NFL MMXIII-MMXIV: Roman Numerals Edition

Independent George

Really the only change I'd make is put GB-Den at #2 just because the significance of the game made every play seem so much more intense than the beautiful plays of Cardinals-Steelers. I mean did anyone really care if a 9-7 Cardinals team became the worst team ever with a ring or if Big Ben got a second?

John Elway helicoptering was nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as Santonio Holmes' brilliant game-winning toe-touch catch but knowing what was on the line and the emotion of the moment, it's infinitely more exhilarating.

That's a really good point, especially because I elevated XLII specifically for the historical significance; on further reflection, I agree with you. I don't want to change the post, but in my head I'm now putting XXXII second.

Elway helicoptering wasn't as pretty, but part of what makes football special is the grittiness combined with the athleticism. Elway was a creaky 37-year old man with nowhere near the athleticism he had when he was younger, but he dove headfirst into contact with zero hesitation. What it lacked in artistry he made up for in sheer emotion.

Rating the Super Bowls since 1985 (when I first started watching football)

10. XXXVII (NE def CAR 32-29): A boring game with a phenomenal finish - that was one of the great 4th quarters in history, but the first three quarters were largely forgettable. Literally, not figuratively - the most significant events of the first three quarters was Vinatieri missing two easy FGs which would have made the closing moot had he sunk them.

I have no problem with your list aside from this entry. Are you thinking of a different game? I'll admit that the first 27 minutes were mostly a defensive struggle, although still entertaining enough. But here's what happened right before halftime:

3:05 - Brady touchdown to Branch, 7-0 Patriots

1:09 - Carolina drives 95 yards in 8 plays, finishing with a 39 yard pass to Steve Smith, 7-7

0:18 - Brady drives 78 yards in less than a minute, touchdown to Givens, 14-7.

0:00 - Carolina has a big return and a big pass play in less than 20 seconds to set up a field goal at halftime, 14-10 Pats.

Considering the game was a 0-0 defensive slugfest just a few moments before, this was the most unexpected and exciting end to a half I've ever seen (yes I remember Harrison's touchdown, but that was just one play). The fourth quarter was even better, and this remains one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

I have no problem with your list aside from this entry. Are you thinking of a different game? I'll admit that the first 27 minutes were mostly a defensive struggle, although still entertaining enough. But here's what happened right before halftime:

3:05 - Brady touchdown to Branch, 7-0 Patriots

1:09 - Carolina drives 95 yards in 8 plays, finishing with a 39 yard pass to Steve Smith, 7-7

0:18 - Brady drives 78 yards in less than a minute, touchdown to Givens, 14-7.

0:00 - Carolina has a big return and a big pass play in less than 20 seconds to set up a field goal at halftime, 14-10 Pats.

Considering the game was a 0-0 defensive slugfest just a few moments before, this was the most unexpected and exciting end to a half I've ever seen (yes I remember Harrison's touchdown, but that was just one play). The fourth quarter was even better, and this remains one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

This is the game I bring up when people say Brady was just a game manager until he got Randy Moss and Wes Welker in 2007. Yes, he was helped immeasurably earlier in his career by an excellent defense. But in this game, Rodney Harrison got injured, and all of a sudden Delhomme was heaving up bombs to Steve Smith and Moose Muhammad. Playing against a tough defense himself, Brady had to win a shootout.

You can't walk to, be dropped off at, or take a cab to the Superbowl. Oh, and no tailgating as well. Enjoy your $51.00 shuttle ride...

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/28/super-bowl-rules-transportation-nfl-bans-walking/

Not that I'd ever attend anyway, but this would absolutely prevent me from even considering it.

You can't walk to, be dropped off at, or take a cab to the Superbowl. Oh, and no tailgating as well. Enjoy your $51.00 shuttle ride...

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/28/super-bowl-rules-transportation-nfl-bans-walking/

Not that I'd ever attend anyway, but this would absolutely prevent me from even considering it.

Yeah I find it very hard to support the NFL. They are among the skeeviest corporations around, and that's saying something, considering the competition. Really wish competition was possible, but with the state-sanctioned monopoly they've been given it's not possible.

Yeah I find it very hard to support the NFL. They are among the skeeviest corporations around, and that's saying something, considering the competition. Really wish competition was possible, but with the state-sanctioned monopoly they've been given it's not possible.

It's pretty outrageous. Supposedly there's normally a bus that runs from the Port Authority to the Meadowlands on gamedays that costs about 8 bucks. But that's not running on Superbowl Sunday. Seems illegal, really.

Yes, the greatest Superbowl of all time that featured a clash of titans at the respective QB positions. Fetushead v Sex Cannon will forever be remembered as an epic struggle of Fiveheads and Unleashed Dragons...

You're damn right it will be. :P

In other news, John Elway is clearly trying to antagonize Peyton into coming back for a few more years.

I don't really understand the complaints about football being overhyped. I personally reel in the week leading up to the Superbowl because my sports talk shows and television have people on that I never get to see and hear from. I think that it is by far the most useless information of the year, but I still love all of the pomp and circumstance that goes into the game. It is like a holiday for me...

Oh, and best Superbowls...

92 Cowboys and 85 Bears.... both blowouts...

Adam Vinatieri suggests that 50+ yard FGs be worth 4 points...

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/american-football/indianapolis-colts/news/vinatieri-calls-for-addition-field-goal-point_133835.html

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about that.

Terrible idea for the game. Does any fan want more field goal attempts a game? Moreover, if a team is down by 4 late aren't we going to start seeing teams purposely stopping a drive at the opposing 33 yard line so that they still qualify for the 4 point field goal as opposed to taking the added risk of going for the game winning TD?

Lastly we shouldn't extra reward kickers for making long kicks in an era where guys are already making 50 yarders at an unprecedented rate. I get why a kicker came up with the idea but from a big picture standpoint the incentives are all wrong. Let's not reward teams extra for not getting closer to an opposing end zone.

Does any fan want more field goal attempts a game?

Let's not reward teams extra for not getting closer to an opposing end zone.

Yeah, those are the two big sticking points right there. I wouldn't have a huge problem with a team angling for that 4 pointer though. It's not like a 50+ yarder is a high percentage play for anyone other than the very best kickers. That being said, more FG attempts=Fail.

Why not just narrow the goal posts? They already moved it from the front to the back of the end zone; narrowing them by a few yards until you get the percentage you want shouldn't be a big deal. And while you're at it, put cameras into the top of the goal posts to eliminate all doubt as to whether or not the ball went through the uprights.

Adam Vinatieri suggests that 50+ yard FGs be worth 4 points...

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/american-football/indianapolis-colts/news/vinatieri-calls-for-addition-field-goal-point_133835.html

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about that.

Bah. Your reward for kicking the extra long field goal is getting your team points despite the fact that they weren't able to move the ball past the 32 yard line. Vinatieri, no matter how clutch you are, you're the guy in the orchestra that plays the triangle. Don't be lobbying for more notes.

Terrible idea for the game. Does any fan want more field goal attempts a game? Moreover, if a team is down by 4 late aren't we going to start seeing teams purposely stopping a drive at the opposing 33 yard line so that they still qualify for the 4 point field goal as opposed to taking the added risk of going for the game winning TD?

Lastly we shouldn't extra reward kickers for making long kicks in an era where guys are already making 50 yarders at an unprecedented rate. I get why a kicker came up with the idea but from a big picture standpoint the incentives are all wrong. Let's not reward teams extra for not getting closer to an opposing end zone.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with it if it was 60 yarders. 50 yarders are too high a percentage play though, it would seriously warp the game.

I've also always believed that a shot from behind half court should be worth 4 points in basketball.

I still give the slightest edge to the Broncos but the one X-factor that could flip that in my mind is Percy Harvin. I don't know how healthy he is but he potentially presents the added dimension that the Seahawks sorely needs. Unless he still isn't right, a TO like Superbowl performande doesn't seem outta the question. We just haven't had the chance to see what he can do for that offense because the second he comes back the Saints knock him outta the game. But I still remember the guy as basically a one man offense on the Vikings before AP got fully right. The guy can be terrifying to play against.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with it if it was 60 yarders. 50 yarders are too high a percentage play though, it would seriously warp the game.

I've also always believed that a shot from behind half court should be worth 4 points in basketball.

I like the idea for basketball. If a half court shot is like a 10% proposition it adds a fun hail mary aspect to end of games without fundamentally affecting how the game is played.

A 60+ yard FG maybe about the same probability but I still don't like it because it undermines the central tenet of football that you're always fighting for field position and trying to get closer to their end zone. Basketball doesn't get undermined in the same way and was actually improved by the floor spacing the 3 point line provided.

A 60+ yard FG maybe about the same probability but I still don't like it because it undermines the central tenet of football that you're always fighting for field position and trying to get closer to their end zone. Basketball doesn't get undermined in the same way and was actually improved by the floor spacing the 3 point line provided.

My feelings exactly. Teams shouldn't be rewarded for failing to advance the ball. I think I'd rather see field goals abolished than see more points for longer yardage.

Archived