How would you dealt with the grejoys?

Wmarshal

Behead Balon.

Aeron, Euron, and Victarion to the Wall or they lose their heads too if they refuse.

Theon goes to Winterfell as in the books.

Asha to Casterly Rock or maybe Riverrun. Marry her off to some mainland lord eventually.

Appoint Rodrik Harlaw acting lord until Theon is of age.

Take hostages from every major house on the islands and foster them all over the mainland.

Liberate all the salt-wives and then scour the whole archipelago. I honestly have no idea why House Stark, House Lannister and House Gardener didn't make common cause and wipe them out centuries ago.

If that's too labour-intensive, send the Greyjoy adults to the Wall, the kids to the mainland; install a new boss; torch the Iron Fleet and ban its reconstruction; and liberate all the salt-wives, etc.

The Iron Born of old were a powerful Empire that struck fear into the hearts of the greenlanders.

Behead Balon.

Aeron, Euron, and Victarion to the Wall or they lose their heads too if they refuse.

Theon goes to Winterfell as in the books.

Asha to Casterly Rock or maybe Riverrun. Marry her off to some mainland lord eventually.

Appoint Rodrik Harlaw acting lord until Theon is of age.

Take hostages from every major house on the islands and foster them all over the mainland.

The greenlanders would have no chance at doing these things, the Ironborn would rise up in glorious revolution.

No, its actually the other way around; does most of Westerosi culture kind of suck? Yes. Does the Ironborn culture suck a thousand times worse? Yes.

That doesn't mean the Ironborn should be allowed to keep their horrendous traditions.

Again...they're all pretty bad. The IB are just the worst of a bad lot.

Kill the the Rebellious Lords. Forbid them from rebuilding their fleet into larger numbers than the royal fleet. To do so would be considered an act of rebellion. Free all the Salt Wives. Old way practitioners will all be executed and buried in the middle of a Dornish dessert. Install the Reader as the new lord paramount. Arrange for his son to marry a mainlander, and increase agricultural trade and decrease the price so they have no excuse to raid.

Who would be the big badguys then?

Do they carry them away from their homes and force them into servitude? There is a difference between being a mistress and being a thrall.

Probably.

Bronn was seated cross-legged under a chestnut tree, near where they'd tied the horses. He was honing the edge of his sword, wide awake; the sellsword did not seem to sleep like other men. "Where did you find her?" Tyrion asked him as he pissed.

"I took her from a knight. The man was loath to give her up, but your name changed his thinking somewhat . . . that, and my dirk at his throat."

Probably.

Bronn was seated cross-legged under a chestnut tree, near where they'd tied the horses. He was honing the edge of his sword, wide awake; the sellsword did not seem to sleep like other men. "Where did you find her?" Tyrion asked him as he pissed.

"I took her from a knight. The man was loath to give her up, but your name changed his thinking somewhat . . . that, and my dirk at his throat."

Great point :cool4:

1. Fine, let's put "forced marriage" instead of Prima Nocte, then.

2. There is no "peacefully" collecting taxes. As you point out, it is little more than an elaborate protection racket. What, pray tell, will these greenlander lords do if their subjects refuse to pay ? Also, the rape subject has already been addressed, no need to bring it up again.

• Arranged marriage happens on the Islands just as it does on the mainland. And the possibility of a forced(something viewed as distasteful) arranged marriage only truly applies to <1% of the mainland Westerosi population, whereas the threat of Ironborn rape(something viewed as admirable) applies to every one in the world ideally.

• Not going to enter a debate on the morality of taxation as that is far too broad a topic. I for one would much rather be apart of a pseudo-protection racket(it isn't, but lets pretend it is) where people only come to steal my stuff, burn my land, rape my women, and potentially kill me if I don't pay; than be subject to all of that with no avenue of avoidance. Considering the term "pillage"(which you introduced) traditionally implies rape, I would say there is plenty of need to bring it up.

Probably.

And where does that suggest she wasn't allowed to leave? Let's not forget she is being paid for her services, the salt wives are getting nothing.

Archived