Bittersweet Ending?

HannibalStark

I'm pretty sure the Others are going to overrun the North, and Kingslanding with all the wars going on.

Dead bodies in the extreme all over the Riverlands and around KL, and now, thanks to Euron and Co., all over the Reach as well. We can't be totally sure how many bodies Robb created in the Westerlands, but it might have been a few thousand at least.

• 3 weeks later...

The Others were defeated or pushed back during the last Long Winter/Night. We have never gotten the whole story of the Hero

No mention of dragons in their defeat. Do the dragons die, or will Dany (and the their riders learn) to control them? I expect their will be plenty of roasted (and eaten) folks when (and if) the Dragon make it to Westeros. I believe that King's Landing will be destroyed.

I hope the Freys are good and thoroughly killed I would like it if the old man was the last to die.

If the Others or the Great Other are/is killed, will it mean the end of any magic - like dragons, the Faceless, the Children - in this world? Will it truly become the age of mere mortals? If so, then what happens to Bran destined to be the Greenseer? Will he return from the North and become Bran the Builder?

• 4 weeks later...

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." Eddard Stark [4]

quote name="Kienn" post="5422085" timestamp="1392380542"]

I bet that he could learn to fly too, him and Arya and Sansa, even baby Rickon and Jon Snow. We could all be ravens wolves and live in Maester Luwins rookery the Wolfswood.

It's like ending of Lord of the Rings.

Frodo succeds but has wounds that never heal and goes to Valinor.

Sam has family and wife but is missing his best friend.

Pippin and Merry die.

Aragorn dies, Arwen dies from grief , Lorien forest fades, Elves, dwarves dissapear from Arda, humans forgot about history of The Rings, new nations rise , men fight each other.... have you read "New shadow" ?

"And when that ship passed an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring."

And in Silmarillion:

Here ends the SILMARILLION. If it has passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin, that was of old the fate of Arda Marred; and if any change shall come and the Marring be amended, Manwë and Varda may know; but they have not revealed it, and it is not declared in the dooms of Mandos."

• 4 weeks later...

According to Old Nan, last time round that the Long Night fell, heaps of people died. And the Last Hero sacrificed themself.

I know this is old, but that's a nice catch. There are a lot of themes relating to sacrifice, we are learning that everything comes with a price. I wouldn't e surprised if the series ended with the tragic hero giving himself up for the greater good.

Perhaps Jon survives, becomes King beyond the wall. Bran the Bloodraven type advisor. Dany and dragons die. Sansastark and Sandor rulers of Winterfell. Little girl Stark a faceless man. TYRION sits the Iron Throne. Rational peace abides.

It's A Dream of Spring, so I expect the story to end long before winter does. That would be a bittersweet ending; a few are still alive, but might not see summer in their lifetimes...

agreed.

also, this series has been building up to winter for five books and we only got there in the epilogue of book 5, i seriously doubt we will see the end of it in the span of two books. that would be quite anticlimactic for me

Archived