Could Brienne of Tarth have Targaryen blood?

Zephyr Winters

Brienne and house in general. The origin of house Tarth is minimally discussed, but why hasn't anyone given thought to the features of this house? Straw-colored hair is pretty much a combination of silver and blonde hair if you care to compare the colors. GRRM actually allows us easy identifying features for the different families - Targs having silver hair and purple eyes, Lannisters having blonde hair, Starks having brown/black hair, etc.

The location of the is what convinced me further, they are located in the Stormlands, in an island that would be easil accessibly by the Dornish. We already know that in Dorne there exist the Martells, which do have Targaryen blood. It is said that when a Targaryen is born, the Gods toss up a coin, that the child will be either completely mad or great/strong/honorable. Brienne would be the latter wouldn't you agree?

GRRM also likes to play with words, in an interview he mentioned how he was surprised nobody had figured out the identify of someone whom he had just changed the letters of the name (forgot which one that was), so we know he leaves clues with more than just your traditional symbolism. Tar=Tar? It would be at least plausible that they have as much Targaryen blood as the Dayne's, I think. I am looking for quotes you may have that would prove my theory, if you will.

Could have? Rather 99% have. The Targaryens spent 300 years in Westeros, marrying noble families from all over the continent, who in turn married other noble families (and a lot of bastards).

Counting the Houses without Targ blood would be easier.

Furthermore, Tarth is a primary Lordship sworn to Storms End, And Lord Orys Baratheon had Targ blood himself. The Baratheons never sending a bride to Tarth? Very, very unlikely.

GRRM also likes to play with words, in an interview he mentioned how he was surprised nobody had figured out the identify of someone whom he had just changed the letters of the name (forgot which one that was), so we know he leaves clues with more than just your traditional symbolism. Tar=Tar? It would be at least plausible that they have as much Targaryen blood as the Dayne's, I think. I am looking for quotes you may have that would prove my theory, if you will.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with this one, seeing as I seem to recall the Dayne's don't have any (particular) Targaryen blood. Just checked the wiki page and it doesn't mention any Targ connection, in fact, their name comes up a lot when dicsussing Targ heritage as an example of how one can look like a Targ without being one.

edit: ninja'd 3 posts ago...

What about him?

Silver hair. And what about that other one who thought he could tame a dragon because he supposedly had Targaryen blood? The one that was burned and killed for not paying attention to the other dragon in the cage. Been a while since I read so I can't specify the name.

EDIT: Ok that was Quentyn I think, a Martell, but still I could use the same argument with the Martells as I did with the Daynes.

Silver hair. And what about that other one who thought he could tame a dragon because he supposedly had Targaryen blood? The one that was burned and killed for not paying attention to the other dragon in the cage. Been a while since I read so I can't specify the name.

Daynes have valyrian coloring but are a First Men house, there is no connection to Targs except similar hair and eyes due to valyrian/proto-valyrian descent.

The one that was burned was a Martell, the ruling house of Dorne, not a Dayne.

If all the clues are to be believed, she is a descendant of

Duncan the Tall

who was a commoner.

So it seems unlikely that she has Targ blood.

Given that Dunk lived eighty years ago, that leaves 63 other ancestors living at the same time period. None of them a Targ? Maybe.

At Aegon's time, that would be 65,536 ancestors. Still none of them a Targ? Unlikely.

Given that Dunk lived eighty years ago, that leaves 63 other ancestors living at the same time period. None of them a Targ? Maybe.

At Aegon's time, that would be 65,536 ancestors. Still none of them a Targ? Unlikely.

You have interesting math.

Archived