UK Politics - police blackmail edition

Maltaran

No.

The best possible result for UKIP would give them a handful of Westminster seats, allowing them to possibly be a player in a Hung Parliament situation (I can see them getting concessions out of the Tories, less so Labour). First Past the Post isn't friendly to small parties.

...I don't get how people can switch from Lib Dem to UKIP - what kind of values do they have? Or are they just voting anti-main-parties? *psychology fail*

If you are an economic liberal, free market, flat tax type then why not?

I too was surprised by the range of far right/anti-EU parties on the South-East region ballot. Really all varieties of anti-EU sentiment catered for. I'm surprised that so many parties were putting up ten candidates though - maybe the cost should be upped progressively to discourage the chancers?

If you are an economic liberal, free market, flat tax type then why not?

I don't think anyone votes UKIP for tax reasons.

Apparently there is a strong correlation between UKIP performance in this election and areas of school underperformance. Make of that what you will.

I don't think anyone votes UKIP for tax reasons.

Apparently there is a strong correlation between UKIP performance in this election and areas of school underperformance. Make of that what you will.

Their own spokesman came out today and said they did worse in London because it's "more educated, cultural and younger". So basically UKIP voters are thick and/or old people. Quelle surprise. The unstoppable rise of UKIP to a grand total of zero councils controlled and zero mps continues unabated. When will it end?

In other news, Labour making some decent gains, especially in "educated, cultural" London, but with perhaps an underwhelming overall performance. The coalition forces have taken a bit of a beating. Not sure if that's because they're awful shitheads or whether it's just a normal swing for a governing party.

Government losses at this time in a Parliament would normally be far, far worse, and the main opposition would be doing far, far better. If I were Miliband, I'd be very worried.

Notice you didn't refute the claim that the coalition are awful shitheads. Glad we're on the same page ;)

I don't think Milliband necessarily needs to be worried - this is an unpopular government, but discontent is simply more widely spread than normal, so the opposition vote isn't coalescing around the Opposition.

I think at this point, a narrow Labour majority or a Hung Parliament with Labour as the largest party is a pretty likely possibility, so Milliband (probably) still winds up Prime Minister.

I didn't think it was worth the trouble. I should have touched on the claim that because UKIP does well in areas that have lower educational attainment levels, they are only supported by stupid people, though. Presumably you think that as the same holds true for Labour that the same conclusion can be drawn.

I don't think Milliband necessarily needs to be worried - this is an unpopular government, but discontent is simply more widely spread than normal, so the opposition vote isn't coalescing around the Opposition.

I think at this point, a narrow Labour majority or a Hung Parliament with Labour as the largest party is a pretty likely possibility, so Milliband (probably) still winds up Prime Minister.

Well, as Labour has an inbuilt electoral advantage of circa 50 seats, you may well be right. The government's support tends to rise from its midterm lows as the general election looms, though, so I still say he will be worried.

I didn't think it was worth the trouble. I should have touched on the claim that because UKIP does well in areas that have lower educational attainment levels, they are only supported by stupid people, though. Presumably you think that as the same holds true for Labour that the same conclusion can be drawn.

Soz, I thought the lighthearted tone of my post came through, but I guess not. Have absoutely no interest in fighting about UKIP tbh.

Sorry, had a tough week. :)

ha, me too!

For the record, I don't think people who vote UKIP (or Labour for that matter) are thick inherently. I think the thing which gets lost a lot is that many people vote UKIP because, though Europe seems a very, very long way away from their day to day lives, so does London. Neither of them are places that people in, say, Sunderland, can relate to really.

I would imagine that Labour are worried, they've made media headway with the squeezed middle and cost of living crisis as issues yet the polls have been drawing closer. The polling for the governing party generally improves slightly just before a general election, but not as early as this.

If you subscribe to a governments lose elections, oppositions don't win them view point then you are stuck trying to capitalise on the governments mistakes. The government doesn't look particularly good, but then perhaps because its a coalition the effects of negative publicity might be being diffused with Tory or LibDem voters tended to blame the coalition partner rather than become disenchanted with their own party, certainly looking at the polls the LibDems seem to be suffering more than the Torys.

It looks at this stage like another close election, possibly another hung parliament.

Or one could argue that under-performing schools are a sign of poor governance which is likely to encourage voters to look outside the more established parties without assuming that UKIP voters are products of generations of poor schooling, inbreeding and chronic abuse of industrial alcohol (except of course in the Fens).

Editorial note: horrific hangovers and typos appear to strongly correlate. Discuss using your indoor voices.

Or one could argue that under-performing schools are a sign of poor governance which is likely to encourage voters to look outside the more established parties without assuming that UKIP voters are products of generations of poor schooling, inbreeding and chronic abuse of industrial alcohol (except of course in the Fens).

Editorial note: horrific hangovers and typos appear to strongly correlate. Discuss using your indoor voices.

IF I WASN'T IRANIAN, I'D HATE YOU RIGHT NOW.

Archived