Main Cast by Number of Episodes

Travy1991

^Good first post. My only critique is that Olenna did not appear in the trial, we haven't seen her since episode four when she presumably (if we trust what she says to Marge) left the capitol. There have been old lady extras in many scenes who dressed very similarly to her though.

Here is the screentime up to the last episode mockingbird. Thanks to youtube i was able to get the time up to the seconds, but i will just round off. The purple wedding is not included because it was very hard to do since everyone was there.but some did not have any lines, but i believe to be about 20 minutes. Tyrion trial is not included in the chart ( you can just add the time). I did it in three parts:

Tyrion trial=19:00 minutes

Trial 1st part= 8:21 m

Jaime and tywin= 3:00 m

Trial 2nd part= 7:39 m

1. Tywin= 23 minutes +pw and trial

2. Tyrion= 39 m +pw and trial

3. Jaime= 30 m +pw and trial

4. Bronn= 15 m

5. Oberyn= 27 m +pw and trial

6. Ellaria= 7 m

7. sansa= 30 m +pw

8. shae= 4 m +pw and trial

9. cersei= 32 m +pw and trial

10. Tormund= 5 m

11. Ygritte= 5 m

12. Jon= 27 m

13. Sam= 12 m

14. Gilly= 6 m

15. Lady Olenna= 7 m +pw

16. Marg= 11 m +pw and trial

17. brienne= 20 m +pw

18. joffery= 7 m +pw

19. Dany= 34 m

20. Arya= 28 m

21. Hound= 28 m

22. Ramsey= 14 m

23. Roose B.= 6 m

24. Theon= 15 m

25. Mel= 8 m

26. Stannis= 11 m

27. Davos= 10 m

28. Bran= 18 m

29. Asha= 5 m

30. White Walker= 3 m

This is not perfect , but we can get more or less an idea of the screentime. Sorry if I misspelled any names. I hope i did it right.

Excellent effort, thanks.

There are a few missing (Karl, Loras, Locke...) and of course purple wedding is quite tricky but would change this quite a bit. Joffrey had a fair bit in that episode.

The Mountain and the Viper Update:

• No big changes in order this week. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) still remain the actors/characters with the most number of episodes at 35 with Emilia Clarke (Daenerys), Maisie Williams (Arya), Iain Glen and Sophie Turner (Sansa) following behind...although I expect we'll be seeing less of Jorah now at least until next season.
  • Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) who were once Top 10 staples are now starting to slip out of this area with the still living characters now able to build up their episode counts.
  • As we're now wrapping up the season, it's interesting to see how few episodes some of our main cast are appearing in. Stannis, Melisandre, Davos, Bran, Theon, Ramsay, Bronn, Shae, Ygritte, Tormund, Gilly and Varys have all appeared in less than half the season so far with only four episodes or less. On top of that Tormund, Ygritte and Varys have had not spoken in their three or four episodes so far. It's a shame because Varys is one of my favourite characters and I was hoping to get more insight from the wildlings through Tormund (who I think is awesome in the show) and Ygritte (who I think is just lovely, mostly because of Rose Leslie).

You should add tallies for Roose, Yara, and Oberyn if you get a chance.

Hi Stormlandian, I was thinking of doing an episode count for all of our recurring characters too. That would make the front page of this post quite long but maybe it would be useful for a quick guide as to how many episodes each major and supporting character appears in. I'll add the recurring characters after Season 4 ends because I do update this page weekly with the main cast and adding the supporting cast now would just take too long.

Hi Stormlandian, I was thinking of doing an episode count for all of our recurring characters too. That would make the front page of this post quite long but maybe it would be useful for a quick guide as to how many episodes each major and supporting character appears in. I'll add the recurring characters after Season 4 ends because I do update this page weekly with the main cast and adding the supporting cast now would just take too long.

If you do this id recommend only sticking to important reccuring characters: EG;

Olenna

Roose

Selmy

Hodor

Ect. Ect.

I think that in Season 4: Episode 9 which is the Battle at the Wall, the series regulars will include:

Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Liam Cunningham as Davos, Stephen Dillane as Stannis, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, John Bradley as Sam, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Kristofer Hivju as Tormund, and Hannah Murray as Gilly.

Stannis, Melisandre, and Davos are heading for the wall so I assume they will be at the end of this episode. Gilly has to be reunited with Sam most likely because they showed her in the recap. Jon, Sam, Ygritte, and Tormund are obviously fighting in the battle so they are definitely confirmed to be in the credits.

For those saying screentime>># of episodes, in at least one instance the latter matters more.

At the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, you have to show up in most of the episodes that year to be nominated as part of the Ensemble.

So this year, assuming it gets nominated, 1st-time Ensemble noms for Podrick Payne, Grey Worm, Dolorous Edd. New actor nominated would be Oberyn.

Previously major characters in too few episodes to get their 1st nom are Hodor/Hot Pie/Osha who only qualified for the snubbed S2.

And...the only 2 current main cast members w/o an Ensemble nom: Stannis and Davos. Will next season possibly change that? Even the likes of Gilly/Giantsbane/Ramsay already got Ensemble noms...

The characters who have been eligible for all 4 seasons - Arya/Sansa/Jon, Dany/Jorah, Cersei/Tyrion
Eligible in each season since introduced - S2 Brienne, S3 Missandei. S4 has no one through next year, as the only prominent enough new character is already dead.

I think the show has a very good chance to win SAG Drama Ensemble this year, with Breaking Bad out of the way and True Detective less perceived as an ensemble show, so it's too bad that people like Isaac would miss out.

The Watchers on the Wall Update:

• So that had to be the smallest opening cast in the history of Game of Thrones. Just 5 series regulars appeared in this episode and one of them was killed. Goodbye Ygritte, you were a character with mixed reception but I always liked you, especially when played by Rose Leslie.
  • I enjoyed the episode overall and I was super excited about the special effects. Back around Season 2, I read this battle in the books and I thought they wouldn't have the budget to get the giants and mammoth in there. I was delighted.
  • I was disappointed by the lack of Stannis, Davos and Melisandre in this episode. I thought they would be a sure bet and a better ending to close the episode on over the anticlimactic decision Jon made in the end.
  • Also: more Ciarán Hinds! Boo, showrunners! Boo!

Predictions for cast appearances in the next episode (WARNING: Book Spoilers from here on...):

• Okay so based on the promo, synopsis and knowledge from the books; the main characters we can expect to see next episode are and their final episode counts are as follows:

Promos:

1. Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage - 36 episodes)
  2. Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey - 36 episodes)
  3. Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke - 33 episodes)
  4. Arya Stark (Maisie Williams - 33 episodes)
  5. Jon Snow (Kit Harrington - 32 episodes)
  6. Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - 28 episodes)
  7. Sandor Clegane (Rory McCann - 27 episodes)
  8. Bran Stark (Isaac Hempstead Wright - 25 episodes)
  9. Varys (Conleth Hill - 23 episodes)
  10. Tormund Giantsbane (Kristofer Hivju - 12 episodes)

Synopsis:

1. Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane - 16 episodes)
  2. Davos Seaworth (Liam Cunningham - 14 episodes)
  3. Melisandre (Carice Van Houten - 13 episodes)

Book Knowledge:

1. Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance - 26 episodes)
  2. Lady Stoneheart (Michelle Fairley - 26 episodes)
  3. Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie - 20 episodes)
  4. Shae (Sibel Kekilli - 20 episodes)

I expect that Margaery, Sam and Gilly will also appear in the next episode. I'm unsure on whether we will touch base on Sansa/Littlefinger and Ramsay/Reek again this season though. We're all pretty much Unsullied now when it comes to the Sansa storyline so who knows where that will go. I don't know if there's much material we can do with Theon either unless we catch up with the Greyjoys or Balon dies. I would like to see the Iron Islands storyline be set up in this season finale because they've botched it otherwise with Yara's silly three minute scene after two stirring speeches. I don't think we will see Jorah or Bronn until next season (unless they want to wrap up why Bronn said Shae got on the boat yet she apparently didn't).

Some predictions for next season :

• Going by the books and what's already happened in the show, we will have lost four season regulars through character deaths: Charles Dance (Tywin), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Jack Gleeson (Joffrey).
  • I think Conleth Hill (Varys) and Rory McCann (Sandor) will receive lower starring credits next season. I can't see Varys being in more than 2 episodes next season (unless they invent something for him) and Sandor might do a disappearing act or be dead altogether.
  • I imagine they will bring Joe Dempsie (Gendry) back in some way next season as a series regular.
  • I think Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) will receive an 'Also Starring' or 'Guest Starring' credit from this season onwards rather than appear in the opening credits.
  • My predictions for regular status next year: Barristan, Missandei, Daario, Doran, Yara (and assuming their cast)...Arianne, Quentyn, Griff and Victarion.

"So that had to be the smallest opening cast in the history of Game of Thrones. "

Previous record was 11.

"Arianne, Quentyn, Griff and Victarion."

I vote: yes Arianne, no Quentyn. Little enough (or no) Victarion to merit it. And...perhaps the same for Griff.

Some predictions for next season :

• Going by the books and what's already happened in the show, we will have lost four season regulars through character deaths: Charles Dance (Tywin), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Jack Gleeson (Joffrey).

I think Conleth Hill (Varys) and Rory McCann (Sandor) will receive lower starring credits next season. I can't see Varys being in more than 2 episodes next season (unless they invent something for him) and Sandor might do a disappearing act or be dead altogether.

I imagine they will bring Joe Dempsie (Gendry) back in some way next season as a series regular.

I think Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) will receive an 'Also Starring' or 'Guest Starring' credit from this season onwards rather than appear in the opening credits.

My predictions for regular status next year: Barristan, Missandei, Daario, Doran, Yara (and assuming their cast)...Arianne, Quentyn, Griff and Victarion.

I agree with you on Conleth Hill (Varys) and Rory McCann (Sandor) as they might also not be Series Regulars. I also think that Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) might be promoted to regular status for next season.That leaves 21 cast members from Season 4 returning as Series Regulars and if you re-add Joe Dempsie (Gendry) and the 8 others you mentioned that would be 31 Series Regulars if Roose Bolton is included. I also think that Victarion, Quentyn, and Griff will not be series regulars, which brings the number back down to 28, which is the same number as Season 3.

After Season 4, 22 series regulars are expected to return for Season 5 and Joe Dempsie (Gendry) has been confirmed to return as well bringing the number to 23. Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei) and Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis) are being promoted to series regulars in Season 5 bringing the number to 25. So I would say that Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) and Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) have a pretty good chance to be promoted to series regulars. If the show is aiming at 28 series regulars I would give the last spot to Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy) or one of the Martells, most likely Arianne if she is casted.

Archived