Best Military Mind on ASOIAF?

Jose Stark

I wonder if we'll have a Cannae style annhihilation before the book's over. Maybe Stannis the Mannis slaughters the Tyrell Army whilst outnumbered 3 to 1.

I don't think any commander we've seen or heard from has the ability to pull a cannae

Golden Company vs. Tyrells. They'd rip the Flowers to pieces.

Hannibal was outnumbered 3 to 2 IIRC, the GC only has 10k men, whilst the Tyrells have 80k.

I don't think any commander we've seen or heard from has the ability to pull a cannae

Robb Stark almost certainly would have done it to Jaime if he had slightly more men to spare. Stannis could maybe have done it to Renly, Renly was stupid and too headstrong, he'd see Stannis' center buckling, he'd immediately press in only to realize he's been stuck like pig on 4 sides.

Hannibal was outnumbered 3 to 2 IIRC, the GC only has 10k men, whilst the Tyrells have 80k.

Robb Stark almost certainly would have done it to Jaime if he had slightly more men to spare. Stannis could maybe have done it to Renly, Renly was stupid and too headstrong, he'd see Stannis' center buckling, he'd immediately press in only to realize he's been stuck like pig on 4 sides.

Renly had Randyll Tarly with him and his army was almost purely heavy cavalry. Stannis host was a joke and he was pinned against the walls of Storm's End so once Renly attacked and Stannis turned his attention to him Ser Courtnay could ride out and take him in the rear. Renly's 20,000 is going to beat Stannis' 5,000 no matter how stupid you think Renly is.

Not with a purely cavalry army. Hannibals tactics required extremely disciplined infantry and superior cavalry. It was slaughter on epic proportions and one of the greatest military victories ever. A more experienced Robb might perhaps conceive it but I can't see anyone else with the brilliance

Archived