NFL MMXIII-MMXIV: Roman Numerals Edition

Independent George

I think the Donks take it 27-13. Seattle might jump out to an early lead, but I think Manning will dominate the possession battle and grind out that defense (even with a bruised Moreno). The way Denver shut the door on the Pats run game has me worried about Seattle's chances to pound it with Lynch.

This is where I put it and I think they only score a TD in garbage time.

I like Percy, but I think he's going to be a non-factor in this game. The winds are supposed to be anywhere between 15-20 mph here on Sunday. Seattle will need to establish the run, if they are going to have any chance at offensive points. Fortunately, they have one of the few RBs that can take the sort of pounding needed for that to happen.

On the other hand, I think Denver will be okay with the pass since Welker, Decker, and JT, will be effective in the underneath game. Peyton cannot be reckless with his decisions in the passing game, and I see no evidence in him doing so. A big part on Seattle's dominance on DEF has been their ability to create turnovers.

I don't have any dogs in this fight, but I've been excited to see this match-up all year.

I don't want to pick this game.

I'm mad that if Seattle wins, dopes will talk shit about Manning's playoff resume. Fuck those people.

I'm mad that if Denver wins, other dopes (actually frequently the same dopes) will act like Sherman got his comeuppance. Fuck those people.

I'm the worst kind of pessimist.

Anyhow, on to the game. I've got Seattle, 27-23. Against the Chargers and Pats, Denver has demonstrated a terrifying... I dunno, lack of killer instinct? at the ends of drives. They kick way too many field goals, leaving opponents in games late, and I think it bites the in the ass on Sunday with three field goals.

I don't want to pick this game.

I'm mad that if Seattle wins, dopes will talk shit about Manning's playoff resume. Fuck those people.

I'm mad that if Denver wins, other dopes (actually frequently the same dopes) will act like Sherman got his comeuppance. Fuck those people.

I'm the worst kind of pessimist.

Anyhow, on to the game. I've got Seattle, 27-23. Against the Chargers and Pats, Denver has demonstrated a terrifying... I dunno, lack of killer instinct? at the ends of drives. They kick way too many field goals, leaving opponents in games late, and I think it bites the in the ass on Sunday with three field goals.

San Diego and New England are very different than Seattle offensively. By that, I mean that SD and NE don't suck on offense. If Denver performs like it has the last two games, they win easily. If they were gonna get beat for not finishing drives, it would have happened already.

I don't really agree with that. I think Seattle is going to control field position for much of the game, and I think they'll score enough. Nothing Denver does on defense particularly scares me, and I think you're choosing to underestimate Seattle's offense. The gap in that matchup is way more pronounced than in the mirror.

ETA: and, New England as presently constituted (missing two o-linemen, Gronk) does kind of suck on offense. They're not Minnesota bad or anything, but they aren't good.

I don't really agree with that. I think Seattle is going to control field position for much of the game, and I think they'll score enough. Nothing Denver does on defense particularly scares me, and I think you're choosing to underestimate Seattle's offense. The gap in that matchup is way more pronounced than in the mirror.

ETA: and, New England as presently constituted (missing two o-linemen, Gronk) does kind of suck on offense. They're not Minnesota bad or anything, but they aren't good.

Unless I'm mistaken, they were top five in yards and points scored (NE). Mostly without Gronk. Nothing Seattle does on offense particularly scares me, and I think you're choosing to underestimate Denver's defense.

Don't forget that Seattle performs poorly away from Seattle.

As for Denver, their run defense has been particularly stout. They outright stoned the two hot running games of the Chargers and Pats.

Then again, Rivers and Brady are statues in the pocket, so Denver could zero in on 1 potential runner. It'll be interesting to see how the Donks will account for Wilson's scrambling ability.

Unless I'm mistaken, they were top five in yards and points scored (NE). Mostly without Gronk. Nothing Seattle does on offense particularly scares me, and I think you're choosing to underestimate Denver's defense.

Don't forget that Seattle performs poorly away from Seattle.

I overstated how bad NE's offense was, but if I ever wind up back on an actual computer, I'll pull some of the stats with vs. without Gronkowski.

Seattle's offense runs the ball some, and more importantly, can do so with the read-option (a look that Denver has seen very little of). They only need to make a few plays here and there in the passing game, and they're getting Harvin back (plus, Denver's pass D isn't all that). Their special teams will give them a serious FP advantage, at which point, they just need to be decent against what is really not that good of a Denver defense.

Seattle's offense runs the ball some, and more importantly, can do so with the read-option (a look that Denver has seen very little of). They only need to make a few plays here and there in the passing game, and they're getting Harvin back (plus, Denver's pass D isn't all that). Their special teams will give them a serious FP advantage, at which point, they just need to be decent against what is really not that good of a Denver defense.

That's more or less how I see it shaking out. Seems to me that Seattle can play conservative and still win. I don't think you can say the same for Denver.

Bluray you're right but what Denver has shown in the playoffs is an impressive ability to stop the run against teams who've smacked down fools with their running games. Pot Roast has become Denver's version of Vince Wilfork. I don't think Seattle's guards will be able to handle him.

So if Seattle wants to win this game it's up to Russell Wilson to win it. He can but will he?

Archived