Where would you build your Stronghold?

Olligarchy

Rebuild Oldstones => Profit!

Enemies have to climb a hall, slowly trudging through mud while they're turned into cushion pins from the sheer amount of arrows loosed. The ram and the siege towers also have to go uphill, likely they'll fall over or get burned.

+River nearby

+Access to the coast

+Central location in Westeros.

The mountains where the clansmen are stationed.

Start mining, also would be located north of Deepwood Motte.

Would also clear the land, and advocate going north to drive the mammoth heards south.

With the incomes generated by the ore of the resource rich mountains, plus the selling of the expensive but delicious northern delicacy of iced cream via mammoth milk, the wealth would be enormous.

I'd store the ice cream using huge chunks of solid block ice, and pay for spices to be shipped from the east. Chocolate ice cream would rake it in.

I'd invest the money into the market at Deepwood Motte and Barrowton, selling mammoth milk in the former and ice cream in the latter, as well as any ore or gems mined.

Maybe after a time, both wooden settlements can be rebuilt but with stone.

With news of such rapid development spurring southrons north, my mining and mammoth domestication workforce swells.

My coffers overflow.

Course, the evolution of Deepwood from a motte to a true fortress, and the growth of Barrowton to Barrowden, second city of the north would incite a rivalry between the Dustins and Manderlys....

At least until i negotiate with Wyman a deal for White Harbor to be my export base for ice cream to the free cities.

Whereas Barrowden would be the launchpad for my exports to the south.

On the best northern port of the Summer Islands, where no one of comparable power exists to fight me. I'd make it a trading post, and I'd just eat tropical fruit and swim and relax and let Westeros deal with all the crazy shit.

At the Fork of the White Knife. About halfway between Winterfell and White Harbor.

It is a little south of a direct line between Hornwood and Torrhen's Square. Making my castle White Cross, the middle point of a cross made by Winterfell, Hornwood, White Harbor and Torrhen's Square.

Not far off from the King's road and in the valley between Sheepshead Hills and the Barrowlands. With Direct river access to White Harbor.

If I had the resources and manpower I would choose Bloodstone.

A trading hub and safe haven go between from Westeros and Essos. Many merchants and insurance brokers would favor sending their wares to my ports for a slightly lesser profit than shipping them the whole way. I would use that income to provide the power needed control all of the stepstones. A mighty fleet. Once they were all fully in my control, my descendants would eventually become beyond wealthy.

Very simple for me. Fortify / rebuilt Moat Cailin as there is no ruling house there as of now there. Norhern approach to be specially stregnthened as its vulnerable right now.

Second option somewhere North of Flints Finger in Cape Craken on shores of Blazewater Bay with a strong Naval base to create a choke point to keep the IB in check from invading Northern Mainland.

Rebuild Moat Calilin, with fortifications on BOTH sides, then make a deal with the craggonmen, and use their knowledge of the swamps to excavate a port, while moving the bogs to the mouth of the White Knife, effectively ruining the Manderlys. With their city and line now bankrupt, I will give land to all those who lived in White Harbor, becoming the Northern Power. I would then proceed to kill the freys as a part of my alliance with the craggonmen, giving the lands of the Frey's to someone who would have permanent loyalty to me. I would then place a law that all criminals go to the NW (unless they commited homocide){execution}. Find some children of the forest, and have them help grow a godswood in good time. From there proceed to build a fleet to rival the Ironborn's, and take the islands, killing all. Place a city on pyke, a real one, and station your fleet there. Proceed to become the police of the seas for a fee. and become the dominant naval power of the world. (old proverb; He who controls the sea, has control of everything)

The mouth of the River that goes into the Reach (the one Highgarden's on), I'd control most of the trade into the Reach, and even a bit into the Stormlands, Westerlands, and a bit of the Crownlands!

Archived