UK Politics - police blackmail edition

Maltaran

As we say in my own great nation (checks list to determine which great nation that is) if it does not smell it is not an armpit.

Though it does raise the question of why we are interested in the petty local disputes of this cold and god forsaken island attached to Europe like an orphaned spider monkey clinging to a dying tree.

In other news, Labour making some decent gains, especially in "educated, cultural" London, but with perhaps an underwhelming overall performance. The coalition forces have taken a bit of a beating.

I'd think that's the answer to the earlier question about the libdems. That's typical libdem voters, mainly going to labour. Meanwhile more tradition low education working class voters are leaving Labour for UKIP.

Listening to the party spokespeople doing the post mortems this morning, I'm ever more convinced that the Tories don't really understand what the problem is. They keep talking about learning lessons on how to explain their policies on Europe and immigration, when the actual root problem is that the traditional lower-middle class and southern working class Tory vote no longer believes that the party either understands, respects or works for them, in general. Which is a view I share.

With just under half the councils done, the BBC has UKIP cracking 100 seats. Meanwhile the Lib Dem massacre continues.

(Curiously, this hostility to the Lib Dems has translated over to the residual Liberal Party - the bunch who didn't want to join the SDP in the 1980s - since they've lost 2 out of 3 seats so far)

BNP held onto a seat. Bugger. :(

As things stand, both Labour and the Tories have had OK nights. Could have been worse, could have been better, though Labour's done very well in London. UKIP and the Greens have definitely had good nights. The Lib Dems are just dismal, albeit not quite apocalyptic.

The big quest is, do the Lim Dems Sack Nick now and hope they have enough time to turn things arround before the next election, ot do they wait and sack him after the general election (which may create differculties in making any deals with other parties if there is another hung parliment?

The big quest is, do the Lim Dems Sack Nick now and hope they have enough time to turn things arround before the next election, ot do they wait and sack him after the general election (which may create differculties in making any deals with other parties if there is another hung parliment?

I personally can't see how he can stay. Maybe they were hoping to get back to: 'I agree with Nick' form, but I just can't see it happening.

At this rate the voters seem very determined that he never work again.

Things are now looking better for Labour (and the Greens).

Greens are now the official opposition on Solihull.

In other news, Manchester council now has 95 Labour members and one independent.

I can't see him continuing his leadership after the next election unless things take a very suprising turn. but does any Lim Dem MP want his job right now? Politically it may be better for the individual to wait until after the election then you get less blame for anything that happens between now and then, thus standing a better chance of re-building the partys credibility from opposition?

As they've run out of things they and the Conservatives agree upon (amazing it took this long really,) now wouldn't be a bad time to start setting themselves apart. They'll surely have to do it before the election anyway, doing it now they can spin it like they're listening to voters.

As they've run out of things they and the Conservatives agree upon (amazing it took this long really,) now wouldn't be a bad time to start setting themselves apart. They'll surely have to do it before the election anyway, doing it now they can spin it like they're listening to voters.

And they might save themselves a few MP's.

Surely they have to do something.

I don't think there is anything they can do atm, most of the left electorate are so pissed off at them that they could be offering everyone a pot of gold and people would still think twice before accepting it.

Archived