The show`s treatment of Rhaegar. (Book Spoilers)

Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

• 4 weeks later...

If the major theory is correct, they must build up both characters or many non book readers won't give a damn. I know a lot of those non book readers who are clueless to who Rhaegar is, and everytime he is mentioned think they're talking about Viserys. And Lyanna? Forget it. They don't have the slightest clue who she is.

I don't blame them either. When they made the tactical decision to eliminate flashbacks, and as a result some of the prophecies, dreams, visions that come with that in the story, they made it almost impossible to be able to tell the story of these characters. How would you go about doing it, especially after season 1 with no more Robert or Ned? It's not easy to just work into a conversation between characters a story about the dead Stark girl, who in the TV universe has been dead for almost 20 years. That's not believable to have, say Cersei sitting around, and some random person go, "so, about that Lyanna Stark..."

Rhaegar is a bit easier because of Barristan. But they're not doing a good job with that either. Perfect chance was in episode 10, when they're sitting around waiting and Dany wants to know how long it takes to sack a city. Instead they decided to have him drink and just stand there, silent like an oaf.

I know a lot of those non book readers who are clueless to who Rhaegar is, and everytime he is mentioned think they're talking about Viserys. And Lyanna? Forget it. They don't have the slightest clue who she is.

My thoughts exactly. That's why a 3 parts movie about RR will be helpful for the non book readers, not to mention awesome. The third part can be released after identifying Jon's true parentage.

I have had the same responses from unsullied about Rhaegar. I was even caught in a conversation with one while watching some episodes where, while describing certain things/people, I even told her that Jon was Rhaegar's son. It had no effect on her because she couldn't conceive of who Rhaegar was, and I explained the whole smiling knight story with spoilers involved and it still meant nothing to her. When season 3 was airing and Jorah gave the famous "Rhaegar fought..." speech she once again asked who he was talking about.

I really do hope that Oberyn gets to explain something. And I would love a quick flashback scene from Bran in 3rd eye mode. I have gotten more shock and awe from making the statement "Jon is not Ned Stark's bastard" than from saying "Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son" (don't worry, I've only said this to people who have begged me to tell them something important and unknown.... its not like I go spoiling it for everyone.)

Since the books and the show are heading in the same direction, Rhaegar should be as important on the show as he is in the books, unless they plan to skip the SOIAF prophecy entirely and just focus on the fight for the IT. Rhaegar should become memorable enough before Aegon is revealed, because if he isn`t, viewers will ask: "Aegon, son of who?!"

I kind of doubt that. Everyone knows what the name Aegon means. Most Unsullied would probably just assume he's a Targaryen without really knowing how.

From experience, the TV series fans just want to see Dany roasting the Lannisters with her dragons. That's what most care about. They don't give a flying f about who is Rhaegar and the true underlying story. Hell, the 4th trailer just came out and still all they do is refer to Oberyn and say " who the f is this ".

From experience, the TV series fans just want to see Dany roasting the Lannisters with her dragons. That's what most care about. They don't give a flying f about who is Rhaegar and the true underlying story. Hell, the 4th trailer just came out and still all they do is refer to Oberyn and say " who the f is this ".

So a new person appears in a trailer and people who haven't read the books don't know who he is? Fucking outrageous.

There are also plenty of Unsullied who are as interested in the show as we are in the books and there are annoying fans of absolutely everything.

They will know and say his name by the end of his first episode, I assure you.

So a new person appears in a trailer and people who haven't read the books don't know who he is? Fucking outrageous.

There are also plenty of Unsullied who are as interested in the show as we are in the books and there are annoying fans of absolutely everything.

Iam not bashing them for not knowing who he is, iam just saying they (at least the people around me) dont seem welcoming to new characters. They arent giving the series as a whole the credit it deserves, they just care about the superficial aspects. And hence all these mentioning of Rhaegar went in one ear and out the other,

I don't blame them either. When they made the tactical decision to eliminate flashbacks, and as a result some of the prophecies, dreams, visions that come with that in the story, they made it almost impossible to be able to tell the story of these characters.

I do actually blame them for that. They made that decision, it didn't have to be so hard and fast. I thought they pulled off the dream with Bran, where he sees Catelyn, and Jon and Robb, beautifully, it was wonderful to see. Why can't we see dreams? Dreams are a great way to show people remembering and missing each other, what's on their mind, etc. And flashbacks can be used very conservatively but at key moments, too, if they seem dreamlike, all the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Its interesting that in Two Swords, we get a whole new perspective on Rhaegar; he's been either described as the doomed saintly, noble, knight by some or as the evil Targaryen kidnapper by Robert, but then we get Oberyn seeing "beautiful, noble" Rhaegar as the jerk who abandoned his wife and children for another woman starting a war in the process. Thus a set-up for Rhaegar as neither villainous Targ or Martyr but as someone who made questionable decisions that doomed himself. I like. :cool4:

They've got plenty of seasons to deal with it IMO. My guess is they've decided not to waste screen time on it in these earlier seasons, given that the reveal is such a long way off. And they have mentioned Rhaegar every now and then. Look for more lingering focus in seasons 5 and 6 I think.

First response and I think you've nailed it.

GRRM telegraphed it more than he wanted to and the show is avoiding making the same mistake, which is to say there's no way that a viewer would be able to piece it together after S1 (or even at this point, really) but once they finally do (probably somewhere toward the end of the series) they can go back and revisit the bread crumbs from earlier seasons. They've got plenty of time.

And this isn't a spoiler but it's a little bitchy so I figured I'd hide it rather than be overly negative :)

Also, L+R=J is a lot more interesting that 80% of what happens in AFFC and ADWD, so if D&D decided to save it for after ASOS I think that's pretty brilliant.

Its interesting that in Two Swords, we get a whole new perspective on Rhaegar; he's been either described as the doomed saintly, noble, knight by some or as the evil Targaryen kidnapper by Robert, but then we get Oberyn seeing "beautiful, noble" Rhaegar as the jerk who abandoned his wife and children for another woman starting a war in the process. Thus a set-up for Rhaegar as neither villainous Targ or Martyr but as someone who made questionable decisions that doomed himself. I like. :cool4:

I think it`s obvious to everyone in the series that Rhaegar`s decisions doomed him, but most people choose to ignore that in favor of his positive qualities.

I liked that they gave him a mention in this episode. I imagine that with Oberyn seeking revenge, we'll hear a lot more about him this season, with different perspectives of him. It wouldn't surprise me if they juxtaposed a scene where we get Barristan telling Daenerys of his great deeds, followed by Oberyn criticising him.

It's quite interesting, because with the show completely emitting Rhaegar, one gets the impression that he isn't any more important than Arthur Dayne or any other random dead-to-start-with character. But now they are brining it up. Why? Are they brining it up, because they want to connect the Martells to the story more than random house invited to the royal wedding? Or they are bringing it up, because it's time to teach viewers who is Rhaegar as it will have some future significance? Who knows?

The show didn't make an effort to keep Rhaegar in people's mind, and it wouldn't have required too much effort, to be honest. Daenerys could have named the dragons, plus one line stressing that Rhaegar is her brother, the last dragon, killed by Robert on the Trident. When Cersei threw a tantrum about Myrcella going to Dorne, plus one line stressing that why the Martells hated the Lannisters. When Lord Beric and Thoros accused the Hound and brought up the Targaryen children, plus one line to tell who those Targaryen childern were, since I doubt anybody who didn't read the books had an idea what they were talking about.

And I think everybody would have agreed to allocate some screen time to flashbacks/dreams from random whores fucking each other in front of Littlefinger. There would have been time and place for them (Eddard in the black cell, Daenerys after birth, Barristan joining Daenerys, feverish Jaime in the pool... )

I actually quite like the way Benioff and Weiss are handling it.

They're moving along and getting closer to the ultimate. Two Swords episode provides a good real clue about him to the TV audience. Now they know he was married...and left her for another woman. There have been others too, such as Bran in the crypts in season 1. But I like it. I suspect we'll hear a little bits and pieces such as this about Lyanna too at some point.

It's not as easy as it is in the books. You can't show someone thinking in their mind, internally about it on a TV show, and it's unrealistic for it to just suddenly come up. You know, like, oh Cersei...so tell me about this Lyanna lady.

So I think it's fine the way they've done it thus far. Especially if the major theory is correct, given it was the one and only question Martin asked them in order to allow them to do the show. They won't mess it up.

I agree. Rhaegar is a grey character if there ever was one and showing that even his own family recognizes this was a good way to introduce him to viewers.

I actually quite like the way Benioff and Weiss are handling it.

They're moving along and getting closer to the ultimate. Two Swords episode provides a good real clue about him to the TV audience. Now they know he was married...and left her for another woman. There have been others too, such as Bran in the crypts in season 1. But I like it. I suspect we'll hear a little bits and pieces such as this about Lyanna too at some point.

It's not as easy as it is in the books. You can't show someone thinking in their mind, internally about it on a TV show, and it's unrealistic for it to just suddenly come up. You know, like, oh Cersei...so tell me about this Lyanna lady.

So I think it's fine the way they've done it thus far. Especially if the major theory is correct, given it was the one and only question Martin asked them in order to allow them to do the show. They won't mess it up.

:agree:

And I think that if we're getting mentions of Rhaegar now, its because D&D are ready to start laying the groundwork for the Big Reveal..they just didn't want to drag that question out over too many seasons since viewers would have gotten tired of it fast, but now they might be setting up R+L=J for the end of Season 5 or at least the beginning of Season 6, so they're going to be dropping little bits of exposition here and there like bread crumbs to guide the way. Remember they specifically mentioned Howland Reed serving with Ned last season-that was no casual throwaway line, I'm sure.

Also learning more about RR through Bran's visions, would be a good way to make use of him in Season 5.

Archived