[Book Spoilers] Oberyn introduction

Inquisitor Glokta

Prince Oberyn Martell is a prince, not merely a knight like Ser Kevan nor a lord like Lord Stannis. Oberyn is a royal by birth. The other two are not. Well, were not.

Kevan is a landed knight, and yes, Stannis styles himself King now, and he was previously the Lord of Dragonstone, which made him the designated heir presumptive until his king had legal issue.

But unless memory deceives me, Stannis was never even then styled the Prince of Dragonstone as had been Prince Rhaegar and so many before him. Why not, I don’t really know.

But that's just a matter of Dornish style. Oberyn isn't any more "royal" than Benjen Stark is.

Since King Robert "stuck" Stannis with Dragonstone against his preference, I presume he also denied him the style of Prince. Even though so styling him would help paper Robert's kingship as deliberate by his drop of Targaryen blood, rather than as a usurpation (which it is anyway while the Targaryens in Essos live).

I can't wait for the Mountain to die so they can stop changing the actor playing him. They completely ruined the character after the first season.

He's a bizarrely huge sociopath. That's the whole character, I don't think you can ruin him other than cast someone small.

I knew it. Pedro Pascal simply is the right choice. Wonderful characterisation! Hot, cool, badass, smart... just the way I like my Red Viper served. B)

I too would've liked a more subtle introduction, however... Now it kind of seems like they made him dive head first into the whole story. 'Aaaand here's Oberyn Martell who you've all been waiting for a long time, look how cool he is, you gotta like him! YEAH! LIKE HIM! SO COOL!' Well it really was cool and they didn't make him behave off character, quite the opposite, so I don't mind.

Now I really got to rewatch his scenes...

Also anybody else suddenly very eager to hear Pedro Pascal in the DVD commentary? :)

Not sure you can devote a lot of screen time developing a 1 season character.

TV Oberyn is nice but not creepy enough. I'll drop a tear when he pass away.

In the books he's a real piece of crap. Protective of his family, ok, but a freakin killer with the !morality of a crab louse. When Gregor smashed his head, after being poisened, it was something of a fair retribution. 2 wicked birds killed with one stone.

The actor is fine, but the brothel scene was all kinds of stupid.

Agree. They could have sticker to the way the party from Dorne was introduced in the books. I missed him saying his waiting for the "justice to be served". Hope they use it sometime.

Yeah, but it's not some kind of ancient rivalry in the way people from the Reach have been hating dornishmen since forever. I guess we'll see the T/M hostilities in next episode when they're already in the Reed Keep next to the Tyrells.

Nothing was mentioned about Martell/Tyrell issues, and I wonder if it will be included. Obviously, we know the issue was worsened by the Oberyn/Willas maiming incident (even though the two of them are on good terms, the families ain't), but being as it does go back to the times of Dorne coming into the kingdoms, and Tyrells put as lords over them, I wonder if they will finally try and introduce it somehow. And this IS the billionth reason that I hate the fact they have cut out Willas, not to mention Garland. Ughhhhhhhhh and Ahhhhhhhhhh (yeah, I do that alot, it gets rid of negative buildup, LOL)

ETA: And, yeah, duh, of course the issues go back even beyond the Seven Kingdoms under the Targs, they were always awarring with each other, not too neighborly, LOL

They're in a war, dammit. Short hair is more aerodynamic for running at enemies.

Anyway, re: Oberyn... His fucking smile as he explained "there are so many veins in the wrist...". Loved it. This dude is not one to be messed with.

OMG!!! Maybe they fear the Westerosi equivalent of the NFL dreadlock and long haired rule, all being fair game in a fight? LOL

^They still can make some Oberyn/Loras rivalry.

Or worst, some Oberyn/Loras "closeness".

no, no no no no no,

~sticks fingers in ears, covers eyes and starts going lalalalalalala saw nothing, read nothing, am thinking Nuthin, nuthin, nuthin~

I may have nightmares now, thanks, LOL

ETA: Yeah, those lines and that look on his face were priceless. And, then to the other dude, decisions, decisions, LOL

I hope I'm not the only one hoping for more Olyvar-Oberyn time together...

:leaving:

I don't like Olyvar for some reason. The looks he gets on his face when people aren't looking, like even Oberyn in that scene, irks me. Yeah, he's a good looking dude, but so far, I'm not getting positive vibes on the character's innerself. Although, I'd rather see that then The Viper of Awesome put with ShowLoras. ~shudder~

ETA: Yeah, those lines and that look on his face were priceless. And, then to the other dude, decisions, decisions, LOL

I'm adopting that for me, the next time I make other suffer. DEcisions, Decisions...

I don't like Olyvar for some reason. The looks he gets on his face when people aren't looking, like even Oberyn in that scene, irks me.

Olyvar looks like a modern pop star being randomly inserted in Westeros only to fit the need of some eyecandy for the ladies. Like a male Talisa. Ewwrggh...

ANd yes, I'm fearing the sugestion of him being Satin becoming true, followed by the endless tumblr posts about Satin/Jon.

I'm adopting that for me, the next time I make other suffer. DEcisions, Decisions...

Olyvar looks like a modern pop star being randomly inserted in Westeros only to fit the need of some eyecandy for the ladies. Like a male Talisa. Ewwrggh...

ANd yes, I'm fearing the sugestion of him being Satin becoming true, followed by the endless tumblr posts about Satin/Jon.

And, my first post answerign up and vanished, LOL

Nightmares galore, those ideas are, I need to rewash the visual with some Oberyn scenes. :drool:

This scene was actually pretty tame compared to some earlier brothel scenes, the whores actually are dressed for most of the scene instead of just standing around as naked eye-candy. As opposed to the really gratuitous "Tyrion rewards Pod" scene in S3.

The whole scene seemed to be meant to show that (1) Oberyn loves sex but (2) Oberyn also hates the Lannisters so much that he'd rather mess with them than engage in sexytimes. All that isn't too far removed from his book version. It also established Ellaria as being somewhat of a check on his bloodthirstiness.

It also seems Olyvar (who I didn't recognize at first and then I was like "oh yeah it's the guy who does Loras in S3"), has been promoted into Ros's old position, as a "procurer"/super-expensive premium whore.

About the only thing that annoyed me was this idea that Tyrion is seriously concerned about staying faithful to Sansa. (I mean, later on he even turns Shae down! Though considering that Cersei's spy was just outside the door that was actually smart on his part.) Maybe it's just woobifying Tyrion a tiny bit more before the character starts his downward spiral? One can only hope.

TV Oberyn is nice but not creepy enough. I'll drop a tear when he pass away.

In the books he's a real piece of crap. Protective of his family, ok, but a freakin killer with the !morality of a crab louse. When Gregor smashed his head, after being poisened, it was something of a fair retribution. 2 wicked birds killed with one stone.

Really? A crab louse you say? Allow me to take issue with this.

Whilst not necessarily a man of honour, Oberyn is loyal unto death. He is loyal to his disabled brother, to his deceased sister and to his beloved daughters, but above all he is loyal unto himself. He wants to pursue knowledge? He studies a few years as a Maester (the only other noblemen that we know of who have done that are Maester Amon and Samwell Tarly, so he is in bloody good company, as us English are wont to say).

He is bisexual and lascivious? He does not pretend to be anything else, he is upfront about his sexuality and very honorably declines to get married, insofar as we know, only the Blackfish or perhaps Benjen Stark has taken a similar decision. Tyrion is comparable but even he gave in to social, family pressure and married Sansa against his best inclinations. He respects his current lover with whom he has been for over ten years and does not care that she is not of noble birth.

He treats women as equal and loves his daughters. Again he could have disowned each and every one of his female bastards but he did not do so, compare him in this to Ned. He treats them as individuals, he ensures they are educated, he respects that they all have different personalities and helps them build on their strengths. He even sets boundaries, none of his daughters is going to grow up like Joff, he tells them "if you ever have problems with men, don't come crying to me, I have given you the necessary resources to deal with the problem yourself". That is the true purpose of any good education, independence and autonomy.

Yes I am biased but I think I have provided more than sufficient arguments to say that Oberyn Martell, Prince of Dorne is no louse. Produce your own or shut up!

Archived