Comics X: The Great Ten

Sci-2

I really disliked the Grant Morrison F4 comic, but that has to do with my tastes in F4 more than anything, I think.

Mastermen is just full of Wagneriana which is personally extremely entertaining for me, although I do wonder how well Morrison knows what he's referring to.

Autumnlands is the most beautiful comic being printed right now.

Autumnlands, Lazarus, and Multiversity all were great this week. The trial by combat in Lazarus was pretty cool, and the ending looks to be setting up some all out craziness.

Jim Lee doing an issue of Multiversity was a bonus for me, he's one of my absolute favorite artists. Is there really only one more issue? :(

Those were my two picks. Haven't read them yet as just got back from vacation.

Manifest Destiny has dropped off my pull list for now. There's a good chance I'll pick up the trade but I'm trying to be ruthless and only buy singles of the comics I outright love/can't wait for the trade eg Saga and Lazarus. And trying out various new series as they pop up.

Hats off to DC. It may have taken years for Multiversity to launch but they have actually maintained the shipping schedule since then and I recall stating that would never happen. Shame they didn't do that with Sandman,

I was wondering what people's reactions to the DC rebranding are? I suspect it won't be as bold as they are claiming with all the books that are doing wel being left untouched. It does appear to be diversifying in style and approach though - sort of reminiscent of Marvel Knights took over all of Marvel under the Quesada and guy who I've totally forgotten (the co-editor in chief not palmiotti). If they do stick to their guns with "only the good stories become canon" it'll be interesting to see if it works, I can't recall who posted here that DC/Marvel continuity is essentially just that and that the best runs are ones that just tell a story (eg Dark Knight, Inhumans etc, etc). I wonder if hardcore fans can handle that being brazenly admitted?

Those were my two picks. Haven't read them yet as just got back from vacation.

Manifest Destiny has dropped off my pull list for now. There's a good chance I'll pick up the trade but I'm trying to be ruthless and only buy singles of the comics I outright love/can't wait for the trade eg Saga and Lazarus. And trying out various new series as they pop up.

Hats off to DC. It may have taken years for Multiversity to launch but they have actually maintained the shipping schedule since then and I recall stating that would never happen. Shame they didn't do that with Sandman,

I was wondering what people's reactions to the DC rebranding are? I suspect it won't be as bold as they are claiming with all the books that are doing wel being left untouched. It does appear to be diversifying in style and approach though - sort of reminiscent of Marvel Knights took over all of Marvel under the Quesada and guy who I've totally forgotten (the co-editor in chief not palmiotti). If they do stick to their guns with "only the good stories become canon" it'll be interesting to see if it works, I can't recall who posted here that DC/Marvel continuity is essentially just that and that the best runs are ones that just tell a story (eg Dark Knight, Inhumans etc, etc). I wonder if hardcore fans can handle that being brazenly admitted?

I am pretty darn excited about most of the new DC books except for the completely incomprehensible decision of putting Daniel Wilson on 'Earth 2: Society'--where even the name is a slap in the face to fans of the material, because World's End has been worse than Ultimatum, all his original ideas are awful, and he didn't know he was doing it until last week.

I am pretty darn excited about most of the new DC books except for the completely incomprehensible decision of putting Daniel Wilson on 'Earth 2: Society'--where even the name is a slap in the face to fans of the material, because World's End has been worse than Ultimatum, all his original ideas are awful, and he didn't know he was doing it until last week.

They seem to be embracing the comedy success of Harley Quinn quite vigorously and the slew of female led titles (that don't seem to be just appealing to lecherous teen boys/adults) looks promising even if I'm not intererested in any of the creative teams/subjects. I really hope "Cyborg" will be a winner and I'm wondering what happened where I'd no longer pick up a Bryan Hitch comic instantly. I guess I'm sceptical of his writing talents and it being the Justice League he's working on (I think they'd need one of my favourite writers on board to fully sell that to me).

So while nothing they've announced has particularly grabbed me yet, I'm still pleased with the shake-up. I know I scoffed at the Animal Man/Swamp Thing relaunch with the new 52 but found them to be pretty damn good (at least initially) so this new batch of writers and/or titles may also throw out some surprises.

They seem to be embracing the comedy success of Harley Quinn quite vigorously and the slew of female led titles (that don't seem to be just appealing to lecherous teen boys/adults) looks promising even if I'm not intererested in any of the creative teams/subjects. I really hope "Cyborg" will be a winner and I'm wondering what happened where I'd no longer pick up a Bryan Hitch comic instantly. I guess I'm sceptical of his writing talents and it being the Justice League he's working on (I think they'd need one of my favourite writers on board to fully sell that to me).

So while nothing they've announced has particularly grabbed me yet, I'm still pleased with the shake-up. I know I scoffed at the Animal Man/Swamp Thing relaunch with the new 52 but found them to be pretty damn good (at least initially) so this new batch of writers and/or titles may also throw out some surprises.

The guy writing the new Midnighter solo has won me over by his sick good taste in comics on twitter, so I'm hyped for that. And some of the stuff that looks maybe a bit less For Me still looks like some real thought into it, like Black Canary.

The guy writing the new Midnighter solo has won me over by his sick good taste in comics on twitter, so I'm hyped for that. And some of the stuff that looks maybe a bit less For Me still looks like some real thought into it, like Black Canary.

I'd love for there to be a great midnighter book on the shelves. You'd think by now DC would submit and say "let's go back to the Ellis formula".

Picked up the Criminal one shot. It was pretty good. A little bit like Watchmen with a comic inside a comic. This one having Teeg Lawless reading a kind of adult style Conan comic while in jail.

I had that in my hand to buy until I started wondering if I'd finished the original series? I'm pretty sure I had but I can't remember any sense of resolution to it? Need to check the comic boxes...

Picked up the Criminal one shot. It was pretty good. A little bit like Watchmen with a comic inside a comic. This one having Teeg Lawless reading a kind of adult style Conan comic while in jail.

Ah shit, that was a one off? Bummer. I like the Fade Out and Fatale (even if I'm like... years behind on that one) Criminal is still my favorite by Brubaker/Phillips, was really excited for the return...

Ah shit, that was a one off? Bummer. I like the Fade Out and Fatale (even if I'm like... years behind on that one) Criminal is still my favorite by Brubaker/Phillips, was really excited for the return...

Unfortunately it's just a one shot to coincide with the release of the old Criminal books under Image. I wish we could get more too, I absolutely love Criminal. It and Sleeper are probably tied for my favorite from Brubaker/Phillips.

Unfortunately it's just a one shot to coincide with the release of the old Criminal books under Image. I wish we could get more too, I absolutely love Criminal. It and Sleeper are probably tied for my favorite from Brubaker/Phillips.

I think Sleeper wins out but Criminal is great. I liked how the stories were all interweaving a bit like 100 bullets but without the gimmick, I still think I may have missed some of it. Last arc I can recall is the one involving the comic artist.

ok it looks like I've missed the last two mini-series (must have been some confusion mith my LCSO in only putting the regular series on my pull list). Guess I'll be trade hunting today

ok it looks like I've missed the last two mini-series (must have been some confusion mith my LCSO in only putting the regular series on my pull list). Guess I'll be trade hunting today

As far as I know there is 6 stories, Coward, Lawless, The Dead and the Dying, Bad Night, The Sinners, and The Last of the Innocent.

Good haul for me today. Saga, Black Science, The dying dead (Hickman book) and descender and nameless. Look forward to reading a few tonight.

Got all these except for The Dying Dead. Nameless was pretty crazy. Liked Descender, will definitely check out next issue. Picked up the new Hawkeye too. I was dissapointed when I heard it was getting a new creative team (Jeff Lemire & Ramon PĂ©rez), nothing against those guys but I think most would agree Fraction and Aja's run was pretty great. It was a solid first issue though.

Got all these except for The Dying Dead. Nameless was pretty crazy. Liked Descender, will definitely check out next issue. Picked up the new Hawkeye too. I was dissapointed when I heard it was getting a new creative team (Jeff Lemire & Ramon PĂ©rez), nothing against those guys but I think most would agree Fraction and Aja's run was pretty great. It was a solid first issue though.

I didn't realise it was the new team on Hawkeye. I just assumed it was the regular team still trying to finish.

I played it safe and went for Balck science and Saga first. Saga has some crushing scenes of old-school tragedy playing out (the narration adds to this) and i realised it's becoming quite the ensemble piece these days. Black Science is still chaotically beautiful but they did actually clear a few things up which is essential given there're multiple versions of the same character(s) running around. They also had a really useful recap page in that it helped highlight what the author thinks is important to what's happening. Honestly, I have trouble knowing what's going on most of the time but enjoy the artwork/ride.

Nameless # 2: Good stuff. Really curious how this plays out. Interesting that GM is spoofing films - first Inception (itself based on Paprika of course) and now Armageddon.

Avengers, Avengers World: Usual review. Interesting but man Infinity and Cap time traveling apparently wasted a lot of issues. Same deal with Spencer on A-World. Not sure what that was about because it led nowhere and barely tied into the main story.

Descender: Good stuff. I like SFF that has these multi-world alliances and the mystery is intriguing.

Outcast #1: Intriguing stuff. Will likely have to pursue this further in trade form.

Still need to read Saga....

Nameless #2. Burnham's cartoony style really amplifies the horror for some reason - maybe it's the juxtaposition. Take the crazy woman and how she was writing on the walls (I like how the art implied where things were coming from without the narrative stating it). Some parts remind me of the "crossed" online comic "wish you were here" from a year or so ago, so it's clearly "up there" in the horror department.

Someone is doing a MightyGodKing (We Don't Need Your Civil War) style parody of Hickmanvengers under the title of "Everything is Illuminated...and Then it Dies", and it's making the whole thing so very much more readable. And on a technical level, the compression/editing/nip and tuck shows how much wasted space and padding there is in the whole thing. Highly recommended, even if you like the run.

Couldn't get into "Descender". Love Nguyen's art - especially where the boys disassembles but the rest of it left me cold. Nothing about the premise really grabbed me.

Hickman seems a good choice for a parody as he has a very specific style. Hopefully some diagrams!

Archived