Whatever happened to Aegon marrying Dany?

benalapin

i think its not so much that he doesnt want to marry her, thats probably still the plan for him, its just that people doubt that dany will want to marry him, as we doubt that tyrion's reasoning will work. I dont know how exactly dany will be turned off him, either by her being pissed off at him invading first, or she thinks he is a fake, or that she doesnt like him as a person, but I'm pretty sure that Danaerys will not marry him

I think the assumption is that he may get tempted by marriage options from great houses within Westeros--Arianne is definitely a possibility depending on how Dorne receives news of Quentyn's death, some consider Margaery a possibility depending on how soon Tommen dies, etc. At the conclusion of Dance, though, I think Aegon is still acting with the expectation that he will marry Dany once she arrives, IIRC.

Like, wasn't that their plan? And then Tyrion said Aegon should make himself worthy of Dany's marriage by establishing a foothold in Westeros first. Why do people think he doesn't want to marry Dany anymore?

People do sort of overlook this. On the other hand news will come that Quentyn was in Slavers Bay and trying to work out a marriage alliance before he died trying to make off with the dragons which he could use in Westeros against the Iron Throne. At the same time there will also be reports that Dany is missing and possibly dead. This might force the Dornish into the war in all likelyhood and at the same time Aegon and his people might have to reconsider marrying him to Dany, she might not even be alive plus she has married this Hizadar guy anyways. I guess it all depends on the timing of this news and when it reaches certain people and what they make out of it. Still until this happens I think the Dany marriage is still the plan for Aegon, I don't know if it will come soon enough for the Arrianne/Aegon marriage to happen.

Like, wasn't that their plan? And then Tyrion said Aegon should make himself worthy of Dany's marriage by establishing a foothold in Westeros first. Why do people think he doesn't want to marry Dany anymore?

Cause Arianne is about to seduce him. I suspect he will eventually wed Daenerys orat least ally with her and then betray her for his love of Arianne.

It's still the plan. When Haldon suggests to marry Aegon to make alliances, Connington says they need to keep him available for when Dany returns.

Of course, we don't have Aegon's pov so we don't know if Tyrion's words made him realise he doesn't need Dany at all or he simply is trying to prove his value. He knows she has dragons and while he's doing everything right so far, they still need them.

I see what he gets out of this but aside from the possible allegiance of the Golden Company is there a great deal in it for her?

the GC is pretty powerful, its probably the second most powerful fighting force in the world (that we know of) but there would also be whatever castles and towns they have captured, and whatever houses have declared for aegon by the time dany gets there. But i think also part of the idea that Tyrion suggests would be that, when danaerys hearing of the existence of a nephew, her only remaining kin in the world that she knows, and that he is fighting for his life in westeros, she would rush to help him, resulting in a lot more positive first impression than him turning up in Meereen and saying, 'hi, i'm your nephew, and my claim is better than yours and your going to marry me'

I do see them going on a play date first rather than declaring war on one another at the start. It's just the most natural thing for them to try and get along. They're still relatives even if he's acted a lil' presumptuous. And he hasn't disgraced the family name by being an embarrassment thus far. (He's the anti-Quentyn, someone to team up with proudly. Why disown Aegon?) ....Is that what's going to cause Danee to complain---her bro is too good at his job and she'll feel threatened by that? She wanted to be the Targ who wore the pants and when she tries to put a skirt on Aegon there's trouble? I can see this stuff causing a lil' bit o' friction but not enough to break up the band. For that you'll need outside interference to stir up trouble between the Targs. I guess Varys will do the honors by acting like an ass until he creates discord in TargTown.

It isn't that he is tired of waiting; I think it will have to do with Dany winning against the Masters and ending up Queen of Slavers Bay; setting up the Targs in a newly united nation, perhaps Tyrion is given soldiers and a city to administer, Ser Barristan etc.

While that will be all well and good Aegon will not a more meaningful marriage for political and dynastic reasons.

I do see them going on a play date first rather than declaring war on one another at the start. It's just the most natural thing for them to try and get along. They're still relatives even if he's acted a lil' presumptuous. And he hasn't disgraced the family name by being an embarrassment thus far. (He's the anti-Quentyn, someone to team up with proudly. Why disown Aegon?) ....Is that what's going to cause Danee to complain---her bro is too good at his job and she'll feel threatened by that? She wanted to be the Targ who wore the pants and when she tries to put a skirt on Aegon there's trouble? I can see this stuff causing a lil' bit o' friction but not enough to break up the band. For that you'll need outside interference to stir up trouble between the Targs. I guess Varys will do the honors by acting like an ass until he creates discord in TargTown.

I agree with most of this. I think Tyrion nailed it on his perception of how Dany will react, and I think Tyrion will drive home that suggestion.

Things that can ruin that would be the

Gray plague

Dragnapping

Either dies from something before wedding

The Others get off their ass and invade (honestly they are as bad as dany lol)

Arienne beats her to it lol.

Archived