Ending Differences

Bearded Swordsman

That's rubbish. It's not like they're too stupid to understand the characters. They just make changes that you don't like.

Agreed, personally, some of the changes they made pleased me, some of them made me mad, but it would be completely impossible to adapt the entire series with 100% accuracy

That's rubbish. It's not like they're too stupid to understand the characters. They just make changes that you don't like.

Have you seen the interview where one of them states that Stannis would be a terrible king because of his lack of sympathy for the small folk - in contrast to Renly whose tactic is to let the land bleed so he can mop up afterwards?

Have you seen the interview where one of them states that Stannis would be a terrible king because of his lack of sympathy for the small folk - in contrast to Renly whose tactic is to let the land bleed so he can mop up afterwards?

I'd say that whoever says Stannis would make a crappy king, understands the series just fine.

I want to talk about potencial changes to the series ending made by the tv show.

By that I mean to ask a question: Do you think some major events will be eventually changed due to the different storytelling by the show ? And will it have a big effect on the series ending ?

As has been said, D&D know where most of the story is going - who, if anyone, will sit the IT, how the WW invasion is going to turn out and what's going to happen to the major houses and their most prominent representatives. So unless GRRM decides to shaft his original ending and write something completely different instead half-way through WoW, then the show ending is going to follow the major events closely, by which I mean that the outcomes will be the same, though not necessarily the journey to get there.

I'd say that whoever says Stannis would make a crappy king, understands the series just fine.

Agreed. Unfortunately, so would most of the other contenders.

When exactly has Stannis ever shown kindness to the small folk in the books? I honestly can't remember once.

Well, for some reason this thread has been put into a spoiler-free zone which makes no sense at all, seeing as you can't talk about differences without referring to the books.

The argument in the interview was that Renly is far kinder to the small folk than Stannis. Here are their true actions:

Renly: waits for Lion and Wolf to devour each other, closes the roads - result: devastation in the Riverlands, famine in King's Landing

Stannis:

goes to the wall and the North - result: protection against the Others, rooting out the Boltons and Iron Born

Aside from that, Stannis is most of all just, fair and doesn't crave being loved. All the pretenders want to rule because they want to exploit the position or because they see it as something fun. There hasn't been justice in the realm since probably Jaehaerys II. The crown is heavily indebted, someone has to put some unloved measures in place to remedy that, but the Lannisters are too fond of spending for themselves and Renly/the Tyrells care too much for being loved. Daenerys would probably just kill everyone from the Iron Bank to make a few more enemies.

D&D know about the major plot twists, so the final ending will probably be the same. They lack however the understanding of the finer points of many characters, so the most important part (the story itself) will get chewed on, spat out and shat upon.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to experience the books in the same way as the show. They're two different entities. Even though they'll have the same ending (more or less I assume) the journey is so vastly different in a televised medium than a printed medium.

Change is good. You will still have the books in their purest form, but the show, why would anyone want to see exactly what they've already read? I see the show as expanding (or contracting) certain qualities of ASoIaF. Streamlined. Economic.

Personally if any printed medium is adapted into film or television I want to have a new experience, not a rehash.

Stannis has never shown compasion for anyone, let alone the small folk. I mean, the dude cut the fingers off of Davos AFTER Davos saved them from the siege!

He burned his own bannerman alive, was going to sacrifice his brothers child....

Now, would Renly have been any better, IDK, but it's possible

Stannis has never shown compasion for anyone, let alone the small folk. I mean, the dude cut the fingers off of Davos AFTER Davos saved them from the siege!

He burned his own bannerman alive, was going to sacrifice his brothers child....

Now, would Renly have been any better, IDK, but it's possible

He never wanted to sacrifice Edric. Mel and Selyse tried talking him into it and he avoided the task as long as possible and was relieved when Davos smuggled him away.

Which of his bannermen are you refering to? The one who commited treason by trying to make peace with the Lannisters, marrying Stannis' only daughter off to Tommen, the incest-boy? Or are you refering to the cannibals?

In both instances, the death penalty is appropiate within the laws of Westeros, he chose death by fire to appease the Queen's men. When he was asked to burn infidels, he told the faithful to "pray harder".

Davos was a smuggler, after all. The fact that Davos is Stannis' most loyal follower shows, that he himself thinks he's gotten off the hook just fine.

As to compassion for the small folk in general - look into my earlier post within the spoiler.

Just for example take a look at the movie Troy: it had major deviations from the books (Paris lived, Achilles and Agamemnon died when sacking Troy, ...) which angered me a lot, still it was a good movie and the overall outcome was the same.

I want to talk about potencial changes to the series ending made by the tv show.

By that I mean to ask a question: Do you think some major events will be eventually changed due to the different storytelling by the show ? And will it have a big effect on the series ending ?

As has been noted through out this now Dave, Dan and Bryan know the whole rest of the story in broad strokes, even the ending.

I think they will have enough of Winds in their hands for season 5 and 6 that nothing major will change.

How they elaborate what they need from Dream , if they have none of it, I don't know.

When exactly has Stannis ever shown kindness to the small folk in the books? I honestly can't remember once.

he doesn't really care about nobility, so he probably cares about as much about small folk as about noblemen, besides he is trying to save the realm from a WW invasion in the books

he doesn't really care about nobility, so he probably cares about as much about small folk as about noblemen, besides he is trying to save the realm from a WW invasion in the books

I'm not saying your wrong, but Stannis has never once shown kindness to the small folk, both on TV or in the books. Edmure, Egg and on the show Margaery are the lords who seem to be the most well known for helping the small folk.

George himself has referenced the butterfly effect in numerous interviews in regards to future differences between the books and the programme. Minor changes made early on by the writers mean that some larger events - including probably some as of yet unrevealed plotlines - will be significantly affected due to the killing-off of characters, merging of storylines and so on.

As others have said, I think the broad strokes will remain the same, and George's overall ending will be unchanged. However, these other, smaller changes in plot will undoubtedly affect the existing characters in major ways. It's hard to see how, in the somewhat altered future circumstances of the programme, characters who are significantly developed in the later books like say Stannis or the various Greyjoys (if they appear!) can remain unchanged to how they appear in the text.

To take one example that's often mentioned on this forum: if Asha/Yara is sailing away from the Iron Islands just as Balon is reaching his expiry-date, where does that leave the whole Kingsmoot scenario and the vying for power between the Greyjoys? If they are not merged as many predict, will Victarion and Euron still have the same dynamic and personalities? Will the kingsmoot even take place? Will Victarion still set sail for Slaver's Bay if it doesn't?

Archived