(Book Spoilers) Speculating on events at the wall

AzorAhai42

Eh. Saved some innocent Northerners from the grips of the savage Iron Born. No big deal.

Asha aint no savage though and I resent the claim that the Iron born are savage. Maybe a little harsh sure, but harsh lands breed harsh men.

Why I mean most people think Coldhands is Benjin and I wanna see Coldhands on his Elk. Maybe he can interact with Sam.

Coldhands is not going to interact with Sam who will be going south on a boat. He will also not interact with Bran and co who are already at the cave. Coldhands will 99.9% not be appearing in the show. Accept it.

If Stannis charge is shitty as expected next episode

1. Replace Russel Crowe with Stephen Dillane in your head

2. watch this vIdeo

http://vimeo.com/60335706#t=6m47s

You, Mister, made my day! :bowdown: Perfect!

If this is how it goes I'm very excited about the inside episode video, because that'll probably shed light on how they're going to handle Stan's season 5 stuff and I want to know their opinions about the scene in general. Also what were they on when they were doing the inside episode S4E02?

That's one of the things, I'm the most interested in! It will propably reveal some of the future of Show!Stannis / his adaption, I really want to hear their opinions...

Anyways plot mechanics next year will demand that Stan extricate himself from Mel so he can head south and she can sexy up the Wall. This in turn will make both of them more likeable.

The seperation will do the whole Team Dragonstone good: Davos gets his awesome Manderly storyline (maybe my favourite chapters in the entire series); Mel gets hilarious scenes with Jon (I just imagine Carice and Kit together as glorious hilarious pair :laugh: and it will hopefully make her intentions clearer) and Stannis shows autonomy and that he's the king who cares and does awesome stuff in The North, especially marching to Winterfell.

Alright. So as we knew and expected, that Kit interview has confirmed we'll open at the Wall. With yesterday's troll and thread-hijacker out of the way we can look at this all with clear eyes.

I reiterate my previous predictions. There will be more NW than just the probably rather-long opening scene of Jon getting captured by wildlings, treating with Mance and then Stan will dance with a lance in his pants. I am sure we'll see more Liam Cunningham and more Carice van Houten this episode because they need more screentime/credits. Since they had the IB funny business be Davos's idea, that confirms to me that we'll get the "cart before the horse" speech.

I wish so much, you're right... But I won't except too much, so I can't get disappointed :(

^My thumbnail pic implores that I cast doubt on any ideas of a simple Stannis victory there. Roose has many a trick up his sleeves and many a leech.

I love Roose, but I don't see how he's going to win this battle.

Asha aint no savage though and I resent the claim that the Iron born are savage. Maybe a little harsh sure, but harsh lands breed harsh men.

So the Iron Born are complex and nuanced but Stannis is a flat one dimensional villain? lol. Gotta love a good troll. Kudos man.

Is it impossible to like them all? :-( I love them all, Stannis and Roose and Asha and Theon are all in my Top 10. Why can't we all be friends? :grouphug:

So the Iron Born are complex and nuanced but Stannis is a flat one dimensional villain? lol. Gotta love a good troll. Kudos man.

i would love for you to quote the part when I called him a villain. Here's the problem with you Stans, you take the position if anybody disagrees with your characterization that Stannis isn't perfect as automatically assuming that I think he's flat, one-dimensional and evil. My perspective of Stannis as a character is that he's more interested in his claim to the IT than saving the realm. He uses going north strategically to win Northern lords to his cause due to the power vacuum in the north. He is ultimately becoming more pragmatic and a better leader. I don't think he's the hero YOU PEOPLE make him out to be but I don't think he's a villain either. But yeah if its easier for you to categorize that as me thinking he is a villain than by all means go ahead. I don't wanna pop your hero worship bubble.

Is it impossible to like them all? :-( I love them all, Stannis and Roose and Asha and Theon are all in my Top 10. Why can't we all be friends? :grouphug:

The greyjoys are not all bad actually the only ones I would describe as purely bad are euron and balon. Vic and theon are a mix of good and bad. Asha and aeron are generally good.

I quite like the Greyjoys as characters, actually. I think they're fairly intriguing. Doesn't mean the Iron Born didn't plunder the North, brutally raping and pillaging wherever they please though, which was my only point.

While I love Stannis' later ADWD storyline, the Jon and Mel stuff makes me gag and of course the show will sex it up and I'm going to need so. many. buckets. Then again I'm not really sure why the Jon and Stannis stuff is so popular. Sure there's lots of snark from Stannis but he could be snarking at anyone really. I guess my main problem is Jon is fine as a character, but wouldn't even make my top 40 in the series!

I quite like the Greyjoys as characters, actually. I think they're fairly intriguing. Doesn't mean the Iron Born didn't plunder the North, brutally raping and pillaging wherever they please though, which was my only point.

Undertstand and :agree:

i would love for you to quote the part when I called him a villain. Here's the problem with you Stans, you take the position if anybody disagrees with your characterization that Stannis isn't perfect as automatically assuming that I think he's flat, one-dimensional and evil. My perspective of Stannis as a character is that he's more interested in his claim to the IT than saving the realm. He uses going north strategically to win Northern lords to his cause due to the power vacuum in the north. He is ultimately becoming more pragmatic and a better leader. I don't think he's the hero YOU PEOPLE make him out to be but I don't think he's a villain either. But yeah if its easier for you to categorize that as me thinking he is a villain than by all means go ahead. I don't wanna pop your hero worship bubble.

Except that your previous posts reveal none of that. This is the first thing I've seen you post that isn't antagonistic drivel, so kudos. Hell, you even argued that Stannis did absolutely nothing positive for the Night's Watch and was merely a burden, which doesn't really match up to the quotes we get from Jon Snow and Sam. I'd be curious as to where I ever argued Stannis was perfect, since I actually take a lot of issue with how this board's deification of the character presents us with a figure that is somewhat disingenous to the source material, but whatever. At least regarding Stannis going to the Wall, George confirmed in an interview that he went there because he realizes the threat the Others pose to the realm, which proves that he is a "righteous man", inspite some of the morally questionable decisions he's made throughout the series. I think that it's hard to say what Stannis cares about more to be honest with you, winning the Iron Throne or saving the realm. The novels render him as a fairly complex individual, but I think the fact that this notion of saving the realm is reinforced by POVs that are not entirely friendly to Stannis or his interests is worth considering. My issue with the show's adaptation is not that he isn't being rendered as some immaculate action hero, but rather that none of his virtuous qualities ever seem to shine through at all. In fact, I'd say in the show, he is largely a one dimensional villain and or puppet of Melisandre, and not the cold, morally conflicted soldier that he is in the books. The decision to rob him of his nuance is, I hope, to make his arrival at the Wall more surprising, and to make his character development in aDwD more emotional, but I'm ready to be disappointed.

Archived