GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

The thing is, if I do get to do that Q&A, will TG answer my question or just call me stupid to my face!?!

No, of course he wouldn't. He would do what Richard would do. :D

Goodluck with the interview, hope Goodkind answers all of them, and not give you grief (as some congressmen my friend and I have interviewed have done. bastards.)

Some questions I could think up off the bat:

How did he get involved with/started in Ayn Rand's works and how does it reflect in his novel and his everyday life.

Is his hairstyle really called a yeard?

How involved is he with his fans? Do they have mini-cons?

Does he watch or have watched hentai movies?

Some serious questions:

1. Mr Goodkind, your Sword of Truth series has far out-paced any conventional fantasy series with your meticulous construction of stories that are morally relevant to today's world that it now stands alone in the field as something that transcended genres. Are you worried that this distance between your series and the rest of the fantasy books will lessen your influence, and let's be honest, your rescuing of a deeply troubled genre? To what extent do you think it's your duty to effect changes in the fantasy genre and how do you manage to do it while not succumbing to their level of quality?

2. Can you expound on your choice to utilize simple sentence structures and common vocabulary in your work to enhance the central theme of humanity and life in your work?

3. Your admiration for the nobility of human moral righteousness shines through in your work in most spectacular fashions, like when Richard slaughered the peace protesters or when Khalan ordered the torture of the enemy. Was it difficult to come up with new ways to demonstrate this important theme?

4. What do you think a real person would have to do if he or she wants to put the lessons you taught in the books into practice in real life? Obviously, real life does not provide us with a Seeker or a Mother Confessioner or even wizards, so in what context do you see your work match up with real life and how can people actualize the moral clarity you depicted? Do you think our current corrupt society will allow it, even, or would anyone who attempts to live this moral clarity simply be locked away as a sociopath?

5. Do you think our society is going to realize the downward moral spiral we're on and reverse course? What role do you think your work would play in this process?

Some not serious questions:

1. You're a sick and twisted man with a demented sense of right and wrong. How do you sleep at night?

2. Do you always ejaculate from excitement when you write about how masculine and handsome Richard is?

3. When will you stop writing and start your cult? Have you located a suitablly remote compound yet? Will MyStar be your High Priest?

4. If the readers of fantasy can pull together a trust fund that matches your salary from writing the books, will you agree to stop churning out trash masquerading as books? Or would that option be untenable owing to your need to continue to pump your own ego?

5. Instead of becoming a published author, what is the profession that you should have gone into so as to minimize your negative impact on the genre of speculative fictions and, to a larger extent, the entire society?

Proof?

Suffice to say it appears that, if I am reading this correctly, Mystar is correct. Faith of the Fallen debuted on the NYT bestseller list at #2 on September 3, 2000. It promptly fell to #5 the following week and stayed at #5 for a third week on the list...in it's fourth week it fell to 11 and out of the top ten...

So we've been busted on that one I guess.

Just one little question I'd ask Terry Goodkind:

- How do you reconcile your assertion that freedom and life are the most important things an individual can have with the fact that your heroes, Richard and Kahlan not only deny those values to anyone not submitting to them, but revel in the killing and torture it implies? (see ref: QOTD: torture, demonstrators armed only with hatred, richard killing justification...)

From the Wikipedia site this is the quote that always makes me laugh.

Yes this ia a true fact. Goodkind did Train as a Formula One Driver. If anyon efeels the need to add this to the page I can provide proofs from Goodkind himself. Mystar 02:35, 11 June 2006 (UTC)

I would dearly love to see the "proof" for this. I don't believe for a microsecond that Goodkind has "trained as a Formula One Driver". He certainly has never raced for a team, nor tested for one to my knowledge. He may have brought an old car from somewhere and driven it on a test track but that would hardly be classed as training as an F1 driver.

I just found this over at tg.net.. Isn't it precious :D

http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2015 .. Ah, delicious irony

Isn't it kinda sad though, that we're getting so obsessed with TG we discuss him when meeting other authors within the genre?

That is brilliant! The irony's almost too much. Mystar insults us for bashing his favourite author, then what does he do? He insults GRRM a lot, and to go one further than us, he doesn't even bother reading the books. I wonder how Mystar acquired this skill of being able to judge the prose of a book without reading it. He also has some very strange ideas about arrogance.

That is brilliant! The irony's almost too much. Mystar insults us for bashing his favourite author, then what does he do? He insults GRRM a lot, and to go one further than us, he doesn't even bother reading the books. I wonder how Mystar acquired this skill of being able to judge the prose of a book without reading it. He also has some very strange ideas about arrogance.
He obviously did it to mock this very thread and all the "haters" posting in it. Most here also slam Goodkind (blessed be his name) without having read anything but the quotes of the day, and some interviews.

I don't know what he's out to prove except that he's capable of doing exactly what he hates, but whatever, I say, even if he was more insulting, they are just opinions, and there's no solid ground for discussion.

Let's concentrate on the chicken that is not a chicken, shall we? :P

I wonder how Mystar acquired this skill of being able to judge the prose of a book without reading it. He also has some very strange ideas about arrogance.

The power of the Yeard combined with the rising thing, imho.

As to the interview, I was always wondering whether Terry has been smoking something...

Hang on.... Did he just pull some quotes from George's blog and pretend that he's had an email conversation with him, or am I imagining things? :o

No.

He first says he's had a couple of email conversations with GRRM, which is true to the best of my knowledge.

He then presents a couple of quotes which are from GRRM's 'Not a Blog', but doesn't attribute the source.

So, a casual reader might make the implication that the quotes are from the former source (private email), since no other source is referred to.

I couldn't possibly comment on whether this is deliberate, but clearly mystar has left himself enough wiggle room for plausible deniability if challenged. ;)

Also kinda telling that most of the subsequent posts are from GK fans saying "An author? With left-wing politics? Does... not... compute..." - I suppose that shouldn't surprise me given the well-known views of The Yearded One Himself (BBHN), but I always subconsciously thought that fantasy/sf readers were normally more counter-culture and liberal...

Archived