Lightbringer made of dragonglass?

Rhaquentis

I know of all the theories concerning the sword. This is (hopefully) a new take on the material.

So we know dragonglass is volcanic glass, and is often called "frozen fire". Taken from the wiki:

"Dragonglass weapons are one of the few weaknesses of the Others. An Other that is pierced by an obsidian blade dies almost instantaneously. Obsidian blades are sharper than steel but far more brittle. The Valyrians called obsidian frozen fire and made use of obsidian to make their glass candles The smallfolk like to say that dragonglass is made by dragons while Maesters say it comes from the fires of the earth. ."

Now, Lightbringer is thought to be a sword made of "living fire". It seems to me that the way AA forged it, it takes a blood magic ritual in order to be complete and "fiery". Could a sword be made out of dragonglass, which is frozen fire for now, and this sword to become Lightbringer with blood magic? Yay or nay?

IMO I think Lightbringer is actually a physical sword, but it being made of Dragonglass would be awesome but would probably be very brittle and wouldn't be very useful as a sword as it would a dagger, or arrowhead.

Could the brittle part kinda support the theory, as AA broke it twice before actually making it work the third time?

IMO I think Lightbringer is actually a physical sword, but it being made of Dragonglass would be awesome but would probably be very brittle and wouldn't be very useful as a sword as it would a dagger, or arrowhead.

I agree. Dragonglass doesn't seem strong enough to be very useful as a sword. I think it will either be a Valyrian steel sword or Dawn.

I like the idea!

And maybe the blood magic in stabbing his love made it less brittle and a better sword.

Completely agree. How could we speculate how this could play out in the story? Who could have the obsidian blade? Who would they kill? Marwin is on his way to Dany, he may be one of the few to posses this knowledge. Could Sam learn about it at the citadel?

I like the idea!

Completely agree. How could we speculate how this could play out in the story? Who could have the obsidian blade? Who would they kill? Marwin is on his way to Dany, he may be one of the few to posses this knowledge. Could Sam learn about it at the citadel?

On the "who would they kill?" subject, it depends on who AAR is

Stannis - Shireen

Jon - Ghost? Val?

Dany - Jorah? Daario?

It could be a thread of its own.

On the "who would they kill?" subject, it depends on who AAR is

Stannis - Shireen

Jon - Ghost? Val?

Dany - Jorah? Daario?

It could be a thread of its own.

I don't think any of those work because they aren't people that the character 'loves'. Stannis doesn't love Shireen, Jon doesn't love Ghost (he said that Ghost is more of a part of him than a friend) and he definitely doesn't love Val. Dany never loved Jorah, and Daario wasn't anything to her like Drogo was.

Of course, the question is- does Lightbringer (if it's an actual sword) need to be reforged the same way it was in the stories?

Great theory.

Never thought about it being Dragonglass before, mostly because of the consensus on the board that the Last Hero and Ahor Azai are the same person, and the tidbit of the Last Hero using a Dragonsteel sword on the Others, and the assumption that Dragonsteel is an early name for Valyrian steel. I wouldn't see them calling the Last Hero's sword Dragonsteel when they already had Dragonglass, so for this theory to be true, Ahor Azai and the Last Hero have to be separate individuals, or else the legends about the same person are contradictory.

a lit obsidian sword wouldn't need to be as strong as steel---not if it slid right through the Others like warm butter due to the way the two magic substances interact when they meet.

what if a glass candle takes one sacrificed life to light it up, and lightbringer takes a bunch of lives? (which is why the hero had to forge it a bunch of times.... each forging was a death?)

i like it, but i still hunger for the video game style reason for lightbringer: to shove it into some kind of darkness core, like a light key into a dark lock that when you combine them it unlocks the Spring. Can we get something like that? If it's just a weapon for killing Others, we've got obsidian for that.

The process used to create Lightbringer is forging and culminates in tempering the blade by quenching it rapidly.

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer.

Glass weapons are not forged. In fact, quenching glass causes a violent reaction and it shatters. Glass weapons are shaped cold by chipping away the brittle material.

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer.

I am sure people have talked about this before, but I have never noticed. Could "capture a lion" be referring to Tyrion of Jaime??

I don't think any of those work because they aren't people that the character 'loves'. Stannis doesn't love Shireen, Jon doesn't love Ghost (he said that Ghost is more of a part of him than a friend) and he definitely doesn't love Val. Dany never loved Jorah, and Daario wasn't anything to her like Drogo was.

Of course, the question is- does Lightbringer (if it's an actual sword) need to be reforged the same way it was in the stories?

Honestly i was sceptical myself when writing them, but considering they seem to be some of the more likely candidates for AAR i tried to think of someone they love

I am sure people have talked about this before, but I have never noticed. Could "capture a lion" be referring to Tyrion of Jaime??

There could be some form of symbolism there, but I think this was more to emphasize that the sacrifice had to be a human and not an animal.

I don't think swords can be made from dragonglass. By the way, I also don't think that Lightbringer was actually a sword.

But the glass candles ARE swords made of dragonglass. Sure they are "glass candle's", but then defacto they are also single pieces of dragonglass, sharp as razors and 3 feet long. So in all practicality they can act as obsidian swords for the objective of multislaying others. They even make light, seems usefull in a long night with color shifting others around.

Them glass candle's are 100's of years old, with other words they seem rather durable, while you think a blade like 1 feet piece of sharp obsidian to be otherwise rather fragile.

If you can make 3 feet long pieces of dragonglass that are rather thin, sharp like razors and durable to last century's, i'd think you can make an obsidian sword. heck, if you can put the light in there, you might even call it a lightbringer.

Could the brittle part kinda support the theory, as AA broke it twice before actually making it work the third time?

I like that.

Personally, i have toyed with the idea that the glass candle's at oldtown are actually shattered remnants of an earlier attempt to make Lightbringer.

Also, i have this sneaking suspicion that one of those glass candles will be rather effectivly used for pointyendysticking others at Oldtown by one called Sam the Slayer.

Archived