Is Bran The Prince Who Was Promised?

Daendrew

The main point is that the GHH prophecy tells that TPtwP would be from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. So it's either Dany, or Dany, or Dany, or Jon - one of these four seeing that Aegon is fake. :)

GHH prophecy may not be referring to the actual TPtwP theory.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100946-the-woods-witch-prophecy-a-gigantic-red-herring/

Not my original idea, but still.

It would be undeniable if the prophecies were false though.

a guy with a crazy dad runs away with a highlords only daughter who happens to be a highlords future wife and he is already married with another highlords daughter.He is the heir to the throne he alienates 3 of the 7 kingdoms at the same time!!!!!He is stupid it's already undeniable :rofl:

GHH prophecy may not be referring to the actual TPtwP theory.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100946-the-woods-witch-prophecy-a-gigantic-red-herring/

Not my original idea, but still.

I read your thread. The point you make is that maybe these prophecies will in the end prove to be false or misleading. That is a possibility, but if the prophrecy is correct then the only lead we have on the matter is GHH's words.

He is not a Targ, he is not TPTWP.

I believe that after the DotD 2.0, the lords and small folks will reject her because of her role in the bloody affair. And when she is about to take King's Landing, she will be ambushed by Stannis. She will kill Stannis, but the Northmen will retreat to Winterfell. There she finds Rickon and is about to kill him, but Jon step in at the last moment and reveal that R+L=J is true, and that he is the rightful heir to the throne. Daenerys gives him an magical test that should prove his lineage: Jon should mount a dragon. He wargs Drogon, and afterwards, he commands that she brings the dragons to the Wall to stop the Others.

Daenerys having lost the throne to Jon, dies alone, in childbirth.

Agree.

I doubt a Catelyn spawn will achieve such greatness..

You might not be able to find a Cat hater like me it those forums, but to be fair her son is a demigod.

I like Robb, I really do but he was so incredibly stupid sometimes.

Too true, too true.

OT: I like the idea of Bran as the Last Hero, and think most of the signs we have seen so far point to this. Not sure about the companions part though, as they are clearly still alive (even setting Jojen paste crackpottera aside)

He is building up to be the most powerful human being in the world, with his prophetic abilities, weirnet access, warging/skinchanging and perhaps accessing the power of the Children like the hammer etc.

Why would that make him the Prince That Was Promised? That was a Targaryen prophecy that had to do with their greatness, the return of dragons, things like that. He wasn't "born among salt and smoke" and doesn't have anything to do with that prophecy.

In general, why do people think that there can be just one person in the series who is "special" and that they have to be TPTWP, Azor Ahai, a dragonrider, probably the second coming of Christ and I don't know what else, all in one person?

I don't even think that Azor Ahai and the Prince that was Promised have to be the same person. But in any case, I really don't see Bran as either, nor can I see him as a potential dragonrider. He isn't connected to R'hillor, fire, dragons or the Targaryens. He is connected to the old gods and Children of the Forest. And I do think he's going to end up as the most powerful being in the story.

So if someone thinks Jon is AA then he won't be? Not sure how that logic works, cause Mel is on the cusp.

Personally I think it's going to be three hero's Bran is the last hero, Jon is AA, and Dany is the PTWP.

Bran goes north with Hodor, his wolf and Brandon's sword. If Hodor who Bran rides around in happens to mean horse in the old tongue then he is tied to the last hero. Sword, dog, horse. Of course the Norse mythology is more than evident.

Dany has fulfilled a prophecy about dragons, TPTWP prophecy.

Jon is currently lined up for LB prophecy.

All the same but all different, this dragon has 3 heads.

What is funny as it is rather obvious yet people fight for only one character to be this or that. Because that is their favorite character, so they ignore the obvious, ignore Martins own words and always pick one person. It's the story of Westeros, not one character. You think he gave you 20 odd pov's because it's about Jon or Dany? Really? People trying to prove who is what, when they never read Martins description of prophecy or what he thinks of them. They don't occur how you think, they can often be self fulfilling, and they can fulfill in more than one way. Three has been and will continue to be his number. The books over flow with it.

I completely agree and have said as much many times. I know people get hung up on Aemon and Benerro calling Dany PTWP or AAR, but in all honesty GRRM called her out first, when he had her step into a pyre of fire, hatch three dragons, and step out, unburned. Additionally, we know that Bran is awesom and we expected fromt he begining for Jon to be a hero. I also expect a lot of our favorite supporting characters to have important roles in the war, thus why we have so many POV's.

So if someone thinks Jon is AA then he won't be? Not sure how that logic works, cause Mel is on the cusp.

Personally I think it's going to be three hero's Bran is the last hero, Jon is AA, and Dany is the PTWP.

Bran goes north with Hodor, his wolf and Brandon's sword. If Hodor who Bran rides around in happens to mean horse in the old tongue then he is tied to the last hero. Sword, dog, horse. Of course the Norse mythology is more than evident.

Dany has fulfilled a prophecy about dragons, TPTWP prophecy.

Jon is currently lined up for LB prophecy.

All the same but all different, this dragon has 3 heads.

What is funny as it is rather obvious yet people fight for only one character to be this or that. Because that is their favorite character, so they ignore the obvious, ignore Martins own words and always pick one person. It's the story of Westeros, not one character. You think he gave you 20 odd pov's because it's about Jon or Dany? Really? People trying to prove who is what, when they never read Martins description of prophecy or what he thinks of them. They don't occur how you think, they can often be self fulfilling, and they can fulfill in more than one way. Three has been and will continue to be his number. The books over flow with it.

I like your thinking.

Most of the threads/posts on this subject can be summed up by "this is my favorite character, so they're going to be TPTWP, Azor Ahai, the Last Hero and the second coming of Christ, and everyone else is a crazy usurper who is going to meet a bad end, and their fans are going to see that they never were the real deal, muhaha".

I completely agree and have said as much many times. I know people get hung up on Aemon and Benerro calling Dany PTWP or AAR, but in all honesty GRRM called her out first, when he had her step into a pyre of fire, hatch three dragons, and step out, unburned. Additionally, we know that Bran is awesom and we expected fromt he begining for Jon to be a hero. I also expect a lot of our favorite supporting characters to have important roles in the war, thus why we have so many POV's.

:agree:

I believe that after the DotD 2.0, the lords and small folks will reject her because of her role in the bloody affair. And when she is about to take King's Landing, she will be ambushed by Stannis. She will kill Stannis, but the Northmen will retreat to Winterfell. There she finds Rickon and is about to kill him, but Jon step in at the last moment and reveal that R+L=J is true, and that he is the rightful heir to the throne. Daenerys gives him an magical test that should prove his lineage: Jon should mount a dragon. He wargs Drogon, and afterwards, he commands that she brings the dragons to the Wall to stop the Others.

Daenerys having lost the throne to Jon, dies alone, in childbirth.

I think it will be Davos that kills Stannis. His "good angel" prevails.

Davos serves as his conscience, thats why he keeps imprisoning him, to supress it.

And by then Stannis may be King of Winter/The Others. Not focused on the Stormlands.

This make sense in the context of the Prince that Was Promised prophecy; the quote I highlighted above meant that Jon was concealed for much of his life because of a promise Ned made to his sister on her deathbed. And the promise? To keep Jon safe from Robert Baratheon.

Grammar says that this doesn't work. "Promise me, Ned" means that Lyanna was promised (Lyanna being the indirect object of the sentence "Ned promised Lyanna to keep Jon safe") and that Ned keeping Jon safe was promised (as the direct object of the sentence). In no way does that make Jon someone that was "promised"; he wasn't "promised" in either meaning of the word.

Grammar says that this doesn't work. "Promise me, Ned" means that Lyanna was promised (Lyanna being the indirect object of the sentence "Ned promised Lyanna to keep Jon safe") and that Ned keeping Jon safe was promised (as the direct object of the sentence). In no way does that make Jon someone that was "promised"; he wasn't "promised" in either meaning of the word.

:bowdown:

Thank you for explaining that.

It's a very old prophesy. I think there's room for manoeuvre on the imperfect grammar.

"Promise me, Ned. Promise me you will not tell a soul who Jon is until the time is right for him to take back the throne."

Archived