Season Five Casting

Skywarpgold

On that note, though, I reluctantly share a troubling observation that I found on tumblr today: When Oberyn was telling Tyrion the story of meeting him as a baby on the show, he said that he came on a visit with his "lord father." In the book it was his mother who was ruler of Dorne.

Now, it doesn't necessarily mean they're cutting Arianne; perhaps it just means that they're waiting for next season to explain the whole absolute primogeniture thing and they didn't want to confuse people in the meantime. But it's still an infuriatingly unnecessary and sexist change.

I think that's what it's about. They don't want to confuse people now and want to have a moment next season when Doran says something like: "my son, Trystane... and my eldest daughter and heir, Arianne" or they reveal the Dornish absolute primogeniture rule as a "vow" moment.

It makes no sense at all to cut Arianne and make Dorne a place without the absolute primogeniture, unless they're specifically targeting a sexist, conservative demographic who thinks women should not be allowed to have the same legal rights as men. I don't think there's anyone who actually believes that.

Just got me thinking when they said Obara fights a season 5 regular who says she cant fight Arianne, perhaps Arianne becomes a season regular in season 5. They never say the fight includes death or how serious the fight is. Its just I thought. Im pretty sure we will get all the new big characters for season 5 fAegon, JonCon, Euron, and Arianne

I think they will make Ellaria bring Oberyn's bones back to Dorne, which will give us the introduction of Dorne to the unsullied, and then they will show Myrcella coup, and Doran's preventing them doing something stupid

Nah, they'll probably use something more subtle like calling her "Princess Arianne, heir of Dorne" at least twice an episode

Still not as often as the Greatjon screamed "King in the North" in the books.

Nah, they'll probably use something more subtle like calling her "Princess Arianne, heir of Dorne" at least twice an episode

Maybe she will be Princess of the Rhoynar, since they are seemingly not ruled over by Dany, Stannis or Tommen at present :p

(or they don't exist in the show, but that's less fun)

Just got me thinking when they said Obara fights a season 5 regular who says she cant fight Arianne, perhaps Arianne becomes a season regular in season 5. They never say the fight includes death or how serious the fight is. Its just I thought. Im pretty sure we will get all the new big characters for season 5 fAegon, JonCon, Euron, and Arianne

I think they will make Ellaria bring Oberyn's bones back to Dorne, which will give us the introduction of Dorne to the unsullied, and then they will show Myrcella coup, and Doran's preventing them doing something stupid

I think the assumption is that it's a physical fight, so it would need to be someone with martial prowess. There aren't any characters in Dorne who fit that role (Areo is presumably too minor to be a series regular). Plus I'm not sure about the exact definition of series regular, but surely the word series implies they've been a regular for multiple seasons. If it's anyone other than Loras I'll eat my hat.

It's got to be Loras. And if he is truly wounded after attacking Dragonstone, maybe this just a substitute way to wound him. I can see why D&D would want to tie together all the storylines, since there are so many, and give Loras serious screentime (which he had none of in season 4) as well as reminding us all of his physical side. This is also a good opportunity to have Obara show off her skills.

So yeah, my theory is that Loras replaces Balon Swan and this is technically veiled TWOW material (with slight deviations of course).

We will know soon enough if D&D truly dated to cut Arianne. It makes no sense, so for now it's best to put the thought aside :)

If (and it's a big if) Arianne is cut, it could be a major clue about what happens in the books. The only reason that they would definitely need to include Arianne is if she marries Aegon. The Sandsnakes can take her role when it comes to the Myrcella plot and stuff like that, but they couldn't take her place when it comes to marrying Aegon. So if Arianne is cut it might be a hint that Arianne isn't going to marry Aegon.

A lot of people assume that an Arianne/Aegon marriage is going to happen, but it hasn't been suggested in the books yet, and it isn't even necessary for a Dorne/Aegon alliance. Aegon is Doran's nephew (if he's real) so Dorne should support Aegon anyway.

If (and it's a big if) Arianne is cut, it could be a major clue about what happens in the books. The only reason that they would definitely need to include Arianne is if she marries Aegon. The Sandsnakes can take her role when it comes to the Myrcella plot and stuff like that, but they couldn't take her place when it comes to marrying Aegon. So if Arianne is cut it might be a hint that Arianne isn't going to marry Aegon.

A lot of people assume that an Arianne/Aegon marriage is going to happen, but it hasn't been suggested in the books yet, and it isn't even necessary for a Dorne/Aegon alliance. Aegon is Doran's nephew (if he's real) so Dorne should support Aegon anyway.

I disagree with the premise. They could simply have one of the Sand Snakes marry Aegon (or even Oberyn's paramour) and it would come to the same thing.

If it's anyone other than Loras I'll eat my hat.

I hope you have a tasty hat! :D

Stop it, you're starting to scare me !

If it actually happened I would seriously riot.

Buy a riot shield? ;)

Aegon is going to start his reign by marrying a bastard, just does not make sense. only a true highborn is good enough for a king in this world.

The television show does not operate under the strict logic of the book series. All the television audience needs to know is that the marriage cements the Dornish alliance.

I disagree with the premise. They could simply have one of the Sand Snakes marry Aegon (or even Oberyn's paramour) and it would come to the same thing.

Only in a really warped sense of logic. Especially as apparently Doran has at least 2 sons in the show, so the legitimised sand snake (poor Doran if his heir has to come to that) wouldn't even be heir of Dorne. I mean, it COULD work, but that doesn't mean that it's not a terrible idea that will be a huge negative against the show runners if they choose.

The television show does not operate under the strict logic of the book series. All the television audience needs to know is that the marriage cements the Dornish alliance.

I'm trying not to worry, but I know what you mean. It'd be the same "logic" that has Loras being heir to Highgarden on the show despite the fact that he was already in Renly's KG in S2.

Only in a really warped sense of logic. Especially as apparently Doran has at least 2 sons in the show, so the legitimised sand snake (poor Doran if his heir has to come to that) wouldn't even be heir of Dorne. I mean, it COULD work, but that doesn't mean that it's not a terrible idea that will be a huge negative against the show runners if they choose.

I do not think they would necessarily have to make her the heir to Dorne for the storyline to work. She might simply want to crown Myrcella to provoke war with the Lannisters, which was one of the reasons from the book anyway.

Not that I am suggesting they get rid of Arianne or take this approach (she is actually one of my favorite characters), but I do think it is quite plausible. She is not in any sense absolutely necessary to the narrative, even if she does go on and marry Aegon.

Has Loras been referred to as the heir in the show?

Yes. Olenna said he was "heir to Highgarden" when Tywin was making the marriage pact with her. And then Tywin threatened to name him to the KG. Like, um, guys? He was already in a KG.

I do not think they would necessarily have to make her the heir to Dorne for the storyline to work. She might simply want to crown Myrcella to provoke war with the Lannisters, which was one of the reasons from the book anyway.

Not that I am suggesting they get rid of Arianne or take this approach (she is actually one of my favorite characters), but I do think it is quite plausible. She is not in any sense absolutely necessary to the narrative, even if she does go on and marry Aegon.

. why would you take one characters role and give it to 3 characters. it just does not make sense.

A little tidbit from the sullied at NeoGAF.

Interesting little nugget, this actress has updated her CV to indicate she played one of the Children of the Forest.

http://www.spotlight.com/interactive...=F122162&pub=1

Really looking forward to seeing the CotF on screen.

We already know that Octavia Alexandru will be playing a CotF, so... does this mean we see two of them? Personally, I wonder if Alice Hewkin might be playing the Waif, and not a CotF, since the casting call said they were looking for someone Chinese for the Waif. Thoughts?

Yes. Olenna said he was "heir to Highgarden" when Tywin was making the marriage pact with her. And then Tywin threatened to name him to the KG. Like, um, guys? He was already in a KG.

Does the show leave the possibility of a younger brother, actually? I know they didn't want to lose their heir, but did they state he was their only son?

Archived