How did Dany's eggs hatch

TheOldWolf

Don't hate me, I know this is fantasy and manic plays a role. But is there a logical explanation for how the eggs hatched?

Like is it known that the eggs can be hatched by placing them in fire along with a sacrifice?

The Dragon Lords of ancient Valyria hatched eggs and apparently at the same time bonded those dragons with their families. Each of the 40 Dragonlord families had separate dragons, they did not share dragons. Many Westeros Targaryens tried to duplicate this process with their own eggs several thousands of years later (like Summerhall) All of the attempts failed, and basically led to firey deaths of the Targaryens trying. Dany inherently figures out exactly what to do to hatch the eggs on her own. Maybe she was channeling her ancestors. It is not really known how she knew to do what she did, when other members of her family could not figure it out. There is definitely a sense of destiny and magic about Dany that sets her apart from many members of the Targaryen family.

Whatever she did was completely incredible, the eggs she had were fossilized and eons old. Not from the same line of Targaryen Eggs which came from the line of dragons Aegon brought with him from Valyria.

But to answer your question, The answer the book gives during Dany's chapter in GOT when she realizes the eggs need fire to hatch is that she 'inherently knew' what to do. NO one told her, she just knew.

I believe that her eggs hatched due to the returning magic in the land. If Daenarys had tried the same thing a year prior, she'd have burned alive and the eggs would not have hatched. Perhaps the human sacrifice was some form of spell component needed to hatch the dragons, but people have been trying ever since the dragons died out. I find it incredibly hard to believe nobody had tried fire and a sacrifice in 300 years.

So my answer is luck. Luck hatched her dragons.

The Dragon Lords of ancient Valyria hatched eggs and apparently at the same time bonded those dragons with their families. Each of the 40 Dragonlord families had separate dragons, they did not share dragons. Many Westeros Targaryens tried to duplicate this process with their own eggs several thousands of years later (like Summerhall) All of the attempts failed, and basically led to firey deaths of the Targaryens trying. Dany inherently figures out exactly what to do to hatch the eggs on her own. Maybe she was channeling her ancestors. It is not really known how she knew to do what she did, when other members of her family could not figure it out. There is definitely a sense of destiny and magic about Dany that sets her apart from many members of the Targaryen family.

Just to clarify as far as we know there was no special ceremony involved in hatching dragon eggs back in old Valyria. At least the Targaryen dragons born in Westeros just seem to hatch on their own without the need for fire or anything. It was only after they stopped hatching about 150 years ago that Targaryens started trying to hatch them though magical ceremonies and stuff.

the eggs she had were fossilized and eons old. Not from the same line of Targaryen Eggs which came from the line of dragons Aegon brought with him from Valyria.

We've had this debate already in another thread, but we really don't know that for that they were fossilized or not Targaryen eggs.

Just to clarify as far as we know there was no special ceremony involved in hatching dragon eggs back in old Valyria. At least the Targaryen dragons born in Westeros just seem to hatch on their own without the need for fire or anything. It was only after they stopped hatching about 150 years ago that Targaryens started trying to hatch them though magical ceremonies and stuff.

We've had this debate already in another thread, but we really don't know that for that they were fossilized or not Targaryen eggs.

Yes and as I said before, based on the textual evidence, the eggs are eons old.

This is GRRM's take on how the eggs were hatched:

The whole point of the scene in A Game of Thrones where Daenerys hatches the dragons is that she makes the magic up as she goes along; she is someone who really might do anything. I wanted magic to be something barely under control and half instinctive--not the John W. Campbell version with magic as the science and technology of other sorts of world, that works by simple and understandable rules.

There is also a good analysis by PatrickStormborn in the Daenerys ReRead

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102021-daenerys-stormborn-a-re-read-project-part-i-agot/?p=5526355

In a nutshell Dany did it by instinct.

This is GRRM's take on how the eggs were hatched:

There is also a good analysis by PatrickStormborn in the Daenerys ReRead

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102021-daenerys-stormborn-a-re-read-project-part-i-agot/?p=5526355

In a nutshell Dany did it by instinct.

:cheers: That's exactly what I said.

Don't hate me, I know this is fantasy and manic plays a role. But is there a logical explanation for how the eggs hatched?

Like is it known that the eggs can be hatched by placing them in fire along with a sacrifice?

I think to understand how the eggs hatched you need to understand the symbolic story of Lightbringer. I believe Lightbringer is the name of the first dragon that was born out of blood sacrifice. Not any sacrifice will do though. The blood magic requires whoever is doing the ceremony to sacrifice the thing they love most in the world or it won't work. As you can tell, not a task for the faint-hearted.

"They had been born from her faith and her need, given life by the deaths of her husband and unborn son and the maegi Mirri Maz Duur" Dany's thoughts.

Husband and son were the things Dany loved most. The maegi's blood added some extra oomph to the magic..

Only death can pay for life. Three deaths- Mirri Maz Duur, Khal Drogo, and Rhaego. Three lives were made as the dragons hatched.

Rhaego was already dead when the fire was lit, but I would argue that his soul lived on in Drogo's zombie body, because it brought him back to life. Think of Drogo as two lives for the price of one.

I think to understand how the eggs hatched you need to understand the symbolic story of Lightbringer. I believe Lightbringer is the name of the first dragon that was born out of blood sacrifice. Not any sacrifice will do though. The blood magic requires whoever is doing the ceremony to sacrifice the thing they love most in the world or it won't work. As you can tell, not a task for the faint-hearted.

"They had been born from her faith and her need, given life by the deaths of her husband and unborn son and the maegi Mirri Maz Duur" Dany's thoughts.

Husband and son were the things Dany loved most. The maegi's blood added some extra oomph to the magic..

That's been my understanding of how they hatched as well.

Whatever she did was completely incredible, the eggs she had were fossilized and eons old. Not from the same line of Targaryen Eggs which came from the line of dragons Aegon brought with him from Valyria.

But to answer your question, The answer the book gives during Dany's chapter in GOT when she realizes the eggs need fire to hatch is that she 'inherently knew' what to do. NO one told her, she just knew.

The early Targaryens of Westeros knew how to do it too. It is only after they starting marrying into non-Valyrian houses that then lost the ability. Dany may have been able to do it because her parents were brother and sister. I don't think someone who was half-Targaryen or less could do it. So, for example, Daemon Blackfyre might have had the genes (both parents were Targaryens) but Baelor Breakspear would not. Or, Rhaegar could do it, but his dauguther Rhaenys (non-Targaryen mother, no golden hair or purple eyes) could not.

The early Targaryens of Westeros knew how to do it too. It is only after they starting marrying into non-Valyrian houses that then lost the ability. Dany may have been able to do it because her parents were brother and sister. I don't think someone who was half-Targaryen or less could do it. So, for example, Daemon Blackfyre might have had the genes (both parents were Targaryens) but Baelor Breakspear would not. Or, Rhaegar could do it, but his dauguther Rhaenys (non-Targaryen mother, no golden hair or purple eyes) could not.

i find this likely to,

but magic did not die whit the dragons, nor does is come from dragons.

mmd does magic before they are born, so does mel.

the others en Cotf where using magic 3000 years before the first dragons were born.

What I meant was is there an explanation for how they hatched even though they were turned to stone which means the drags inside were probably dead, and once again I know it's magic and fantasy and I love it I'm just wondering if there is a logical explanation

Remember how Harry Potter's grandpa wizard put a protection spell on something so that you couldn't find the thing if you were looking for it or intended to use it or something like that?

Lots of Targs have tried to hatch 'em, but they didn't hit upon the right recipe, and I'm thinking they didn't have the right vibe, whereas Daenerys just backed into the right technique by "chance", which makes me think she had the knack for it because she's a "true dragon" or whatever the Targs call themselves when their nature is most in tune with that of the dragons-----enough that the dragons respond to that Targ like there's a kind of kinship they recongnize, one fiery soul to another.

Yes I know, I didnt mean to suggest no eggs have hatched since then, but Dany was the first to hatch fossilized eggs. And it is my opinion that she did it in the same way the Dragonlords originally bonded eggs to their specific families.

What I meant was is there an explanation for how they hatched even though they were turned to stone which means the drags inside were probably dead, and once again I know it's magic and fantasy and I love it I'm just wondering if there is a logical explanation

Yes the fossil thing is unique to Dany's situation. She is the only person who has ever done anything like that as far as we know. There is no definitive answer for you sorry, many of us wonder the exact same thing and cannot wait for the next books to find out :)

Yes the fossil thing is unique to Dany's situation. She is the only person who has ever done anything like that as far as we know. There is no definitive answer for you sorry, many of us wonder the exact same thing and cannot wait for the next books to find out :)

do we only have iliryo's word to believe the are fossilized, how do we know all dragoneggs don't look like stone ? ( to normal ppl)

do we only have iliryo's word to believe the are fossilized, how do we know all dragoneggs don't look like stone ? ( to normal ppl)

Cause when they were alive they started feeling warm, considering dragon's are hot species it would make sense for their eggs to be warm when in a viable state.

It does not seem likely that there is some kind of formula for hatching very old dragon eggs. In ASoIaF, magic is not a sort of alternate science. GRRM has made that clear.

I think it's plausible to maintain that Dany hatched the eggs in the same way that Arthur pulled the sword from the stone. She was the one meant to do this thing. There are differences. Probably the time had to be right. Also it appears that blood magic was necessary--only death pays for life. Of course, this doesn't mean that blood magic was always required for a dragon birth. Most likely, the pyre event was an extremely rare, possibly singular, occurrence. The eggs in this case were fossils.

As things stand, there is no way to be sure that Dany's eggs came from the Shadowlands and are millions of years old. The evidence available, however, indicates this. I see no reason for Illyrio to lie. I think he is pretty reliable on matters of fact (but I wouldn't trust him if he swore that he was my friend for life.) Finally, he'd be more likely to part with fossils than with eggs that might prove viable, even if he saw only a small chance of viability. There are still people around who think they could bring forth dragons from Targaryen eggs.

Archived