Connecting the 3 Dragon Heads - Examining Unique Similarities

pobeb

So, who does everyone think will ride each dragon? Of course someone could ride a dragon for a time and then someone else could take the reins. I think we're all kind of expecting Dany-Drogon Tyrion-Viserion Jon-Rhaegal, but it would be mighty interesting if Vic managed to capture Drogon. Of course based on what information we have on TWOW it seems unlikely.

Drogon already has a rider--so Drogon is off. What can happen, for example, is Vic gets Rhaegal and takes him back to Westeros. Vic gets killed and somehow (f)Aegon gets Rhaegal. Dany comes over with Drogon and Tryion with Viserion, and we have DoD 2.0, and Drogon eats (f)Aegon. Then Rhaegal takes off and somehow gets to Jon.

I am not necessarily predicting the course of events will happens, but given that a dragon cannot have a new dragon rider until the existing dragon rider is dead, this is one example of how a dragon (in this example, Rhaegal) could have other riders before the final rider.

Drogon already has a rider--so Drogon is off. What can happen, for example, is Vic gets Rhaegal and takes him back to Westeros. Vic gets killed and somehow (f)Aegon gets Rhaegal. Dany comes over with Drogon and Tryion with Viserion, and we have DoD 2.0, and Drogon eats (f)Aegon. Then Rhaegal takes off and somehow gets to Jon.

I am not necessarily predicting the course of events will happens, but given that a dragon cannot have a new dragon rider until the existing dragon rider is dead, this is one example of how a dragon (in this example, Rhaegal) could have other riders before the final rider.

Rhaegal renamed Margaerax?

Very interesting. I hadn't put those moments together.

So Viserion is a dragon that craves a woman's love and should have a woman rider ( who?) is one possibility. Or he is a dragon to be ridden by a man who craves, badly, a woman's love (Tyrion).

The thing is that Viserion was ALSO the dragon who was the most attracted to Brown Ben Plumm, so it might not be about being female at all. The description of his egg also seems to somewhat match the egg that Elaena Targaryen had - Elaena being Plumm's ancestor. Meaning that Viserion may be sensing Elaena's kin.

Well, I don't know who will end up riding whom and for what reasons. It just seems to me that Vis would be best for Dany because he would put her safety above all other considerations. I don't get an impression that the other two would do likewise.

Well, I don't know who will end up riding whom and for what reasons. It just seems to me that Vis would be best for Dany because he would put her safety above all other considerations. I don't get an impression that the other two would do likewise.

It's a really interesting point. Since we know she won't ride that one (him/her) though it is interesting to think where else that connection could be leading.

Kudos for coming up with this sequence of events that makes everyone's guess for dragon riders correct.

I just realized something, and I'm wondering if this is just me being slow on the connection:

The Targaryen words, "Fire and Blood", symbolize the two elements of magic: fire magic and blood magic

If you think about it, The song of Ice and Fire, the union of blood magic (ice) and fire magic (fire), could be a connection.

Mel uses fire magic to see visions of future events. Jojen uses blood magic to see visions of future events.

I agree with you all the way up until this point. Granted, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong (I'm still puzzling it out myself), but I want you to take a look at something fascinating I found in a re-read of Brienne's "trial":

Now, during the time Brienne is judged by Lady Stoneheart, 3 very important items are examined: Robb's Crown, Oathkeeper, and Tommen's Letter:

So, I've highlighted some VERY key lines here, but before I elaborate on these items, I'm going to tell you exactly what they represent:

1) Oathkeeper = Jon

- red and black (Targaryen) ripples (woven) in the blade (Jon)

- pommel has "ruby eyes that shone like two red stars" (Longclaw/Ghost)

- And the most definitive point:

Jon was once an "Oathkeeper" then accused of being an "Oathbreaker" :cool4:

2) Tommen's Letter = Robb's Will

-Tommen's letter is "the boy king's letter" - Robb is referred to as "the boy king"

-both letters are described specifically as "parchments" and carry the King's decree

3) Robb's Crown = Jon's Crown

- While Catelyn is pondering the crown, she strokes it's blades "as if to test their sharpness"

- We've established that the swords and blades, in this sense, are a metaphor for Jon

- So, Catelyn is pondering the crown (thinking of the successor), and testing the blades (Jon) of their "sharpness" (truth)

- To magnify the significance of Catelyn's testing of blades for truth, look no further than the ultimatum she gives to Brienne:

"The sword (Jon) or the noose (death), she says. Choose, she says. Choose.”

Or, in other words, "Those who do not bend, break. Bow before King Jon, or you will be broken."

And now to bring is all home! So, when we see Lady Stoneheart, she is examing first the crown, then the sword, then the parchment. HOWEVER, after she's seen all 3, she studies them in a very, VERY specific and interesting order:

If you've followed me so far, I hope you see the significance in this order: Catelyn's progressive thinking which concludes in who the King should be.

She studied the sword (Jon), the parchment (Robb's Will - naming Jon King)

and finally

the bronze-and-iron crown (The Future King)

So, in closing, should we assume that Catelyn knows about Jon's secret? It is possible, but the more probable situation is that Catelyn is being driven by the memory of her dead son, and Robb's final command (to crown Jon) At least, that's my current stance. I feel that with or without Howland's knowledge, Catelyn would still be moving in the same direction. Although, I do agree that Howland's involvement with her is definitely a possibility.

To those wondering the significance behind sending Brienne to capture Jaime... Well... you'll just have to wait until my "Trial of Joy" theory. Trust me, for all the research you guys have seen me do here, I've done double the work offline, and it will be worth the wait ;)

p.s. Anyone think, with all this evidence I've scrounged up, there should be a new thread made to analyze the merit of Cat's kiss for Jon? credits will be given accordingly, of course (lady arya's song)

I ask because we're all discussing it, but within a thread dedicated to discussing the similarities between Jon, Dany, and Tyrion

I disagree.

You've done some nice comparison in points 1, but honestly, parchment as a clue is too much. Paper and parchment are used interchangeably in the books. Lord Beric's parchment to Hound, Jon's paper shield which was a sealed parchment etc.

Lord Beric and his men was sent forth by Ned on behalf of Robert. They did not do anything to support Stannis or Renly after Robert's death. They did what they were asked to do.

It has been one year since Robb's death, still there is no King in the North. All LSH cares is about vengeance. If she cares to put a new KitN, what has she done so far? Has anyone from the BwB contacted Jon? They found the crown from Ryman Frey, but I doubt that whore's(camp follower with Ryman) intentions was to find the crown. She was there to spy for BwB. Brotherhood's actions are all about attacking Freys and Lannisters. They are not making any political moves. As for LSH herself, I think she will share the Blackfish's remark on how Jon became LC. Blackfish may not have meant it, but Catelyn will. She will think Jon knew he was made heir and conspired with Tywin for the Red Wedding. I won't put it past Catelyn or LSH.

I think that finaly Brienne chapter is all about Brienne, and attributing more meanings to it destroys Brienne's importance. Brienne is the Oathkeeper who is about to become an Oathbreaker by harming Jaime.

It's a really interesting point. Since we know she won't ride that one (him/her) though it is interesting to think where else that connection could be leading.

How do we know she won't ride Vis? As the mother of all three dragons, I would think she has a better chance than most to be able to ride each of them.

How do we know she won't ride Vis? As the mother of all three dragons, I would think she has a better chance than most to be able to ride each of them.

Well it's never been done before. No one has ever ridden more than one. And she really seems quite attached to Drogon. But you are right, we can't be 100% sure. Only 90% ;).

Archived