How would you dealt with the grejoys?

Wmarshal

LOL im not an Ironborn basher, aw well I suppose I am but I didnt mean for it to come out that way I just mean alot of the hatred for the IB in the books comes from their Reaving.

The Iron Born don't deserve to be hated for reaving. It's their Drowned God given right.

Greenlander-Ironborn translation guide:

War - Reaving

Prima Nocte - Rape

Taxation - Pillage

Serfdom - Thralldom

Everything the Ironborn are accused of, the greenlanders do just as much. The only difference is they've made it into a system and call it different names, so it doesn't sound as bad.

War - Reaving

Prima Nocte - Rape

Taxation - Pillage

Serfdom - Thralldom

Everything the Ironborn are accused of, the greenlanders do. The only difference is they've made it into a system and call it different names, so it doesn't sound as bad.

Wish more people on these forums understood this.

I'd let them have their own kingdom at the iron islands if they swore not to raid any part of westeros. They are free to raid around essos. And remind if any hostile action towards main land occur will result in genocide. Aaand change their motto ffs.

Put the entire house Greyjoy to the sword (Asha to SS, Theon to the Wall)

Raise a sensible person like Rodrik Harlaw as the ruler of the land, but have him swear an oath to Hoster Tully/Tywin Lannister so he would not be Lord Paramount and he would answer to somebody who can monitor the Islands more closely than the King

Take some hostages of the other major II houses for a time being

Burn down half of their ships/give them to Lannisport and Seagard as a recompense

Grant Mallisters an office of Sea Marshalls

Send some septons to II as missionaries (they would not be forcing anything)

Send there some maesters specilalized in the field of agriculture and have them make a plan on how to make the Islands more self-sustainable

Populate Cape Kraken and Flint Cliffs (the land looks good enough to support more people than it seemingly actually does, names Fever and Blazewater Bay suggest that it could be warm and abudant land if somebody actually settles there) and relocate some of the Ironborn who wish for a better and more peaceful life to the place; build there a strong fortress and fleet in time

Kill any practitioners of the Old Way, The Greyjoy brothers all thrown into the Dornish dessert. Put the Reader in as regent until Theon comes of age. If they rebel again, crush them even harder and unmercifully

Grant them better trading options, so they don't have to raid.

War - Reaving

Prima Nocte - Rape

Taxation - Pillage

Serfdom - Thralldom

Everything the Ironborn are accused of, the greenlanders do just as much. The only difference is they've made it into a system and call it different names, so it doesn't sound as bad.

• I'll grant you the first one.

Prima Nocta would be the equivalent of Ironborn raping, if not for the fact that we only ever hear of one definite occurrence of First Night and one other potential case. While we have hundreds of references to Ironborn rape. False equivalency.

Peacefully collecting taxes from the people whom you are sworn to protect is nothing like attacking people who have done you no harm, taking everything you can carry(including them), and raping their women.

Serfdom is somewhat like thralldom if ignore how the thralls got there.

These things might play similar roles in their respective societies, but that doesn't make them morally equivalent.

War - Reaving

Prima Nocte - Rape

Taxation - Pillage

Serfdom - Thralldom

Everything the Ironborn are accused of, the greenlanders USED TO DO, before Aegon conquered them and united Westeros.

1) War/Reaving -- before Aegon, at least a few of the Seven Kingdoms were always at war. The Iron Islands actually owned greenland (Riverlands) property. After Aegon, if any of the Seven Kingdoms fought each other, it would be called "Breaking The King's Peace" and get shut down.

2) Prima Nocte / Rape -- officially banned (Prima Nocte), and rape is currently punishable by death or getting sent to wall.

3) Taxation/Pillage -- To whatever extent you equate Taxation with Pillage, note that greenlander Kingdoms have the right to tax their own people, not those of other Kingdoms. Only the Crown can tax the Kingdoms.

4) Serfdom/Thralldom -- As with the distinction between taxation/pillage, having a feudal economy in *your own kingdom* is different from taking people from other Kingdoms.

When Aegon conquered Westeros, the previously absolute sovereign Kingdoms lost their "rights" to attack their neighbors (at least the other ones that also swore to the Targaryens). Presumably, their is no legal proscription against the Ironborn raiding Wildlings north of the Wall.

Balon and his brothers should've been either killed or sent to the Wall, and Theon fostered with one of the other Great(er) Houses, Asha, married to another great house, and new Lords from all over the mainland give the castles and lands on the islands to integrate them with a better culture.

Seeing as how one of Robert's biggest flaws was forgiving some enemies while treating others better, he should've got rid of the ones who were actually opposing him.

Everything the Ironborn are accused of, the greenlanders USED TO DO

Exactly. they've evolved. the ironbron haven't and refuse to. when you don't strive to make at least the bare minimum of progression, your culture is pretty much fucked.

Replace them with another clan. The Greyjoys have shown many times they don't really acknowledge the authority of the Iron Throne - which is perfectly fine, Robert should have respected that and find someone who would bend the knee. Send every male Greyjoy to the Wall (different castles), except for Victarion - this one to the Citadel, let him become a maester.

Replace them with another clan. The Greyjoys have shown many times they don't really acknowledge the authority of the Iron Throne - which is perfectly fine, Robert should have respected that and find someone who would bend the knee. Send every male Greyjoy to the Wall (different castles), except for Victarion - this one to the Citadel, let him become a maester.

Best. Idea. Ever.

I'd lure the bulk of the Ironborn fleet into a river at high-tide with smaller vessals, just before the tide goes out. When the tide goes out, the bottom of the Ironborn ships will be impaled and trapped by steel-tipped stake hammered into the riverbed. I'll hail arrows down upon the ships trapped and burn them to cinder. The rest of the Ironborn fleet will be flanked by my fleet; then rammed and set on fire.

The Iron Islands will be blockaded, and my army will island hopped until Pyke stands alone, at which point I will have engineers chisel at the foundations and wait for the keep to collapse under its own weight.

Move all the inhabitants of the island chain and use the iron islands as a military training installation for naval purposes.

Archived