Game of Thrones Smashes Ratings Record

Westeros

Well, if you look at the rise in ratings over the course of the season and in between seasons during the show's run, you get this:

Season 1: 2.22 to 3.04 = + 0.82 million

= + 0.82 million (between Season 1 and 2)

= 1.60 million viewers

Season 2: 3.86 to 4.20 = + 0.34 million

= + 0.17 million (between Season 2 and 3)

= 0.51 million viewers

Season 3: 4.37 to 5.39 = + 1.02 million

= + 1.25 million (between Season 3 and 4)

= 2.27 million viewers

Season 4: 6.64 to ?

I was hoping the show might get a bump like Season 3 but so far the show is more resembling Season 2. I am interested to see what type of ratings the finale will get. It might be that the show has finally plateaued, although we will have to wait until the Season 5 premier to be really sure.

It was Easter weekend though. And I think that while there's a clear trend of the show increasing viewers over the course of each season, the sample size is still far too small to determine exactly what events or types of episodes cause people to either start viewing, or start viewing live instead later in the week.

Also, if either the PW or Rape! cause the show to gain new viewers, there's now 33 episodes for them to get through before catching up. That takes time, and probably leads to delayed affects (i.e. if either event increases viewership we probably won't know before episode 6 or 7 at the earliest).

My thinking is that the latter half of this season has some of the more memorable moments from the book series (i.e., Oberyn and the Mountain, Tywin and Tyrion, Battle at Castle Black, etc.), so I am expecting a pretty big rise in ratings. If not, then it might be the case that the show has maxed out. But, like I said before, I would not discount anything until the fifth season premier. That is when you can get a really good sense of whether the series is still picking up viewers, stayed at the same level, or even begun losing them.

My thinking is that the latter half of this season has some of the more memorable moments from the book series (i.e., Oberyn and the Mountain, Tywin and Tyrion, Battle at Castle Black, etc.), so I am expecting a pretty big rise in ratings. If not, then it might be the case that the show has maxed out. But, like I said before, I would not discount anything until the fifth season premier. That is when you can get a really good sense of whether the series is still picking up viewers, stayed at the same level, or even begun losing them.

The show can hardly rise indefinitely. HBO is a premium service with some 30 million subscribers in the US, if I remember correctly. Present audiences are huge as is - almost 50% of their subscribers are watching GoT. That's already enormous.

Well, if you look at the rise in ratings over the course of the season and in between seasons during the show's run, you get this:

Season 1: 2.22 to 3.04 = + 0.82 million

= + 0.82 million (between Season 1 and 2)

= 1.60 million viewers

Season 2: 3.86 to 4.20 = + 0.34 million

= + 0.17 million (between Season 2 and 3)

= 0.51 million viewers

Season 3: 4.37 to 5.39 = + 1.02 million

= + 1.25 million (between Season 3 and 4)

= 2.27 million viewers

Season 4: 6.64 to ?

I was hoping the show might get a bump like Season 3 but so far the show is more resembling Season 2. I am interested to see what type of ratings the finale will get. It might be that the show has finally plateaued, although we will have to wait until the Season 5 premier to be really sure.

Where do those stats come from?

Season 2 is an odd bird, because S2E6 was Blackwater and I heard a lot of word of mouth about it ... so one never knows how many go-back-and-watchers there were.

Plus season 2 did BOFFO DVD sales.

Where do those stats come from?

Season 2 is an odd bird, because S2E6 was Blackwater and I heard a lot of word of mouth about it ... so one never knows how many go-back-and-watchers there were.

Plus season 2 did BOFFO DVD sales.

It was actually the ninth episode of the second season, not the sixth, and reaction to the episode is reflected in the ratings for the next episode, the season finale, which had 300,000 more live viewers than any other episode during the second season. You can find detailed information here.

For what it is worth, I do not think the second season ratings are particularly odd. It is, in my view, easily the weakest of the three seasons so far, which is probably why it contributed least to the success of the show, apart from "Blackwater."

It was actually the ninth episode of the second season, not the sixth, and reaction to the episode is reflected in the ratings for the next episode, the season finale, which had 300,000 more live viewers than any other episode during the second season. You can find detailed information here.

For what it is worth, I do not think the second season ratings are particularly odd. It is, in my view, easily the weakest of the three seasons so far, which is probably why it contributed least to the success of the show, apart from "Blackwater."

Yes a typo, S2E9.

Not seen that page before.

Had seen the numbers before, but that right hand column still says 'U.S.' viewers, one night first showing only.

No sales figures are given for DVD , Season 2 did 22% better than Seasn 1 there and there were twice as many digital download too.

We never but NEVER get non-U.S. views, (except sometimes for the UK), and god-only-knows what world wide DVD sales where?

I still think the curve for season 2 is 'uncorrected' especially the number of later viewers of S2E9 has not been factored in.

Disagree about the weakness of Season 2, only found the Qarth story lackluster.

Rest was fine.

Disagree about the weakness of Season 2, only found the Qarth story lackluster.

Rest was fine.

I recently re-watched Season 2 and it's actually very good. Even Qarth is perfectly servicable and interesting to watch. The only storyline I didn't particularly like was Jon's. That could've been handled better. But everything else--KL, Arya, Stannis, Renly, Theon, Bran--was great.

The show can hardly rise indefinitely. HBO is a premium service with some 30 million subscribers in the US, if I remember correctly. Present audiences are huge as is - almost 50% of their subscribers are watching GoT. That's already enormous.

Ah, but you aren't accounting for HBO GO account sharing. (Which HBO are ironically promoting with their latest series of ads, at least among family members). I believe the 6.6/8.2 numbers we are getting don't include HBO GO but the "all platforms" numbers (last we heard was ~14 million?) do.

Ah, but you aren't accounting for HBO GO account sharing. (Which HBO are ironically promoting with their latest series of ads, at least among family members). I believe the 6.6/8.2 numbers we are getting don't include HBO GO but the "all platforms" numbers (last we heard was ~14 million?) do.

Yeah, I included them in my numbers. If total GoT viewership across all platforms and timeslots is close to 15 million and HBO has around 30 million subscribers overall, then that's close to 50%.

Yeah, I included them in my numbers. If total GoT viewership across all platforms and timeslots is close to 15 million and HBO has around 30 million subscribers overall, then that's close to 50%.

You're missing my point. If 30% of those 30 million estimated subscribers are sharing their HBO GO password with one or more people (I'm making up this number, of course) than you're underestimating both the percentage of HBO subscribers that currently watch Game of Thrones, as well as potentially underestimating the growth potential. Of course, any hard information regarding current subscription numbers, and current HBO GO usage, as well as how these overlap with each others, are unknown to us. So it's not really possible to make an accurate estimation on what percentage of potential viewership is currently watching.

You're missing my point. If 30% of those 30 million estimated subscribers are sharing their HBO GO password with one or more people (I'm making up this number, of course) than you're underestimating both the percentage of HBO subscribers that currently watch Game of Thrones, as well as potentially underestimating the growth potential. Of course, any hard information regarding current subscription numbers, and current HBO GO usage, as well as how these overlap with each others, are unknown to us. So it's not really possible to make an accurate estimation on what percentage of potential viewership is currently watching.

Ah, now I understand.

You're missing my point. If 30% of those 30 million estimated subscribers are sharing their HBO GO password with one or more people (I'm making up this number, of course)

Making up numbers sure can cover a lot of statistical sins.

It was an example, and I was making sure to indicate I am not trying to make a real estimate (since I have no basis for any numbers to make such an estimate). So what exactly is the problem?

Frankly , since there is only the US data to go on, and stuff like the DVD (or even historical viewer) data is never updated... we are kind of stuck not knowing exactly what the real RATING RECORD is.

Few are that interested.

(Tho I am.)

I don't think the accountants at Time Warner would ever let us know.

We have only qualified approximations ... guess will have to live with that.

The point I was trying to make was that estimating that 50% of HBO subscribers in the US already watch Game of Thrones based on the ~15 million weekly viewers on all formats (including HBO GO) numbers is flawed, because HBO GO account sharing allows for a larger-than-subscriber-base of viewers.

The rating records are are referring to is US only, sure... but that's implicit in almost all of the ratings numbers we discuss, so not sure it is useful to belabor the point.

The point I was trying to make was that estimating that 50% of HBO subscribers in the US already watch Game of Thrones based on the ~15 million weekly viewers on all formats (including HBO GO) numbers is flawed, because HBO GO account sharing allows for a larger-than-subscriber-base of viewers.

The rating records are are referring to is US only, sure... but that's implicit in almost all of the ratings numbers we discuss, so not sure it is useful to belabor the point.

Sort of. HBO Go is a verified login, meaning that it will only tally one viewing per account. So even if you share your account with several people, and all of them watch Game of Thrones, it still only counts as one view, technically.

Sort of. HBO Go is a verified login, meaning that it will only tally one viewing per account. So even if you share your account with several people, and all of them watch Game of Thrones, it still only counts as one view, technically.

Are you sure that's how it works, is there a source you can cite? I mean, that makes sense that it might be that way, just wondering if there is solid evidence that it is that way.

Assuming that is correct, that would mean a theoretical maximum of 2x viewers over subscribers.

HBO expanded foreign last year, I guess this too.

It is a thing I am interested in, I think because it is so mysterious.

Archived