What's the deal with the Warlocks?

hollowcrown

What are the Warlocks working towards? They seem really weird and unusual and at odds with GRRM's usually quite grounded world - although the shadowbinders also stand out.

Whaat is their endgame and why did they want Dany in the House of the Undying, and what's their relationship with Euron...could he be a secret warlock?

They were hoping Dany would get lost in the HotU and they'd get to have her dragons.

I think they were able (through some magic) to go to Valyria and retrieve a dragon horn, which they were planning to use against Dany to steal her dragons. Unfortunately the ship they were on crossed path's with Euron's ship and they are now his "guests." I don't think he's a warlock exactly but he has been drinking Shade of the Evening so there's something there.

As Lady Blizzardborn said, Euron captured 4 of them before the events of AFFC. He also found shade of the evening on their ship and started drinking it. It seems likely that those 4 warlocks went to Valyria, found Dragonbinder, and were intercepted by Euron on their way to Slaver's Bay to take Dany's dragons. Euron seems to have gotten the idea to bind dragons to him from the warlocks. We don't know exactly what the warlocks said to him but they told him a "curious tale" and it was implied that he acted on what they told him.

As for what their goals are, they want Dany's dragons. And they want revenge for her destroying the Undying Ones. They likely want the dragons because they're essentially fire and magic made flesh. Beyond that, I have no idea. I'm not sure if the warlocks will ever directly play a role in the story beyond Euron's involvement.

They seem to have been a fading force and now magic is back they saw dany and her dragons as connected to it all so wanted her with them

...then she burnt their house down killing god knows how many of them

xaro xhoan seems to describe pyat pree gathering up whats left of them to deal with dany

Then we hear euron took a galley and captured 4 of them (the rest butchered in taking the galley?) and his unique method of making them fall in line when one threatens him

I think from his time in the east he knows who they are and is open minded about what they can do (if hes been to assahi etc he knows magic isnt fake) hes already dispatched a faceless man to kill balon so will take them along to see what they can help with (after of course he breaks them) his quest.

I dont think hes a secret warlock just due to the blue lips.... he describes siezing a cask of shade of the evening from their galley and given the kinda dude he is and the wild drink its described as its not suprising hed take to drinking the stuff.

They were hoping Dany would get lost in the HotU and they'd get to have her dragons.

I think they were able (through some magic) to go to Valyria and retrieve a dragon horn, which they were planning to use against Dany to steal her dragons. Unfortunately the ship they were on crossed path's with Euron's ship and they are now his "guests." I don't think he's a warlock exactly but he has been drinking Shade of the Evening so there's something there.

Yeah could be right about the horn

or could be euron already had it (like the egg he used to pay the faceless men) and they let him know what he had

or maybe he already had the horn and knew what it was from other sorcerers (assahi, firepriests , others further away etc) and just sees them as a potentialy useful asset on top of all that..............now that hes house trained them of course.

They most likely didn't get the horn from Valyria, but either had it with them for while before the Doom, or got it through trade after the Doom.

I agree that their ship was boarded by Euron, and Pyat Pree was the one fed to his compatriots, and their plan was for Dany to die, and take her dragons. They wer elikely going to look for her Pentos, and use the horn to steal her dragons.

There's a crackpot side to this theory: Euron claims that there were 4 warlocks and one got eaten, but what if he was never eaten? What if he is disguised as Euron? Obviously the tv show is not canon, but last season a warlock disguised as a little girl to attack Dany, and what gave her away were her blue lips. Could this mean that warlocks can do glamours as well?

Personally, I don't buy that theory because it would so needlessly convoluted. It's way simpler to believe that the warlocks were just tortured/questioned by Euron and that's how he found out about Dany's dragons.

They are the lamest villains ever is what they are. Instead of dealing with Dany in their city, be it they can just curse her, they wait till she leaves to start the trace. Not to mentions they sent infant like old people to steal a dragon.

There's a crackpot side to this theory: Euron claims that there were 4 warlocks and one got eaten, but what if he was never eaten? What if he is disguised as Euron? Obviously the tv show is not canon, but last season a warlock disguised as a little girl to attack Dany, and what gave her away were her blue lips. Could this mean that warlocks can do glamours as well?

Personally, I don't buy that theory because it would so needlessly convoluted. It's way simpler to believe that the warlocks were just tortured/questioned by Euron and that's how he found out about Dany's dragons.

I'm not sure any of the warlocks are still alive. Once Euron got the information he needed from them he would have no more use for them.

I'm not sure any of the warlocks are still alive. Once Euron got the information he needed from them he would have no more use for them.

They are mentioned in AFfC as being with Euron, who still has little expertise regarding magic.

They are mentioned in AFfC as being with Euron, who still has little expertise regarding magic.

Darn. There goes that idea.

They most likely didn't get the horn from Valyria, but either had it with them for while before the Doom, or got it through trade after the Doom.

Think they picked it up at a quaint antique shop in Volantis?

Think they picked it up at a quaint antique shop in Volantis?

With the dragons gone, such a horn would have been useless except as an ornament or antique, and it could have been picked up more cheaply.

They are the lamest villains ever is what they are. Instead of dealing with Dany in their city, be it they can just curse her, they wait till she leaves to start the trace. Not to mentions they sent infant like old people to steal a dragon.

To be fair we have no idea what thir actual powers are, they dont seem to command shadow assasins or anything useful like that

and we have no idea how much of their strength (numbers and magical powers) was destroyed when drogon bbqd their fortress.

nor do we have any idea how many where on that galley and what they were bringinging til they had the misforutne to run into eurons warship.

Archived