House Yronwood

Dead-ard Stark

.... Maybe its a little crackpot, but I am curious as to how closely the Bloodroyal's identify with a decent from the first men. The name Yohn Royce, from a house that prides itself on such a conection, does seem to make me think that there something going on in terms of a shared history. Just like York was once Jorvik (pronounce like a Y) there could be a history with the word choice that we haven't seen from GRRM.

I always pronounce it Ironwood in my head. Is there an audiobook of Dance? If so Dotrice's pronouncement might be the correct one.

I have all 5 Roy Dotrice audiobooks and listened to them before reading the books. But he is very inconsistent in his pronunciation from book to book, and they left a lot of mistakes in along the way. But he always uses Ironwood, Bronze Yon, Aa-nees, Air-Rees, U-Ron, Air-Ron, Damp-fair, Tie-e-na, Ray-Ella, Ray-El, Jen-Dree, Gil-ee and E-Grit.

` I always pronounced it Ironwood and Damp-hair. Ygritte as Ee-grit. Bronze is interesting, as I always pronounce it as Bronze Yawn, it's much cooler and rhymes.

I always pronounce the ae like the aero in aeronautics. Aerys is Eh-rees and Aegon as Egg-n and Aemon as Eh-men. But I don't think Martin is consistent, as Rhaegar looks to me like Ray-gar.

Euron is You-ron and Aeron is Eh-ren.

I think of it as Ironwood.

The female Targaryen names are tricky. Rhae, Aegon V's sister, I think of as Ray. And Rhaena I think of as Ray-na, and Rhaenys as Ray-nees/Ray-niss, kind of in between there. But Rhaelle and Rhaella, for some reason I think of Ray-elle and Ray-ella. Rail-la is OK but Rail as a phonetic sound is just weird to me.

The Iron Islands names trip me up on the accents. Theon is apparently Thee-ON, not THAY-on. And Bay-LON, not BAY-lun.

` Balon tripped me up for a while. Initially I settled on Bah-len. Then when people started calling him Failin' Balon (Bay-len) I realized that was a better, and easier, pronunciation. But I think on the show he's called Bay-lon.

The female Targaryen names are tricky. Rhae, Aegon V's sister, I think of as Ray. And Rhaena I think of as Ray-na, and Rhaenys as Ray-nees/Ray-niss, kind of in between there. But Rhaelle and Rhaella, for some reason I think of Ray-elle and Ray-ella. Rail-la is OK but Rail as a phonetic sound is just weird to me.

The male Targaryen names have their own issues.

Like, in The Princess and the Queen, Rhaenyra's second son is Lucerys, which my instinct would be to pronounce as Loo-sair-is, but his nickname is "Luke", which would imply that it's Loo-care-is.

The Y is actually an I, so it's Ironwood, like in Blackfyre...

I really hate that whole Y <-> I thing...

btw I think it means the house might have some Valyrian roots, all the Valyrian words and names we know so far don't have the letter "I" in them, instead only "Y"s.

Y's usually stands for I's in the surnames.

Redwyne= Red Wine

Yronwood= Iron Wood

Blackfyre= Black Fire

Blacktyde= Black Tide

Pyke= Pike

In this cases, consistency would imply "Targarien" and "Valirian" isn't it? How do you pronounce those?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived