[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

It has been suggested that Gendry might show up at the Wall, since that was where he was originally headed and his character might think that is the best place to go. The thing I like about that theory is that Gendry and Jon would be happy to meet each other. And it would be sorta fun to see Gendry realize that Melissandre is also at the Wall. But Gendry could also be the sympathetic character that loses faith in Jon's leadership and stabs him.

But I think that the emphasis on Alliser's heroism and his chat to Jon about leadership were to set him up as an understandable political opposition to Jon at the Wall.

Thorne was sent ranging in the books. Did he come back? He was one of three parties. One cane back as eyeless heads. Mel can't see the other ones. Perhaps they are behind the bewitched stewards who attacked Jon.

In the show he's still kicking in the infirmary. Since Jon's friends are gone and Janos is a coward perhaps Thorne will be an adviser.

3 died by the hands of the Weeper. His fate and the others is still open. Obviously I could be wrong, but suspect he'll have a important part to play. Perhaps in the endgame. I like the idea of heroic death for him, saving Jon. While a prick, he is a loyal one to the N.W. The books really haven't had the redeeming side of Thorne the TV show has, perhaps they are forshadowing us by something they know haha.

I would be curious to see how they handle the election. I really don't think it would stretch things to introduce as characters the commanders of the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch. You sort of need them to have a '3rd option' to break a deadlock. The election really was cleverly done in the books and a great Samwell moment. It would be shame to see that ruined as well.

I'm so bummed now that there isn't an episode to watch tonight.

Same here.

My wife and I have been doing Dragon imitations to each other all day, chasing each other around the house: flapping wings and spewing fire to ease the withdraw. :laugh: The sad life of a GoT fanatic

3 died by the hands of the Weeper. His fate and the others is still open. Obviously I could be wrong, but suspect he'll have a important part to play. Perhaps in the endgame. I like the idea of heroic death for him, saving Jon. While a prick, he is a loyal one to the N.W. The books really haven't had the redeeming side of Thorne the TV show has, perhaps they are forshadowing us by something they know haha.

I would be curious to see how they handle the election. I really don't think it would stretch things to introduce as characters the commanders of the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch. You sort of need them to have a '3rd option' to break a deadlock. The election really was cleverly done in the books and a great Samwell moment. It would be shame to see that ruined as well.

Yeah I don't know how the election will work on the show. They've really got us looking at only Castle Black. If the other castles are manned where were they for the battle? Maybe it will be Thorne v Jon since Thorne has more legitimacy than in the books & Jon could be tainted by association with Mance and now Stannis. Thorne-Janos affair appears doomed so I don't see a 3rd candidate.

I suspect Aemon put that raven in the kettle & it would be cool if they showed him sneaking in there with a bird under his arm :)

Thorne is a knight and they are the guys who are taught to fight and lead. So I don't see any other candidates. They might rediscover the other castles to find a candidate.

Yeah I don't know how the election will work on the show. They've really got us looking at only Castle Black. If the other castles are manned where were they for the battle? Maybe it will be Thorne v Jon since Thorne has more legitimacy than in the books & Jon could be tainted by association with Mance and now Stannis. Thorne-Janos affair appears doomed so I don't see a 3rd candidate.

I suspect Aemon put that raven in the kettle & it would be cool if they showed him sneaking in there with a bird under his arm :)

Thorne is a knight and they are the guys who are taught to fight and lead. So I don't see any other candidates. They might rediscover the other castles to find a candidate.

I think it was BR. Even if someone put the raven in the kettle, they couldn't make it fly to Jon and yell 'snow!' The raven also has said some really suspicious things.

It was the best of episodes, it was the worst of episodes...

The Jon/ Mance and Stannis scenes were excellent, though the same isuee with the scale of the Wildling forces in Ep 9(100,000 in case you hadn't heard the 18th time) was problematic again here on screen.

Curtailing Bran's sojourn shouldn't be problematic if they do intelligent things with his greenseer tuition in S5 that advance the plot.

Jojen's death at this point was unexpected. I was expecting him to be grievously injured but dragged into the cavee when the skele-whights emerged.

Bloodraven only started to bother me after reading this thread. He should definitely have been intertwined more and the extra eye was annoying. I really hope they keep his Targaryen bastard lineage in the continuity.

Tyrion's scenes were watered down. They could have resurrected Tysha backstory - introduced in Season 2 and referenced in S3 - through Tyrion reminiscing and Jaime looking regretful as he leahe's in episode 7 instead of the beetle smashing. Then instead of the "he ain't heavy he's my brother" routine, we could have had the reveal and a more rounded Tyrion vs Tywin scene. Major case of the sthe showrunners not having faith in the audience.

Arya and the Hound scenes were great as was the Qyburn and Cersci scene.Qyburn played perfectly.

I think it was BR. Even if someone put the raven in the kettle, they couldn't make it fly to Jon and yell 'snow!' The raven also has said some really suspicious things.

BR can't do things. The raven couldn't do it by himself. The kettle had a cover. What the raven did is def suspicious for sure. Heck a raven followed Arya and the Hound in one book scene. I don't trust any of them. The ravens and the fools are running everything, I suspect.

I have a feeling I'm not missing anything here, but if I am, someone help me out.

How did half of Stannis' cavalry get to the other side of the 100k wildling camp, unseen, and pull off a near-symmetrical attack?

They went for Mance's tent, not the whole "army" note the 100K is mainly not-fighters.

They went for Mance's tent, not the whole "army" note the 100K is mainly not-fighters.

Indeed. There's Stannis' line to Mance which is effectively "by nightfall we'll have thousands of your people in chains, with nothing to feed them". The impression being the environing encampments will also be attacked with the aim of capturing those who haven't scattered already.

The encirclement without prior detection was weird, but then again the term 'army' is used pretty loosely.

One thing that bothered me about Season 1 was Tyrion being able to march over a hill and into the very heart of the Lannister encampment with in excess of a hundred hill clan warriors, without any interdiction.

Yeah, you need 'battle tactics' against 20-30 dudes sitting around a campfire.

Not.

Read the book version, it's infinitely better.

The entire scene was just put together in such a way as to make Stannis the villain ( complete with Darth vader music ), and deny any sense of a military achievement. No other logic used there.

BR can't do things. The raven couldn't do it by himself. The kettle had a cover. What the raven did is def suspicious for sure. Heck a raven followed Arya and the Hound in one book scene. I don't trust any of them. The ravens and the fools are running everything, I suspect.

...he can warg a raven. No, he couldn't put the cover on the kettle, but Aemon couldn't have made the bird go straight to Jon and yell out his name when the cover was off.

The raven also says some very, very strange things without being prompted- like "King Jon Snow" and "Burn, burn, burn!" to Jon when he was fighting the wight. So I definitely think we have some supernatural force on the raven and it is being used to help Jon.

...he can warg a raven. No, he couldn't put the cover on the kettle, but Aemon couldn't have made the bird go straight to Jon and yell out his name when the cover was off.

The raven also says some very, very strange things without being prompted- like "King Jon Snow" and "Burn, burn, burn!" to Jon when he was fighting the wight. So I definitely think we have some supernatural force on the raven and it is being used to help Jon.

Agreed. I also think Bran will be better than BR at this. Poor Jeor - at least Jon has a shot at understanding ravenspeak

I wonder what Bran would find in Patchface's head.

Agreed. I also think Bran will be better than BR at this. Poor Jeor - at least Jon has a shot at understanding ravenspeak

I wonder what Bran would find in Patchface's head.

Patchface scares the shit out of me XD I hope we never see into his head, that would be freaky.

Archived