Season Five Casting

Skywarpgold

I used to think they might just let the marriage of Cersei and Loras proceed, since it would not really have any tangible effects on the story, but now that they have delayed the Tyrell marriages so long, and explicitly scheduled Cersei's after her son's, it looks like Cersei will just be able cancel it.

That would have quite a large effect on the story, namely that they'd have to deal with the whole marriage consummation thing and they'd presumably need to include a fair amount of Loras/Cersei interactions.

Mace has been blatantly disrespected and outright ignored by everybody he's interacted with so far, so I doubt he's suddenly going to turn into a heavy that Cersei would think twice about defying to his face.

Appointing Loras to the Kingsguard simply violates the show's own internal logic, because while he may not care to marry (though he seemed quite fine with marrying Sansa last year), I don't believe he would ever want to blatantly screw over his own house by bringing an end to it.

It wouldn't exactly be bringing an end to it. There are plenty of Tyrell cousins in the books which probably exist implicitly in the show.

That would have quite a large effect on the story, namely that they'd have to deal with the whole marriage consummation thing and they'd presumably need to include a fair amount of Loras/Cersei interactions.

It wouldn't exactly be bringing an end to it. There are plenty of Tyrell cousins in the books which probably exist implicitly in the show.

Also marrying sweet Sansa (and gaining an extra asset for the house not already guaranteed through Marge) is a bit different to marrying Cersei, whose suspected lover is known to be hot-headed and in a position of authority and a known killer, and whose last unhappy marriage ended with the death of her husband...

Not really, they would just have to have the two be antagonistic towards each other for a few episodes before Cersei sends Loras to Dragonstone hoping to get him killed.

I think that people are exaggerating the probable importance and screentime of the Sand Snakes in season 5. I think they will be pretty minor that season (basically, replacing Arianne's co-conspirators and getting to bitch about Doran plus that fight scene for Obara) and their important roles will only start in season 6 (just as they seem to be set up to start in TWOW). The only main character from Dorne is Arianne, arguably Doran. Whoever is cast as Arianne will probably be in the main credits. Doran may be a guest star.

I totally agree. All the other Dorne characters really just need to be there to support Arianne and Doran. They don't need to have their own storylines (yet).

I totally agree. All the other Dorne characters really just need to be there to support Arianne and Doran. They don't need to have their own storylines (yet).

Storylines no, but screen time? Yes. I mean imagine the criticisms D+D introducing three indistinguishable hot women who are probably always getting naked. They each need enough screen time to be distinct from one another so I think as well as being supporting Arianne/Doran they'll each get a scene to show off their particular talents.

Also marrying sweet Sansa (and gaining an extra asset for the house not already guaranteed through Marge) is a bit different to marrying Cersei, whose suspected lover is known to be hot-headed and in a position of authority and a known killer, and whose last unhappy marriage ended with the death of her husband...

Not even just that. Sansa was the key to The North, and would have been delighted with the hospitality of Highgarden. A marriage between them means their children could inherit Winterfell and Highgarden.

The Tyrells likely believe the whispers that Jaime is the father of Cersei's children. Renly seemed scornful of the suggestion in the books, but Loras' digs at Jaime in the show suggest he believes them. (I honestly can't remember of the top of my head if show Renly believed Stannis' and Arryn's theory.) In short, every Tyrell but Mace would be wary of the possibility that any children born of the union might actually be Jaime's.

Loras happily joining the KG makes no sense though, not unless there's a retcon with Garlan suddenly existing as Loras' younger brother, or a younger, crippled Willas. Sure, there might be other Tyrell branches out there, but Loras joining the KG means that either his father's line loses The Reach, or Margaery's children inherit it - and then House Tyrell loses it. (Unless any such children agree to take on their mother's family name upon inheriting.)

Storylines no, but screen time? Yes. I mean imagine the criticisms D+D introducing three indistinguishable hot women who are probably always getting naked. They each need enough screen time to be distinct from one another so I think as well as being supporting Arianne/Doran they'll each get a scene to show off their particular talents.

They won't be indistinguishable. Do you find them indistinguishable in the book where they each only have two scenes? They have distinct looks and distinct personalities. And that comes through much more quickly and easily on screen when you have actual flesh-and-blood humans playing them.

They won't be indistinguishable. Do you find them indistinguishable in the book where they each only have two scenes? They have distinct looks and distinct personalities. And that comes through much more quickly and easily on screen when you have actual flesh-and-blood humans playing them.

I think the opposite. In the books you have Arianne's internal monologue to give us information about them. If there was no internal monologue I wouldn't care one bit for the differences between the Sandsnakes, and people already accuse them of being un-distinct. It's easier to miss things in a visual medium and casual viewers have trouble keeping track of characters as it is.

I think Jaime is more likely to replace Balon Swann than anyone. Obara is probably planning to kill Swann after, or instead of, Darkstar so if they replace Swann with a regular character then that would be her big fight scene.

Where do you see the fight taking place?

Yes, but those cousins wouldn't be the rulers of Highgarden (or anything), and House Tyrell would cease to be a power in the land in its own right.

Yes, but those cousins wouldn't be the rulers of Highgarden (or anything), and House Tyrell would cease to be a power in the land in its own right.

Why not? If there are no direct heirs left a cousin inherits and the house continues as normal.

Why not? If there are no direct heirs left a cousin inherits and the house continues as normal.

There are direct heirs left: Margaery, and then her children by Tommen (when born). Tywin and Olenna acknowledged as much; that's the whole reason Tywin was able to force them to agree to the Cersei betrothal in the first place, to stop Highgarden from passing to House "Baratheon".

There are direct heirs left: Margaery, and then her children by Tommen (when born). Tywin and Olenna acknowledged as much; that's the whole reason Tywin was able to force them to agree to the Cersei betrothal in the first place, to stop Highgarden from passing to House "Baratheon".

Pretty sure that cousins come before children through the female line.

Pretty sure that cousins come before children through the female line.

No, they don't. A man's sons, then a man's daughters, then his brothers (and their sons and daughters) and sisters (and their sons and daughters). Tywin and Olenna make this an explicit point in dialogue; I'm not sure why you think it would be otherwise.

There was a big discussion on this ion some other thread. Basically it's malleable and depends on who swings the biggest d***. It was the same in medieval Europe too. Nothing is set in stone, but it's more convention, ultimately though, it's down to power and weight of history.

There was a big discussion on this ion some other thread. Basically it's malleable and depends on who swings the biggest d***. It was the same in medieval Europe too. Nothing is set in stone, but it's more convention, ultimately though, it's down to power and weight of history.

This, so technically if they really wanted the Tyrells could name a cousin heir to High Garden if they wanted. To be honest though this whole change is rather messy and stupid. It serves no point aside from a bit of drama.

Archived