How would you dealt with the grejoys?

Wmarshal

You know, some of the women might want to be salt wives.

Yes, I'm sure tons of women are just dying to have sex with the men who invaded their village, stole their stuff, and killed their friends, brothers, husbands, and fathers. Not to mention the whole slavery thing.

That's a big fetish I hear.

Yes, I'm sure tons of women are just dying to have sex with the men who invaded their village, stole their stuff, and killed their friends, brothers, husbands, and fathers. Not to mention the whole slavery thing.

That's a big fetish I hear.

Falia Flowers seems to be okay with it and the Captains daughter was begging Theon to make her his salt wife.

Falia Flowers seems to be okay with it and the Captains daughter was begging Theon to make her his salt wife.

Falla Flowers is one of the worst people we meet in the entire series and the captain's daughter wouldn't have been made a salt wife in the traditional way. I doubt she would have had the same enthusiasm if Theon had first murdered her father and all his crew.

Falla Flowers is one of the worst people we meet in the entire series and the captain's daughter wouldn't have been made a salt wife in the traditional way. I doubt she would have had the same enthusiasm if Theon had first murdered her father and all his crew.

No she isn't. Falia proves that some women are okay with being salt wives and Theon told the Captains daughter how it's done.

It's hard to tell just what Robert was thinking at the end of Balon's rebellion, or just what he knew of the Ironmen. Suppose he didn't want to wipe them out, but didn't think he could control them without Balon. And he could control Balon by keeping Theon hostage. Situation solved as far as anyone at the time could see.

I might have done some looking around among the Ironmen, possibly had Aeron thrown into the sea tied to a large rock. If, however, there were enough evidence at the time to indicate the Ironmen were acting of their own nature, and likely to rise again under Balon or anyone else if given the chance, I would have been willing to annihilate them root and branch. At the current point in the story, it's all too clear that's what needs to happen.

No she isn't. Falia proves that some women are okay with being salt wives and Theon told the Captains daughter how it's done.

Considering she condemned several women(some of whom are younger than 15) to rape(a rape their father gets to watch) I would definitely say she is. And before you make the argument, no, her half sisters and their mother being mean to her doesn't make her actions ok. Falla proves some women are sociopaths who will have sex with people who are willing to do horrible things for them.

Telling someone that they'll be your slave after you have began a consensual sexual relationship with them is different from killing their family and friends, forcibly having sex with them, and then taking them as a slave.

Considering she condemned several women(some of whom are younger than 15) to rape(a rape their father gets to watch) I would definitely say she is. And before you make the argument, no, her half sisters and their mother being mean to her doesn't make her actions ok. Falla proves some women are sociopaths who will have sex with people who are willing to do horrible things for them.

Telling someone that they'll be your slave after you have began a consensual sexual relationship with them is different from killing their family and friends, forcibly having sex with them, and then taking them as a slave.

This is ASOIAF, buddy. Everyones a jerk. It's not that hard to believe.

But he told her how its done and she still wanted to be his salt wife. Simply put, some women are okay with being salt wives (concubines).

This is ASOIAF, buddy. Everyones a jerk. It's not that hard to believe.

But he told her how its done and she still wanted to be his salt wife. Simply put, some women are okay with being salt wives (concubines),

There is only one other person in the whole series who has someone raped in front of their father. Care to guess who?

And at no point was her family and friends' lives threatened. Does that not make a large difference in this equation to you?

There is only one other person in the whole series who has someone raped in front of their father. Care to guess who?

And at no point was her family and friends' lives threatened. Does that not make a large difference in this equation to you?

I'm actually drawing a blank here.

That's a false premise. Not all salt wives have their family and friends killed by the men who take them. Also, didn't Orys Baratheon and one of the Starks kill the parents of their future wives?

5 to the scores of references to the taking of salt-wives, with the implication of hundreds more.

Also; we need to make a distinction between forced marriage and arranged marriage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "5 to the scores of references to the taking of salt-wives, with the implication of hundreds more", please clarify.

As to the difference between arranged and forced marriages. out of the five examples I gave, all were forced and only (2) was not arranged, so I'm not sure where you are trying to go.

My point is that the forcing/arranging is done lawfully *within* a kingdom, as opposed to the Ironborn acting *unlawfully* against a [theoretically] equal sovereign nation.

I'm actually drawing a blank here.

That's a false premise. Not all salt wives have their family and friends killed by the men who take them. Also, didn't Orys Baratheon and one of the Starks kill the parents of their future wives?

Gregor.

No, but that's the idea isn't?

Yes they did, both of those acts were exceedingly cruel.

I'm not sure what you mean by "5 to the scores of references to the taking of salt-wives, with the implication of hundreds more", please clarify.

As to the difference between arranged and forced marriages. out of the five examples I gave, all were forced and only (2) was not arranged, so I'm not sure where you are trying to go.

My point is that the forcing/arranging is done lawfully *within* a kingdom, as opposed to the Ironborn acting *unlawfully* against a [theoretically] equal sovereign nation.

There are more examples of Ironborn rape than of forced marriage.

The point about arranged marriage vs. forced marriage was not towards you.

Elia's father was at the Red Keep?

Is it? Not all salt wives have their families and friends killed.

So main landers do it too.

No. Try again.

Yes. You don't seem to understand what the whole 'reaving' concept is about.

False Equivalency.

Deuces.

No. Try again.

Yes. You don't seem to understand what the whole 'reaving' concept is about.

False Equivalency.

Deuces.

I'm really pulling a blank here.

No. I fully understand what it means and it doesn't mean killing the families and friends of the women they take. Is it possible that they do? Sure. However, that's not always the case.

The argument from the beginning has been that the greenlanders do the same things as the Iron Born.

IB haters never cease to amaze.

Raiding ? Bad.

Ethnic cleansing ? Good!

I'll bite... Not an Ironborn hater perse, but their culture and complete lack of a standing economy outside of raiding does leave them as somewhat of an open wound on the back of the realm.

Really, the only way the poor people of the Stoney Shore are ever going to live in peace, is if every Ironborn dies.... and I don't mean just the people, I mean the entire culture would need to be erased from existence (likewise with the Dothraki in the east, honestly).

Frankly the only other idea outside of killing them all, that might work, is unleashing them on other countries, but at the same time they aren't located in a position to really effectively raid anyone outside of Westeros (not to mention they could easily provoke a larger scale war off their small scale raids, and it's -very- unlikely they'd be willing to pay tribute loot.... without rebelling)... It's frankly just easier to genocide them. I don't really get the objections to it, honestly.... in the ASoIF universe, there doesn't really seem to be major reason to -not- kill them. None of their gods/religions seem to really be against it.

I'm really pulling a blank here.

No. I fully understand what it means and it doesn't mean killing the families and friends of the women they take. Is it possible that they do? Sure. However, that's not always the case.

The argument from the beginning has been that the greenlanders do the same things as the Iron Born.

Gregor and his men raped an innkeeps daughter in front of her father, then when he was through for her he paid the man and said she wasn't worth a full silver(paraphrasing) and for the innkeep to get him change. Chiswyck or one of his men tells the story at Harrenhal.

Archived