Ragnarok: this theory puts all other theories to shame

Daendrew

I always saw Theon as being the Loki like character. Betrays his sort-of-brother, kills Balder (Bran) through trickery, ends up being imprisoned and tortured. But Loki is associated with air and fire as well as just being a trickster and I can't see Theon leading an army of the dead any time soon. Maybe there is another sort-of-brother who maybe has a fire connection, slim build and could end up leading an army of the dead (I can think of at least 2).

Well Robert has some Thor elements, specifically Mjolnir the hammer, which has the capacity to break false identities. Rubies are famously a sign of trickery in the books, and Robert as Thor smashes Rhaegar. We'll learn about the falseness of his rubies in the next books.

LF is not Loki. Several characters play that part.

You take Bloodraven too lightly, he's the key to everything.

Take Bloodraven lightly? Woden is the OE form of Odin/Wotan. Chief of the Aesir is lightly?

LF plays Loki better than most. Constantly stirring up trouble, directs the deaths of Jon Arryn and Ned Stark as Loki directed Baldur's death. He's a central character in the books and is totally ignored in the blog post.

Rubies and trickery? Mel uses them in her magic, not what I call trickery. Beyond that there isn't much. People seem to spin theories out of moonbeams when it comes to themes.

Despite the several obvious flaw in this theory and the fact that Martin wouldn't copy the mythology to such depths as the writer seems to imply this is definitely the most interesting and well put together theory I've ever read so give the guy a break he's given it a bloody good effort. And ad a huge fan of jaime I was loving the potentially huge role he still has to play in the series

I thought Jaime being Tyr, the one-handed god of war, and Bran being Fenrir was really cool. Also the author's prediction that Cercei will lose control of her Frankenstein, a la Gregor being Garmr or whoever.

Jaime being the Tyr figure does kind a fit if you want to do some reaching. If Bran is the Fenris (which im not sure about), it would fit because Jaime used that hand to push him. Jaime's loss of his hand doesnt quite mirror Tyr's though. Tyr lost his hand in a bout of great courage in order to bargain with Fenris during his binding with Gleipnir. I suppose you can count Jaime's growing humility as courage but its a stretch.

As for your second point, i dont see Cersei as the Hel figure. (thats Melisandre in my opinion, with Stannis as her Garm) Cersei is like all the negative about Freyja and a bit of Siglinde for good measure. /shrug

LF plays Loki better than most. Constantly stirring up trouble, directs the deaths of Jon Arryn and Ned Stark as Loki directed Baldur's death. He's a central character in the books and is totally ignored in the blog post.

Im biased because Loki is my favorite of the gods, and i hate Littlefinger. So i like to give Varys the Loki cred. Varys is truly low born and not what he seems. Plus the shapeshifting element and being able to see so much. Varys had his own hand in Ned's death though. Like i said upthread though, a few different characters embody the Loki archetype. Littlefinger among them.

As I have posted many times before with little reaction there is no doubt that the story is heavily influences by the Ragnarok story.

Westeros is the realm of the gods and each House represents one of the seven Nordic major gods but ALSO their equivalent Roman Gods. Westeros is the ordered world imposed on germanic tribes by the Roman. The Nordic Gods that are not part of the Romanised 7 are to be found in the Starks and Targs along with CELTIC gods

As predicted by the Ragnarok story most of the Houses (aka Gods will die).

1. We have Baratheons the Storm Lords who equates with Thor or the Roman Jupiter. We have the war hammer of Robert like Thor, Robert in personallity (wine and women is like Thor).the cross dressing Renly and some justice Stannis. Jost like Thor in Ragnarok Houise Baratheon is doomed at least in thedirect male line. However two sons of Thor will survive for the new world (Gendry and Edrik)

2. We have Lannisters who equate with the Norse God Tyr or Tue (Roman Mars), hence Tywin, Tyrion. Tyr was warlike (Tywin) but also just (Tyrion) and Brave enough to LOSE A HAND fighting a WOLF (Jaime). I do not think House Tyr will survive. Tyr's weapon was a SWORD aka Jaime

3. House Martell represents The Sun (equating with Roman Apollo) is almost detroyed in Ragnarok but returns. Mind you there are many other characters with aspects of Apollo including Mance and Rhaegar

4. House Arryn represents the Moon or Diana. This house is almost dead already. Sansa however has many aspects of a moon godess (as does Arya)

5. The many houses in the Riverlands seem to personify Odin/Wodin and Bloodraven basically personifies Odin in every way, right down to loss of an eye, Ravens, magic etc. There is mystery and magic in the Riverlands. This is where the God's eye is

and the cursed Harrenhal. Odin like BR was associated with the underworld. bran is obviously the successor to BR. Two sons of Odin will survive. Possibly Mance is one.

6. The reach is the probably the fertile house associated with feya or frigg (Roman Venus). Thios house will survive

7. Finally we have the secret house associates with all things nasty. Associated with Saturn it is the Loki of the Norse by the Romans there are two options for this house Starks (which I do not support) and Greyjoy which fits Theon, Euron, Aeron personalities)

More later.

As I have posted many times before with little reaction there is no doubt that the story is heavily influences by the Ragnarok story. The Wars of the Roses and the Accursed Kings

Westeros is the realm of the gods and each House represents one of the seven Nordic major gods but ALSO their equivalent Roman Gods. Westeros is the ordered world imposed on germanic tribes by the Roman. The Nordic Gods that are not part of the Romanised 7 are to be found in the Starks and Targs along with CELTIC gods

As predicted by the Ragnarok story most of the Houses (aka Gods will die).

1. We have Baratheons the Storm Lords who equates with Thor or the Roman Jupiter. We have the war hammer of Robert like Thor, Robert in personallity (wine and women is like Thor).the cross dressing Renly and some justice Stannis. Jost like Thor in Ragnarok Houise Baratheon is doomed at least in thedirect male line. However two sons of Thor will survive for the new world (Gendry and Edrik)

2. We have Lannisters who equate with the Norse God Tyr or Tue (Roman Mars), hence Tywin, Tyrion. Tyr was warlike (Tywin) but also just (Tyrion) and Brave enough to LOSE A HAND fighting a WOLF (Jaime). I do not think House Tyr will survive. Tyr's weapon was a SWORD aka Jaime

3. House Martell represents The Sun (equating with Roman Apollo) is almost detroyed in Ragnarok but returns. Mind you there are many other characters with aspects of Apollo including Mance and Rhaegar

4. House Arryn represents the Moon or Diana. This house is almost dead already. Sansa however has many aspects of a moon godess (as does Arya)

5. The many houses in the Riverlands seem to personify Odin/Wodin and Bloodraven basically personifies Odin in every way, right down to loss of an eye, Ravens, magic etc. There is mystery and magic in the Riverlands. This is where the God's eye is

and the cursed Harrenhal. Odin like BR was associated with the underworld. bran is obviously the successor to BR. Two sons of Odin will survive. Possibly Mance is one.

6. The reach is the probably the fertile house associated with feya or frigg (Roman Venus). Thios house will survive

7. Finally we have the secret house associates with all things nasty. Associated with Saturn it is the Loki of the Norse by the Romans there are two options for this house Starks (which I do not support) and Greyjoy which fits Theon, Euron, Aeron personalities)

More later. Medieval England

As does everything, from The Godfather to Lord of the Rings to Star Wars. It's why I mostly find this blog to be very mediocre in terms of theories.

Bolded, :lol: Dude...you do know that LotR is basically heavily borrowing from Norse Mythology in the most unabashed manner possible...right? Right down to the names of the dwarves who hang out with Bilbo in the Hobbit. And...Mirkwood...And...Just about...everything?

Bolded, :lol: Dude...you do know that LotR is basically heavily borrowing from Norse Mythology in the most unabashed manner possible...right? Right down to the names of the dwarves who hang out with Bilbo in the Hobbit. And...Mirkwood...And...Just about...everything?

Norse mythology? Tolkien never heard of it.

No one is disputing that medieval history is also a huge influence, especially the WoR and Scottish history. However the medieval part is about the landscape and particular events and characters. The big picture is still Norse and Celtic mythology.

Now you DO realise I assume that:

Hodr was a Norse god

B(W)alder was a Norse god

Nanna was a Norse God

Bran was a Celtic God

Dana was a Celtic God

Jamie is going through a Darth Vader- Luke Skywalker lost hand motif where he died to his old self and was reborn to a life, giving his Valerian steel Oathkeeper to Brienne and will soon find out who his true father is. He dies to his old life and is reborn psychologically, and a heart in conflict with itself is the only thing worth writing about GRRm echos Falkner constantly. A KG is a glorified swordhand, what is a swordhand without a hand? Nothing. From something, to nothing, to recreation the new idenity. Subtle, but there. Kudos to GRRM for making such a fertile canvas that so much can be added, projected and interpreted.

His ultimate oath was to protect a great many and circumvent the local for the universal good, the only person who throws off Mideival mores for ultimate good in the story, and in doing so sacrificing his honor to the society. He saved more people than anyone else, saving over 500,000 Kingslanders from certain death at the hand of Aerys. No one else in the story can say that. And he does not tell the world this truth.

Why should he not be the tragic hero?

The throwing Bran off the tower thing throws us off that trail in our first impression of him. Could be GRRMs touch to get us off the trail. Good people do bad things, bad people do good things. No black and white.

Fenrir, who is Bran in according to this theory is a "bound monsterous wolf". His being bound/crippled may be integral to his future and his loss of legs is predestined. He will never walk again, but he will fly the prophesy says, Everything has a price in this world. The greater the gift, the greater the price.

LOSE A HAND fighting a WOLF

wrong Tyr, gave his hand freely. The gods wanted to imprison the wolf so they convinced it to let them tie him up. He only agreed if one of them would put their hand in his mouth. When they didn't let him go, CHOMP!

But yeah, sems like it.

Saturn it is the Loki

No, Saturn is Kronos, the giant/titan cut to many pieces. He is closer to Ymir, the zgiant who was killed, cut up and made into the world

The sun is destroyed, but her child survives.

Mon, also dies, but his son survives.

Both are eaten by a wolf(not Fenrir)

Thor is not Jupiter, he is closer to Ares. Jupiter is King, Thor is the son of the King

No, I meant there are countless people who compare ASoIaF one-to-one with Lord of the Rings. I am well aware that LoTR is Tolkien's love letter to Norse everything.

Black rider

The Romans equated Jupiter and Thor, hence Thursday=Jeudi

Mars and Tyr hence Tuesday = Mardi

Mercury and woden hence Wednesday = mercredi (BUT the equivalence here is pretty dubious

It's a bit confused because different sections of society valued different gods more. The common people viewed Thor and Frey as the main gods, their likenesses are found most often, but Woden/Odin was more popular with the warrior and literate classes. Loki is a bad guy in the poems which came from the literate classes but there is some archaeological evidence that Loki was seen as a proper god by smiths and other craft workers. Tyr was originally the all-father but at some point this title got given to Woden and Tyr ended up as his son, probably after a cult of Woden, which involve magic and drunken dancing, became popular with the upper-classes. It is hard to work out what people really believed because most of the legends we have were written by Christians who wanted to mock the old religion and most historians ignore or don't know how to interpret the artefacts.

Archived