Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

I dont think Erikson understands the immortality system :P

Um, I thought kruppe reveals him self in book 1... It's been a while. Read these as they came ot in the US.

He reveals himself as being the eel in darujihstan. But, I'm thinking he's a whole lot more than a master spy. And in MoI, many characters have the same feeling. But, he never comes out and states anything. I could be wrong, just a feeling I get.

Yeah I'm staying away from the reread discussion. I've heard it's laden with spoilers. I just finished MoI, does anyone know of any interviews that SE had after it was published?

I'd say you can go to the reread threads safely, once you've finished each book. I don't think there's anything in the MoI discussion, for example, that would spoil things from HoC.

This is an interview from 2001, the year MoI was published, but he doesn't talk about the books.

So I've recently finished MoI and I have a question regarding events at the climax, so you've been warned don't open this spoiler tag if you havnt finished MoI!!!

What exactly happened with Itkovian and the T'lan Imass? He took away their suffering, but that's about all I was able to understand. I'm pretty confused. Did he somehow make them mortal again and release them from the bonds of the first ritual? I'm pretty lost.

And how is Kilvana still alive if she didn't take part in the ritual? I thought that the Imass were just regular mortals and lived regular lifespans which is why they did the ritual. So how is she still kicking? Does it have to do with her being a Soletaken? And if so are all Soletaken immortal?

Ghjhero,

Itkovian, took their suffering and grief, as he can do with anyone who allow it (via the reve). Siverfox is the only one who can release the T'lan Imass from the ritual, like she did with Tool. As for kilvava, I have no clue to the rules one soletaken, ascendants and such. I just finished also, and that's what I got from it. Hopes it helps ya.

Also,

Siverfox, kruppe and k'rul created the dreamworld for the Mybhe and the T'lan Imass. And I believe it was agreed upon by them and silver fox that they are gonna help their kin on Assail. After that she will release them from the ritual and the dreamworld is where they will go. You know cause they shunned their gods when taking part in the ritual. They was only expecting oblivion. But, now they know they have a place in the afterworld.

So I've recently finished MoI and I have a question regarding events at the climax, so you've been warned don't open this spoiler tag if you havnt finished MoI!!!

What exactly happened with Itkovian and the T'lan Imass? He took away their suffering, but that's about all I was able to understand. I'm pretty confused. Did he somehow make them mortal again and release them from the bonds of the first ritual? I'm pretty lost.

And how is Kilvana still alive if she didn't take part in the ritual? I thought that the Imass were just regular mortals and lived regular lifespans which is why they did the ritual. So how is she still kicking? Does it have to do with her being a Soletaken? And if so are all Soletaken immortal?

Some good thoughts on the acts of Itkovian are as follows.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/06/malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen-memories-of-ice-chapter-25-part-3-and-epilogue

and

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/06/malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen-memories-of-ice-chapter-25-part-2

and

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/06/malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen-memories-of-ice-chapter-25-part-1

While somewhat mystical, the Itkovian story is one of the really excellent plot lines in TMBOTF for me.

That's who I thought it was too.....but, that's the reason I'm staying away from malazanempire.com. I posted a question on the reading order of the books. But, I can't go back there, its too damn tempting to hit the spoilers. I can't help myself. Alas, I won't spoil it for ya. I'm still a little pissed about it.

I am struggling through House of Chains right now. It's not that the book is completely terrible. Actually there are some interesting bits, for instance

I

really want to know what the hell is up with Heboric's "Jade Giant" buried in that mass of otataral dust. As cool as that damn thing is, there'd better be some significance to it.

As usual with Erikson, a fascinating idea or two is derailed by tedious dialogue between soldiers and/or other characters I don't give a damn about, or some long winded chapter about such-and-such opening up this-or-that warren and doing some shit that doesn't seem to matter at all. If he would just stick to his big ideas and interesting characters these books would be so much better IMO.

I am struggling through House of Chains right now. It's not that the book is completely terrible. Actually there are some interesting bits, for instance

I

really want to know what the hell is up with Heboric's "Jade Giant" buried in that mass of otataral dust. As cool as that damn thing is, there'd better be some significance to it.

As usual with Erikson, a fascinating idea or two is derailed by tedious dialogue between soldiers and/or other characters I don't give a damn about, or some long winded chapter about such-and-such opening up this-or-that warren and doing some shit that doesn't seem to matter at all. If he would just stick to his big ideas and interesting characters these books would be so much better IMO.

House of Chains does drag a bit compared to the other books in the first half of the series, it has too much build-up to the ending and although the ending was reasonably good I didn't think it was good enough to justify all that had come before. I think it's the weakest of the first five by some distance.

House of Chains does drag a bit compared to the other books in the first half of the series, it has too much build-up to the ending and although the ending was reasonably good I didn't think it was good enough to justify all that had come before. I think it's the weakest of the first five by some distance.

OK, that makes me feel a bit better. I loved Karsa's story at the beginning, but my progress has slowed to a trickle since then. I'll keep plugging along.

So is the second half if the series better? Or what's your opinion. I'm also on HoC, there are certain times you have to push yourself through. But, overall it's been a great ride. Does the books get better or do they go downhill?

I've only finished MoI but man I hope your right! Because for as good as that book was.......the Mhybe was brutal reading.

Well there are a few other storyline which annoy people but overall that was by far the worst for me. I'm on dod now and that's the worst so far

So is the second half if the series better? Or what's your opinion. I'm also on HoC, there are certain times you have to push yourself through. But, overall it's been a great ride. Does the books get better or do they go downhill?

IMO they go downhill, big time. I loved the first 5 novels but I gave up after Book 9 since it become a chore to read in the last few volumes, a few great moments buried among stuff I couldn't care less about.

Archived