were once 12,000 years ago called the Arm of Dorne a land bridge that linked Westeros and Essos this is how the First Men invaded Westeros. Maybe the sea itself will freeze over further north

Will she need any ships? If it gets really really cold in the north more water will freeze leading to a lowering of sea levels and maybe a land bridge between Essos and Westeros @ the Stepstones. The Steptones were once 12,000 years ago called the Arm of Dorne a land bridge that linked Westeros and Essos this is how the First Men invaded Westeros. Maybe the sea itself will freeze over further north

If she was marching a 100k army in so cold that a sea had frozen over there wouldn't be any army left by the time she got to Westeros.

@ Light a wight

Dany's got the only dragons and they are not trained. She has partial control of Drogon, none over the other two. Those others you mention have been dead for over 100 years.

Yes, she only has partial control over Dragon. She has spent basically zero time training him and yet she has already got partial control. How much control can she have after 2 years of training? Remember, this whole thing is based on where she is at the end of the next book, not where she is now.

@ Light a wight

Yes, she only has partial control over Dragon. She has spent basically zero time training him and yet she has already got partial control. How much control can she have after 2 years of training? Remember, this whole thing is based on where she is at the end of the next book, not where she is now.

Think you mean Drogon, there.

The way things are going there's no indication that she'll be anywhere but Essos at the end of Winds of Winter. All your points are speculation, starting with roasting Khal Bozo. Getting every Dothraki screamer and his brother-in-law to join her army. Barristan being able to train more than a few dozen knights in the time available. Victarion being able to supply enough ships for the army she doesn't have yet. Trained dragons (she lacks clue one about training a dragon to fight).

Oh, and you saw how well Stannis's cavalry worked in the snow. You think the Dothraki will be even that effective, lacking anything resembling cold weather gear? Those darling rawhide vests may be just the thing in a leather bar but not in Westeros in the real Winter.

If she was marching a 100k army in so cold that a sea had frozen over there wouldn't be any army left by the time she got to Westeros.

In 1658 a Swedish Army of 12,000 including 9000 cavalry crossed a frozen sea to attack Denmark. The ice warped under the weight of the soldiers; on occasions water reached up to the men's knees. It was risky but vastly successful

In 1945 450,000 Germans walked across the frozen Vistula Bay to escape the Red Army

In 1658 a Swedish Army of 12,000 including 9000 cavalry crossed a frozen sea to attack Denmark. The ice warped under the weight of the soldiers; on occasions water reached up to the men's knees. It was risky but vastly successful

In 1945 450,000 Germans walked across the frozen Vistula Bay to escape the Red Army

Not sure about the Narrow Sea but it certanly looks a lot bigger on the map then the Kattegat or the Vistula bay, (don't know the westeros map's scale) and I would assume that it would have to be a lot colder for a body of water that large to freeze.

I would say that marching through the Narrow Sea would be like marching through the North Sea from Norway to the UK.

EDIT: Also look at how Stannis managed to march in the cold and snow. Having a sea frozen would mean colder then that, the dothraki who probably never even saw snow before would never make it.

Not sure about the Narrow Sea but it certanly looks a lot bigger on the map then the Kattegat or the Vistula bay, (don't know the westeros map's scale) and I would assume that it would have to be a lot colder for a body of water that large to freeze.

I would say that marching through the Narrow Sea would be like marching through the North Sea from Norway to the UK.

EDIT: Also look at how Stannis managed to march in the cold and snow. Having a sea frozen would mean colder then that, the dothraki who probably never even saw snow before would never make it.

Some scientists do believe Europeans crossed the frozen North Atlantic during the last Ice Age. Much of the North Sea was actually above sea level in the last ice age. There are accounts of the English Channel freezing between Dover and Calais in 1693/4

On the map the distance from Essos to The Vale over the sea looks slightly shorter than the distance between Deepwood Motte and Winterfell (estimate 275 miles if a league equals 3 miles)

Crackclaw point looks a little shorter still (250 miles) and Dorne about half the length (140 miles). The distances to travel are a fantasy but no more of a fantasy than building a wall of ice 700ft high 300 miles long. (if the wall is partly inspired by Hadrians Wall which was just 20ft high and 75 miles long, then a march across a frozen sea could be inspired by a Swedish Army marching across lets say 10 miles of ice)

The story is that the original land bridge between Essos and Westeros was destroyed by magic if that was possible then the reverse is also possible. If the land bridge was swallowed by rising sea levels then it could re-appear in the Westerosi equivalent of an ice age. If Dany is mainly wanting to get to the north to fight the others it would be ironic if she had to enter Westeros at its southernmost point

Thinking by the time Dany heads for Westeros, the White Walkers will be invading, so that will be her first battle. All of the other BS will occur after. Dany saves the realm from their scary fairytale and then settle what needs to be done. Who sits the IT.

I don't think the iron fleet + captured ships are gonna be able to transport all those armies.

And again, how does she intend to feed this army of 100k+ troops?

Not saying this will happen, but the Iron Fleet + captured ships + sellsails hired with plunder should be enough to at least get most of them across. I don't think she has any intention of bringing the Freedmen with her to Westeros - that would defeat the whole purpose of the war in Slaver's Bay, which was to secure them a free home of their own.

Dany's best bet would be to take the Capitol ASAP and consolidate her control there while offering alliances to Westerosi lords. Leading a Host across the country would likely end in disaster

That's awesome. Could you provide a link or the name of this conflict? I'd like to learn more

OP

Dany will be probably conquering most of Essos (stallion who will mount the world) and whilst this will give her huge reservoir of food, ships and money it will also mean leaving a lot of her army behind to garrison and keep these territories.

Also, speed may force her to send a smaller force which can be quickly assembled. Either because Aegon could secure the country before her or she has a chance to take Kings Landing before him, or because the Wall falls and the others are invading. So rather than a big military build up in which she sends every soldier in Essos over she instead takes a smaller force and relies on the Westerosi allies. However I imagine that by the time the war for the dawn is the main deal that crazy numbers of Essosi soldiers will have been sent over ala The Last Battle from Wheel of Time. Everybody in the world having a stake in stopping the Others. Hell, I imagine that almost all of the food will have to come from warmer Essos for Dany to continue a campaign. This could put further logistical limitations to her army.

Plus, Dany conquering Essos will create a lot of chaos and problems in the Free Cities. It would take time to cobble together various armies, resources, muster troops, get supplies, make new weapons and armor. Her composite force atm isn't united although as shown with her Free Companies in Meereen she has no shortage of people in Essos willing to join her (Rhollor worshippers and freed slaves). But turning them into an army will take time.

Not all the Dothraki will be willing to cross the poison water. They will probably only do this once the Narrow Sea freezes over and then they can cross en masse. As pointed out above, the Game of Thrones should be over by then and the battle against the Others the main event.

Basically Dany will have some restrictions put on her troop numbers until the Others arrive and then she'll get full access to her forces.

Three words: battle.of.mereen

Her forces will be significantly compromised.

I don't think so. I would be a pointless diversion to have her suffer a setback and kill of large numbers of her forces or suffer a defeat. We all know she is going to get to Westeros and besides, the replacements of Dothraki vastly outnumber her current army. Even if ALL of her forces in Meereen were totally destroyed and the Ironborn/mercs; she could still unite the dothraki and get 100,000+ riders and she can always raise new troops in conquered lands.

Archived