Jorah a traitor to the North

Wmarshal

I like to read about Jorah, and I like him as a character, but I would not like him in real life. Although I feel sympathy for him, and think that he's brave, badass and intelligent, he's a fool for love and has a rather cantankerous personality. He's very fascinating though, and therefore I don't wish for him to die just yet.

Jorahs only hope for redemption is taking the black and I believe he will eventually learn that was his fathers last wish .love is definitely his downfall.wonder if he will run into his Hightower wife.i also like reading about jorah I never really felt any hate for him as a character..I also wonder how the show will portray his betrayal and his journey back to meereen with penny and company.

I like to read about Jorah, and I like him as a character, but I would not like him in real life. Although I feel sympathy for him, and think that he's brave, badass and intelligent, he's a fool for love and has a rather cantankerous personality. He's very fascinating though, and therefore I don't wish for him to die just yet.

Same here. I can't help but root for him in the sense that I want him to pull himself together and put his numerous skills to work and not muck things up again but I'm not counting on it. He has "Greek tragedy" written all over him.

I don't mislike him because he sold some poachers as slaves. It doesn't make him equal to other slavers who go around capturing innocent people. He would have been totally within his rights to hang them. Instead, he made a stupid mistake, broke the law and sold them, which isn't allowed in Westeros. Yes, it's bad to do something like that, but we've seen plenty worse.

I also don't mislike him because he fled justice. Do people really fault him for not letting Eddard take his head off voluntarily? I'd do the same thing.

Others say, he could have redeemed himself by taking the black. Why? Just because that's a way to wash out his crimes by the standards of Westerosi law, that doesn't make them less bad. By spying on Daenerys he could have done the same thing, he would have been able to come back cleared of all charges. legally speaking.

No, I mislike him because he's a hypocrite. He always sees the worst in other men and judges them by their faults, but paints himself with a white vest. The way he looks down at others, while not having any reason to think he's in a higher position to do so. If he would embrace what he is and became a good deal less arrogant, I'd like him much more.

His mistrust of other people is correct in principal, but he has the wrong reasons. He'd like to win over Daenerys, and when he realizes that she doesn't desire him, he tries to paint all other suitors in a bad light to make him seem better by comparison. That's weak. Sure, this is how Daenerys judged his behavior and she might be mistaken, but I think she's dead on on this one for a change.

He is emotionally weak in the books. He 'wins' a beautiful wife with his physical prowess, but when she hates his home and way of life, he cannot do the right thing. He should have faced up to her and said 'this is the way we live on bear island--take it or leave it!' If she leaves him then too bad. Instead he was weak and caved to her desires.

Then in exile, he stoops to spying on a 14 year old girl, knowing that his info could (and probably would) lead to an assassination attempt! I remember thinking when he was pleading with Dany just before she exiled him: suck it up man! you got caught. He's lucky she didn't have him executed right then.

I don't mislike him because he sold some poachers as slaves. It doesn't make him equal to other slavers who go around capturing innocent people. He would have been totally within his rights to hang them. Instead, he made a stupid mistake, broke the law and sold them, which isn't allowed in Westeros. Yes, it's bad to do something like that, but we've seen plenty worse.

It seems that selling the poachers is really just stealing from the Night's Watch, because that's where those poachers would have gone if he hadn't sold them.

I also don't mislike him because he fled justice. Do people really fault him for not letting Eddard take his head off voluntarily? I'd do the same thing.

Others say, he could have redeemed himself by taking the black. Why? Just because that's a way to wash out his crimes by the standards of Westerosi law, that doesn't make them less bad. By spying on Daenerys he could have done the same thing, he would have been able to come back cleared of all charges. legally speaking.

No, I mislike him because he's a hypocrite. He always sees the worst in other men and judges them by their faults, but paints himself with a white vest. The way he looks down at others, while not having any reason to think he's in a higher position to do so. If he would embrace what he is and became a good deal less arrogant, I'd like him much more.

His mistrust of other people is correct in principal, but he has the wrong reasons. He'd like to win over Daenerys, and when he realizes that she doesn't desire him, he tries to paint all other suitors in a bad light to make him seem better by comparison. That's weak. Sure, this is how Daenerys judged his behavior and she might be mistaken, but I think she's dead on on this one for a change.

Those poachers killed some bear so they deserve to be sent to Slaver's Bay ?

Those poachers killed some bear so they deserve to be sent to Slaver's Bay ?

Read the paragraph again, I said it was a bad thing to do.

They don't deserve to be sold as slaves. They don't deserve to be hanged for this, either, even though Jorah would have been within his rights to do so. Same as thieves don't deserve to get their fingers cut off, or people who talk "treason" don't deserve to get their tongues torn out, or people who desert the Night's Watch don't deserve to get their heads chopped off.

People pretend selling those poachers to the Tyroshi was one of the most horrible things to do. But by modern standards, Westeros is a horrible society with horrible laws. Jorah isn't worse than the rest of them, just because slavery happens to be forbidden in Westeros, while mutilation and death penalty are not.

I dislike this phony more than Joffrey or the Bastard of Bolton for that matter, a terrible person all around.

That's really intense and misguided in my opinion. The man has caused a fraction of the suffering of these two respectively, and the ramifications of pretty much all of his decisions are no where near as detrimental to others as Joffs or Ramsay's.

Even the story of how he went from being an established lord to a self-pitying man is more relatable than any justification for the two bastard's cruelty.

That's really intense and misguided in my opinion. The man has caused a fraction of the suffering of these two respectively, and the ramifications of pretty much all of his decisions are no where near as detrimental to others as Joffs or Ramsay's.

Even the story of how he went from being an established lord to a self-pitying man is more relatable than any justification for the two bastard's cruelty.

Wrong all over. See Jorah is selfish, he put his own desires and needs ahead of his family's honor and fled like the coward he is when Ned was coming to get him. Now he is disregarding Dany's needs as a ruler in order for him to get in her pants. Whose to say he'll just fling the poor girl aside when and if he succeeds in his advances. Ramsay and Joffrey's actions are justifiable because their actions are for the good of their respective houses. The actions of Ramsay and Joffrey may be cruel yes, but they have helped put their families/houses at an advantageous position. I win...

Wrong all over. See Jorah is selfish, he put his own desires and needs ahead of his family's honor and fled like the coward he is when Ned was coming to get him. Now he is disregarding Dany's needs as a ruler in order for him to get in her pants. Whose to say he'll just fling the poor girl aside when and if he succeeds in his advances. Ramsay and Joffrey's actions are justifiable because their actions are for the good of their respective houses. The actions of Ramsay and Joffrey may be cruel yes, but they have helped put their families/houses at an advantageous position. I win...

I dont think Ramsay hunting and flaying girls for "sport" is doing much at all to better their house. In fact, it nearly cost him dearly, for if Robb had won his war, Ramsay would have been tried for his crimes in the North. Even if the sack of Winterfell never occurred.

In fact, everything Ramsay and Roose have done is in the long term detrimental to their position.

My opinion of him is very negative as he has betrayed everyone who ever really matters to him. Worse, he wont even acknowledge that he was in the wrong to Dany, he maintains his high and.mighty attitude. He has to.do something seriously major to.redeem himself to me.

(I also find him creepy. As in old man with a child bride creepy. But thats unrelated to.his character and.not.uncommon in Westeros)

Actually you lose. Both the actions of Ramsay and Joffrey did nothing but weaken their families positions. The North despises the Boltons, and I wouldn't wager they could hold the North for very long regardless of the outcome of their duel with Stannis. Ramsay has done nothing but hurt his house with his amusements, and could never rule over it. Joffrey was a petulant, coward of King who's own bastardy has helped lead to the undoing of his house. He was a brazen prick of a king that could never have held the throne. He started the war when he called for Ned Stark's head-- totally his own choice.

Jorah's initial flaws, however shallow and ill-conceived, were done out of love. He went into debt trying to please his lovely wife, then when he fled he had to give her up, to a man who basically told him it was keep her and become my slave (in which case he loses her), or leave. However weak you may find this arguement to be, I don't see how anyone could take an objective look at the evidence and say Jorah is worse in almost any way than Ramsay and Joffrey. Joffrey betrayed the realm when he beheaded Ned Stark for his own amusement, which has resulted in countless suffering for thousands. Ramsay is a sadistic coward who betrayed Theon and the Starks at winterfell, so he's not honorable either.

:owned: :owned: :owned:

Archived