I feel like AFfC is the least read book in the series and yet...

Mithras

the most important book after ADwD. I understand how most of the people are bored with POVs like Brienne, Cersei, Arianne etc. But the thing is, the overwhelmingly ignorant POVs of AFfC hide so many things still not uncovered clearly. There is also the point that you should read AFfC in tandem with ADwD because they were supposed to be a massive single book originally.

Any thoughts?

Both Feast and Dance is much about hiding the plot in the background, while we follow a PoV totally oblivious to what happens around him/ her. It's frustrating on the first read, but gives the books more re-read quality than the first three books (though they also definitely deserves re-reads).

Both Feast and Dance is much about hiding the plot in the background, while we follow a PoV totally oblivious to what happens around him/ her. It's frustrating on the first read, but gives the books more re-read quality than the first three books (though they also definitely deserves re-reads).

:agree:

There is a suggested sequence of reading here. They merged AFfC and ADwD into a single book and ordered the POVs in a more or less chronologically. I didnot have such a rereading yet.

the most important book after ADwD. I understand how most of the people are bored with POVs like Brienne, Cersei, Arianne etc. But the thing is, the overwhelmingly ignorant POVs of AFfC hide so many things still not uncovered clearly. There is also the point that you should read AFfC in tandem with ADwD because they were supposed to be a massive single book originally.

Any thoughts?

I'm curious as to why you think AFFC and ADWD are the two most important books in the series? I see how these books introduce and reveal new important plot lines, I think the events of ASOS mark it as the most important book. ASOS essentially marks the end of the first half of the story and plot line, which allows for a new story to 'begin'.

I always thought that the first book was the most important as that is where most of R+L=J clues are found.

I am curious as to why you think RLJ is so important, especially the most important thing in the entire series, as you suggest?

:agree:

There is a suggested sequence of reading here. They merged AFfC and ADwD into a single book and ordered the POVs in a more or less chronologically. I didnot have such a rereading yet.

I am in the middle of using this to re-read them together. This suggested reading order is very well put together and helps the overall story to really flow well. These books have so much going on in both of them and add so much more to the story. I'll probably have to do this re-read a couple more times to fully grasp all of it.

Yh , Feast and Dance doesn't have as much ,, action '' as first three novels , but i still liked Dance , even more than GOT , well except Essos chapters , but it was all the North stuff that delivered for me ( especially Theon's chapters , which were one of the bests in the series.) Though i was kinda bored by Feast first , i have enjoyed it a lot on re-read and noticed many new interesting things. However , i think SoS is the most important book atm.

It's all 1 giant book to me, all of equal importance. Ranking them makes no sense to me no matter how many times or in how many different ways people try to do it.

Yeah its one book to me as well.

All though I do believe GRRM has developed as a writer in between books. Something like a painter develops as a painter over time

I did not appreciate Feast the first time I read it and thought it was much weaker than the first three books.

I've now re-read it (and the others) 3 times, and it gets better and more relevant to me with each passing. Doesn't hurt at all that for the most part it is beautifully written.

I didnt think feast was so bad, its biggest problem is that its missing most of my favorite characters. Some of the chapters drag but on balance I liked it better than CoK which I think is the weakest of the five books so far. Especially on re-reads, there are a lot of mysteries introduced there, and many amazing moments that one can miss if you're not paying attention.

AFFC gets better with each read imo.. I wasn't a huge fan on the first read, but the second time around I thought it was much better. I read Dunc and Egg in between so I think those stories filled in a lot of holes and allowed me to notice more subtleties.

Archived