[BOOK SPOILERS] Oberyn appreciation...you are my champion.

timstanton

What actually occurs in ASoS affected me as badly as the Red Wedding, so I'll make the most of things for the next few episodes. That scene between Oberyn and Tyrion so far has been the most stirring and poignant moment in the whole series. I was really, really hoping they wouldn't bungle either the casting or direction they took with Oberyn, but they've done a perfect job in both areas, concerning one of my top 5 favourite characters in the books.

Yes, I agree. I LOVED Oberyn. It's amazing how quickly he descended from new character to one of my absolute favorites. And the scene was epic. Oberyn's talk of baby Tyrion, and PD's genius acting... people kept talking about Only Cat and how it would be the absolute highlight of the season, but I loved this one a lot more- it got me to almost cry for Tyrion and then it got me grinning like an idiot. Oberyn's such a great character. Shame he'll die soon.

Yes, I agree. I LOVED Oberyn. It's amazing how quickly he descended from new character to one of my absolute favorites. And the scene was epic. Oberyn's talk of baby Tyrion, and PD's genius acting... people kept talking about Only Cat and how it would be the absolute highlight of the season, but I loved this one a lot more- it got me to almost cry for Tyrion and then it got me grinning like an idiot. Oberyn's such a great character. Shame he'll die soon.

I purposely did not re-watch the scene from my initial impression when it aired - but HBO has been posting the best clips from the episodes and so again I watched and again it brought me to tears - the play of emotions between Oberyn and Tyrion are done so superbly by Pedro and Peter - it's hard not to feel that emotion and swell of hope Tyrion feels at the end even knowing the outcome.

Here's the recap / clip from HBO's youtube channel if anyone else wants to savor that powerful scene again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4eH46P-SoU

I purposely did not re-watch the scene from my initial impression when it aired - but HBO has been posting the best clips from the episodes and so again I watched and again it brought me to tears - the play of emotions between Oberyn and Tyrion are done so superbly by Pedro and Peter - it's hard not to feel that emotion and swell of hope Tyrion feels at the end even knowing the outcome.

Here's the recap / clip from HBO's youtube channel if anyone else wants to savor that powerful scene again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4eH46P-SoU

Watched it again during the replay oft he episode last night. Hard not to "fuck yeah" when he says he will be Tyrion's champion.

Maybe they'll change the outcome of the trial and Oberyn decides to stand just a little bit away from Gregor when he's broken on the floor. There's a change I'd fully support.

There's no way they'll change that. It's the catalyst for major changes to the status quo and it's critical to Tyrion's story arc.

Oberyn has been painted too much a sex addict so far by the show, they did not show enough of the vengeful experienced dangerous warrior, the Red Viper, they did not show his wits, his humour, his empathy....but this scene made up for all of it!

I already been close to tears after the duell when reading the books, but now I been already close to tears after that scene, it was heartbreaking!

First he gave Tyrion the last blow, making him feel with his story that absolutely noone ever wanted him to survive and live, really no hope left....and then the wonder: I will be your Champion!!!

Oberyn has been painted too much a sex addict so far by the show, they did not show enough of the vengeful experienced dangerous warrior, the Red Viper, they did not show his wits, his humour, his empathy....but this scene made up for all of it!

I already been close to tears after the duell when reading the books, but now I been already close to tears after that scene, it was heartbreaking!

First he gave Tyrion the last blow, making him feel with his story that absolutely noone ever wanted him to survive and live, really no hope left....and then the wonder: I will be your Champion!!!

It may sound strange but I think the fact the show didn't really establish Oberyn as such a great warrior - I think only Cersei mentioned that in their scene in previous ep - will make the shock bigger for non book readers. They probably think 'oh well he is definitely gonna win and that;s gonna be a surprise since they showed Mountain as unbeatable". And then BAM.

It may sound strange but I think the fact the show didn't really establish Oberyn as such a great warrior - I think only Cersei mentioned that in their scene in previous ep - will make the shock bigger for non book readers. They probably think 'oh well he is definitely gonna win and that;s gonna be a surprise since they showed Mountain as unbeatable". And then BAM.

Take a look at the poll: http://www.tv.com/shows/game-of-thrones/community/post/game-of-thrones-season-4-episode-7-mockingbird-review-140028098961/

Oh crap. I'm gonna be nursing my Unsullied female friends back to sanity after that ep.

My unsullied friend also thinks Oberyn is going to win. He even sees Gregor as some random fighter that is going to be killed like Dario killed Meereen's champion, although perhaps in a slower way. If something, then they failed to reintroduce the Mountain as the real killer he is, because Oberyn is perfect.

i agree, this scene totally made up for all that was lacking in the Only Cat scene....i cant rmr too well, but that story about Tyrion/Cesei/Oberyn when they were kids, in the books wasnt that when Oberyn first met Tyrion? I felt it was so i was kinda bummed they cut it out...but Oberyn's delivery and Tyrions reaction were just epic...Peter D. is reallllllly gunning for that award this season :bowdown:

Oh crap. I'm gonna be nursing my Unsullied female friends back to sanity after that ep.

lol! that poll was amazing,

i've been feeling particularly cruel this week...so i'm telling all my unsullied friends about how he's known as the Red Viper, spent 5 yrs in Essos, one of the best fighters in the 7 kingdoms....and about how Tyrion and Oberyn make a perfect team and how gona team up and take down Tywin :devil:

lol! that poll was amazing,

i've been feeling particularly cruel this week...so i'm telling all my unsullied friends about how he's known as the Red Viper, spent 5 yrs in Essos, one of the best fighters in the 7 kingdoms....and about how Tyrion and Oberyn make a perfect team and how gona team up and take down Tywin :devil:

I keep trolling Unsullied this entire season - Oberyn is a master with a spear!, 'well he has to win otherwise Tyrion DIES!', Stannis is totally going to KL, oh look Arya and Brienne are going to Eyrie and Sansa is there etc.

I'm going to hell.

:lmao:

i did the same for Stannis going to KL :cheers:

I just really want people to be surprised and respect him (finally!) when he arrives. I'm the only one going 'ohhh Stannis' whenever he is on screen. I hope people care enough about Jon and Sam to be grateful when his big scene happens and he saves them. And they will hopefully be uplifted since there might be RW kind of depression after ep. 8. People seriously love Oberyn.

I just really want people to be surprised and respect him (finally!) when he arrives. I'm the only one going 'ohhh Stannis' whenever he is on screen. I hope people care enough about Jon and Sam to be grateful when his big scene happens and he saves them. And they will hopefully be uplifted since there might be RW kind of depression after ep. 8. People seriously love Oberyn.

definitely, he's the fastest growing favorite character after Tyrion in S1 from what i've seen with my unsullied friends...

my unsullied brother guessed almost right away after the first or second ep that Oberyn would die...his comment was "man im really starting to like this guy...guess he's gona die next"...and he knows Tyrion makes it to book 5....so now i keep filling his head with all the possibilities of Tyrion/Oberyn teaming up ;)

I keep trolling Unsullied this entire season - Oberyn is a master with a spear!, 'well he has to win otherwise Tyrion DIES!', Stannis is totally going to KL, oh look Arya and Brienne are going to Eyrie and Sansa is there etc.

I'm going to hell.

I've been telling me unsullied girlfriend this entire season how good Oberyn is and how him and Tyrion could take down the Lannisters ;)

There's no way they'll change that. It's the catalyst for major changes to the status quo and it's critical to Tyrion's story arc.

Come on, if you've learned anything from watching the show (or any adaptation from book to screen) you'll know that *anything* can be changed. Besides, whatever this duel's importance to the overall story is can be accomplished by other means. This is a fantasy world we're talking about with a huge cast of characters and plenty of wiggle room; If the writers think there's a better way they have lots to work with.

Having said that, I do agree that the duel will probably go down mostly like in the books. Sadly, because of the peculiar fascination and devotion to this scene, no matter how it goes down I'm sure plenty of readers will feel unfulfilled or outright disappointed (e.g. the choreography of the fight, if Gregor is too ... robotic, if Oberyn's sword skills are lacking, etc. etc.).

One thing I am pretty sure of is, they will alter the ending to the fight. That would be very hard to film in a way that exhibits the pure brutality yet realistic. CGI can only do so much :) .. and yet another reason for readers to complain.

Archived