UK Politics - police blackmail edition

Maltaran

That sounds, well, utterly moronic. Can he even do that? Is the Minister in charge of the various curricula? It's sounds a bit mad if he is. I wouldn't trust any one person to have a sufficient breath of knowledge in one subject area, let alone all of them.

Yes, we've got a national curriculum and the minister has some sway over it, we had a long running clash over the History curriculum a while back.

Of Mice and Men axed apparently because Gove doesn't like it says the Telegraph and much the same story in the Independent but with to kill a mocking bird also dropped.

Bethan Marshall, a senior lecturer in English at King's College, London, told The Sunday Times: “It's a syllabus out of the 1940s and rumour has it Michael Gove, who read literature, designed it himself...

...Students taking the OCR exam from 2015 will be required to study a pre-20th century novel, Romantic poetry and a Shakespeare play.

The DfE issued a statement following the criticism. It said: “In the past, English literature GCSEs were not rigorous enough and their content was often far too narrow. We published the new subject content for English literature in December.

“It doesn't ban any authors, books or genres. It does ensure pupils will learn about a wide range of literature, including at least one Shakespeare play, a 19th century novel written anywhere and post-1914 fiction or drama written in the British Isles.

Well at least the 19th century novel can be one that was written anywhere!

ETA And The Crucible is being dropped too! I did that at school. Maybe it will be replaced with UK plays like Look back in Anger, The Romans in Britain or Shopping and F***ing?

Yes, we've got a national curriculum and the minister has some sway over it, we had a long running clash over the History curriculum a while back.

Of Mice and Men

axed apparently because Gove doesn't like it says the Telegraph and much the same story in the Independent but with to kill a mocking bird also dropped.

Well at least the 19th century novel can be one that was written anywhere!

ETA And The Crucible is being dropped too! I did

that at school. Maybe it will be replaced with UK plays like Look back in Anger, The Romans in Britain or Shopping and F***ing?

What the Butler Saw! would go down well with most teenagers.

The party seems to agree as the rebellion over Red Ed's leadership has changed up a gear.

Well, there's been a comment or two leaked to the press, but the same has happened to Clegg and even Cameron (though the latter relates to the possibility of change after the '15 election, rather than before). It really does seem to be a set of results that nobody's happy with except UKIP. (And the SNP, who won in Scotland, though even they are now being quizzed about policy changes after UKIP took one seat).

It's funny how the press gallery keep running 'Doomed Ed/Nick/Dave' stories when it's clear none of the three party heads or their parties have anything resembling public goodwill and another hung parliament looms. Maybe there's some kind of broader phenomenon at play? Nah.

I thought the Guardian piece on the original leader of UKIP, Alan Sked, was pretty interesting. I could have voted for him.

It was an interesting piece. If nothing else, he comes across as incredibly open-minded (he changes his mind when the facts change) and yet strangely naive - too nice a guy to realise that his creation was being hijacked before it was too late. If Farage did make that nig-nog comment, that should have sent warning signals to anyone with a political brain, but it seems Sked's brain is only for academia.

(One bit that did put me off though was his planned book on attacking Abraham Lincoln. The fact that anti-Lincoln sentiment is commonly associated with US libertarians and unreconstructed racists doesn't bode well for his prospects, given that he's already given birth to UKIP).

Three of the five remaining Liberal Democrats (the others being Maltaran and Mark Oaten) are, it seems, having a slight spat:

Nick Clegg has said Lord Oakeshott is seeking to "undermine" the Lib Dems after the peer commissioned an opinion poll suggesting the party would do better with a new leader.

He described Lord Oakeshott's actions as "a great pity" and accused him of taking "pot shots" at his own side.

Business Secretary Vince Cable, a former close ally of Lord Oakeshott, has distanced himself from the poll.

I'll have you know I voted Green last week

I do apologise, I feel as though I have impugned the good name of the entire Klinkerhoffen family, it's almost as bad as suggesting that Hereward purchased his ancestral portraits at auction*.

*which is totally untrue**

** added at the request of our legal team.

So much for my theory that it was a deliberate leak to test the waters. I'm always disappointed when politicians don't seem to have been as cunning as I had imagined :(

So much for my theory that it was a deliberate leak to test the waters. I'm always disappointed when politicians don't seem to have been as cunning as I had imagined :(

Well this is probably just the first attempt, or maybe a diversionary attempt. Or maybe just an attempt to discredit vince cable.

I'm not sure I can imagine any political act more hilariously passive-aggressive than commissioning a poll to see who else hates that other guy. :lol:

I'm not sure I can imagine any political act more hilariously passive-aggressive than commissioning a poll to see who else hates that other guy. :lol:

It was a pretty clumsy attempt. Almost stunningly inept, bit like me making a poll in the office to see if my co-workers hate my boss as much as me. So surely it must be a front for some pretty cunning scheme running in the background.

Archived