A Feast for the Dead, a Snow in the Tombs, a Dream in Dust

Kyoshi

I have read a comparison between Jaime and Jon sometimes ago, I don't remember where, maybe The Jon Snow re-read thread but I'm not sure at all. Something like the black knight in white (Jaime) and the white knight in black (Jon) in the beginning. The theory was about how Jon and Jaime were slowy inversing their position, Jon becoming more like Jaime (ADWD) and Jaime more like Jon (Post hand-cut). It was very interesting.

Characters with the crypts dream:

• Jaime - beneath Casterly Rock (he rules out a bear and lion in the pits but not a direwolf. Looking for Stark but haunted by Rhaegar)

Jon - in the crypts of Winterfell (looking for Father and Uncle but finds a wounded direwolf)

Characters at a feast

• Theon - in his dream at the Great Hall of Winterfell (Robb and Grey Wind join the feast)

Bran - at the Harvest Feast in the Great Hall of Winterfell (where we meet Meera and Jojen for the first time)

Daenerys - at the House of the Undying where she sees a wolf "king" and a rose on a wall of ice

Dreaming characters

• Jon

Theon

Jaime

Dany (if you count prophecies as dreams)

I'm sure if if I put my crackpot mind to work I can come up with something...

The wounded direwolf is possible (the Stark family is certainly gravely wounded at this time), but it may also be a direwolf that has killed. (“Doom.”)

Thank you Julia H. I was searching for this thread and post as well. I think that Jon, Theon and Jaime's dream are much more connected than Daenerys's vision even if the three feast (HotU, Theon's dream and Bran's feast) must be connected as well.

The thing is I don't think that Jaime is in Casterly Rock. He say it himself that he has never seem a place like that there: "There were watery caverns deep below Casterly Rock, but this one was strange to him. “What place is this?We know that he had this dream when he is sleeping on a weirwood's stump. The weirwoods are all connected as we know through Bran's POV and remembers.

Could Jaime also be somewhere beneath winterfell as well ?

- The water: There is pools in winterfell.

- An unknown place: it seems that there is lot of things beneath Winterfell, hidden ways, maybe tunnels, so why not a cave ?...

- As Julia H has pointed out, there is no lions, nor bears but direwolves.

- As Jon, Jaime has as well "no choice but to descend"

As weirwoods are connected, maybe the crypt are all connected in dreams and Jaime is stuck somewhere between Casterly Rock and Winterfell ?

Three parts of the same dream :

- Places : Jon, in the crypts, can hear the drums of the feast that took place in winterfell's Great Hall in Theon's dream. Jon also point out that a "light has gone out somewhere" which correspond with the light from Jaime's sword going out. I would say that Jon and Jaime are both beneath winterfell with Jaime being in a secret cave not too far from the crypt or connected to the crypt.

- Themes : The dead and family.

The revelation:

Many thinks that Jon while being coma next book will finish his dream and I agree. Some thinks that he will as well discover is parentage there. It is possible.

We know that Jon is condemned to go deeper in the crypt. He pass the Kings of Winter but he is not afraid of them, then comes the Lord of Winterfell, and Jon is still somewhat searching for his family, particulary for his father as the same time that he is claiming that he doesn't belong here because according him he is not a Stark. But he has to keep going deeper in the crypt anyway and what is the last tomb in the crypt ? Lyanna's. Jon's dream is clearly about his struggle with his identity, and the fact that he doesn't want to finish the dream, that he is terrified, is because he is unknowngly scared of finding the truth about his parentage.

Then, we have Theon's dream about the dead Starks as well with an emphasis on Lyanna : "The slim, sad girl who wore a crown of pale blue roses and a white gown spattered with gore could only be Lyanna". How can Theon possibly dream of Lyanna with a crown of blue roses ? He can't know the importance of that crown. Nor he can't know the detail of her death "the white gown spattered with gore". And there also the fact that she is "sad". No, this details are here for a reason IMO.

As for Jaime's dream, Julia H. has already pointed out the appareance of Rhaegar that Jaime first believe is Eddard Stark which can be the answer of Jon's call for his father to help him. In Jaime's dream Rhaegar scowl Jaime for having not protected his children. The Kingsguard are also described as such : "They were armored all in snow, it seemed to him, and ribbons of mist swirled back from their shoulders".

Plus, the scene is written with the same expression that the TOJ dream, "we all swore oaths", the "mist" used to describe the Kingsguard... Then, we have : "Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark" -> Jon's colors.

Is it a call from Rhaegar for Jaime to protect Jon ? This ties well with Jaime willingness to redempt himself and his decision to not take arms against the Starks and the Tully.

There is alson that thread on Jaime's dream : http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/65116-jaimes-dream-brienne-uncat-and-everything-else/?p=3140400

I really like your analysis, and I think you are right that the cavern in Jaime's dream may be somewhere under Winterfell, too. I think Jaime's dream starts in Casterly Rock, but he is pushed out of the castle and ends up in a place where direwolves wait for him in the dark. Could it perhaps mean that deep down he is moving away from Lannister values and loyalties? Or perhaps the Lannisters banish him.

It is interesting that Jaime meets Jon's father and Theon sees Jon's mother, while Jon's quest in the dream is to discover his true parentage. Lyanna is sad, while Rhaegar is crowned in mist and grief.

It is deeply moving when Jon pleads, “Please, Father, help me.” He also pleads with Ygritte for forgiveness. Jaime begs his family members to stay with him, but they all leave him. (All the Lannisters are there, except for Tyrion.) Theon does not seem to speak to the dead. (Mute appeal?)

I have read a comparison between Jaime and Jon sometimes ago, I don't remember where, maybe The Jon Snow re-read thread but I'm not sure at all. Something like the black knight in white (Jaime) and the white knight in black (Jon) in the beginning. The theory was about how Jon and Jaime were slowy inversing their position, Jon becoming more like Jaime (ADWD) and Jaime more like Jon (Post hand-cut). It was very interesting.

I seem to remember the post, too. The point may have been that Jaime is moving towards honor (from love) while Jon is moving towards love (his honour does not matter any more than his life when he has to protect others).

I'm sure there is still a lot more to say about these dreams.

The wounded direwolf is possible (the Stark family is certainly gravely wounded at this time), but it may also be a direwolf that has killed. (“Doom.”)

The wounded direwolf is not just another direwolf.

But it was only a direwolf, grey and ghastly, spotted with blood, his golden eyes shining sadly through the dark. (Jon, ASOS)

It is Grey Wind, Robb's direwolf. I have to check if Jon dreamed of this before, during or after the RW, but the vision goes hand in hand with Theon's dream.

And then the tall doors opened with a crash, and a freezing gale blew down the hall, and Robb came walking out of the night. Grey Wind stalked beside, eyes burning, and man and wolf alike bled from half a hundred savage wounds.

Theon woke with a scream, startling Wex so badly that the boy ran naked from the room.

(Theon, ACOK)

Finally, here is the description of Grey Wind from wiki:

Grey Wind has smoke grey fur and yellow eyes.

I didn't think that it was "just another direwolf", but I couldn't decide whether it was Grey Wind or Summer. The description of Summer from the wiki:

Summer has silvery grey fur and yellow eyes.

Now I think Grey Wind is less likely because he would be the only character appearing in two places in the shared dream, both in Theon's and in Jon's part of the dream.

Actually (from the wiki):

Nymeria has golden eyes and grey fur.

WOW!!! I'm sorry to sound quite so silly, but you guys (everyone on here) are soooooooooooo smart to pick up on all of this. The only thing I've picked up on is when Catelyn said that she feared her heart had turned to stone (Lady Stoneheart) in GoT as she's riding to the Vale. You guys are AWESOME! Thank you!

I didn't think that it was "just another direwolf", but I couldn't decide whether it was Grey Wind or Summer. The description of Summer from the wiki:

Now I think Grey Wind is less likely because he would be the only character appearing in two places in the shared dream, both in Theon's and in Jon's part of the dream.

Actually (from the wiki):

Fair enough, but but if it's not Grey Wind, but Nymeria how come Jon and Theon are dreaming a part of the same dream? What's the significance of Nymeria in the crypts? My thought was that, if it's the same dream, and Grey Wind and Robb show up in the end of Theon's, it makes sense that Grey Wind is approaching the feast through the crypts in Jon's dream.

No, Nymeria is still alive. the dreams of Theon and Jon comprise all of dead people (except for the dreamer). The direwolf is either Grey Wind (Slain at the red wedding) or Lady (killed by Ned)

EDIT: i just read back to the OP and Jon says 'his' when referring to the direwolf. So it must be Grey Wind

No, Nymeria is still alive. the dreams of Theon and Jon comprise all of dead people (except for the dreamer). The direwolf is either Grey Wind (Slain at the red wedding) or Lady (killed by Ned)

EDIT: i just read back to the OP and Jon says 'his' when referring to the direwolf. So it must be Grey Wind

Agree that it cannot be Nymeria, but could Jaime's direwolf be the mother of the pups Ned & the boys found? His dream seems to be equating direwolves with doom, & she was the first one we see, already dead, but still providing strength to her little ones. Look at the strength Nran derived from Summer when in his coma, the same most expect Ghost to provide Jon in some way. Sansa's Lady was killed & she has drifted farther from who she was than anyone else. Arya is constantly reminded who she is by dreams with Nymeria. Summer & what we know of Shaggy are both the physical manifestations of Bran & Rickon. The direwolves seem more integral to the well-being of the Starks/Jon than dragons to Dany, so it seems that Jamie, by distancing himself from the Lannisters, may be gaining favor with the Old Gods, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Fair enough, but but if it's not Grey Wind, but Nymeria how come Jon and Theon are dreaming a part of the same dream? What's the significance of Nymeria in the crypts? My thought was that, if it's the same dream, and Grey Wind and Robb show up in the end of Theon's, it makes sense that Grey Wind is approaching the feast through the crypts in Jon's dream.

Perhaps it is that, but then Robb should be with him as well. They arrive at the feast together. I find it odd that one character should appear in two places when all the other characters are carefully distributed in three parts of the dream.

Well, the word his rules out Nymeria then. However, Grey Wind is also alive - as well as Robb - when Theon sees his dream at the end of ACoK. We know that they will die soon (and they are dead when Jon dreams his dream), but it cannot be said that everyone appearing in the dreams is already dead. Jaime also sees a lot of people in his part of the dream who are still alive.

Anyway, I read on a bit after Jon's dream, and immediately after waking up, he thinks of Ghost, but he knows the direwolf could not be Ghost:

Was he dead as well, was that was his dream meant, the bloody wolf in the crypts? But the wolf in the dream had been grey, not white. Grey, like Bran's wolf.

Interestingly, Jon does not think of Grey Wind here, even though Robb and Grey Wind are dead at this time, and the news has probably reached Castle Black. He does think of Summer.

Agree that it cannot be Nymeria, but could Jaime's direwolf be the mother of the pups Ned & the boys found? His dream seems to be equating direwolves with doom, & she was the first one we see, already dead, but still providing strength to her little ones. Look at the strength Nran derived from Summer when in his coma, the same most expect Ghost to provide Jon in some way. Sansa's Lady was killed & she has drifted farther from who she was than anyone else. Arya is constantly reminded who she is by dreams with Nymeria. Summer & what we know of Shaggy are both the physical manifestations of Bran & Rickon. The direwolves seem more integral to the well-being of the Starks/Jon than dragons to Dany, so it seems that Jamie, by distancing himself from the Lannisters, may be gaining favor with the Old Gods, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Perhaps... The Old Gods grant him a dream at least, a possibly prophetic dream. I've just realized that the "doom" foretold by this dream is probably Lady Stoneheart. (I was reading another thread when I was struck by this thought. I'm sure others have made the connection before me...) She is associated with direwolves; the stony cavern in Jaime's dream may be a reference to Stoneheart; and the water under their feet may refer to the Riverlands and House Tully. Jaime owes further promises to Catelyn, which are related to her children, and it is exactly the same theme that is brought up by Rhaegar in the dream.

Perhaps... The Old Gods grant him a dream at least, a possibly prophetic dream. I've just realized that the "doom" foretold by this dream is probably Lady Stoneheart. (I was reading another thread when I was struck by this thought. I'm sure others have made the connection before me...) She is associated with direwolves; the stony cavern in Jaime's dream may be a reference to Stoneheart; and the water under their feet may refer to the Riverlands and House Tully. Jaime owes further promises to Catelyn, which are related to her children, and it is exactly the same theme that is brought up by Rhaegar in the dream.

I could go with this. But, while LS has an association with direwolves, she is not "of them" in the same manner as the Starks & Jon. It also seems that he has been abandoned to his fate by his own ancestors/kin...except I did not see Tyrion in the dream. Is that because he is not considered truly kin, or simply that he is not abandoning Jaime? Regardless, I think the Old Gods are going to have to really smile on Jaime to get him out of LS's hands.

I always thought the direwolf in Jon's dream was Grey Wind, perhaps he made his way down to the crypts after leaving the feast :dunno: . But if so, what is the significance of it all? I also think that perhaps the direwolf is the one we met in Bran's first chapter, the dead mother. Then again, Jon would have remarked on the size. I don't even remember the description (and I can't access my books, if anyone can provide a quote it would be very appreciated). If it is the mother direwolf, then it feeds to the theme of parentage. But like I said, I highly doubt that it is the mother direwolf in Jon's dream.

I like the idea of the wolf in Jaime's dream being the mother direwolf. But why show herself to Jaime? Having re-read Elfoy's post I am now convinced that Jaime is also somewhere beneath Winterfell. The moment he lost his hand was the same moment he started drifting from the Lannisters. Someone (would give credit if I could remember who) pointed out once that it is not a coincidence that the same hand Jaime lost is the same one with which he had been holding on to Cersei when he was born. It is also the same hand he used to push Bran from the tower, he used to slay his king...also the same hand he used to arouse Cersei. I would say Jaime has already lost his "physical"attachment to the Lannister, all that were left were the values (knightly, Lannsiter-ly and brotherly). I would say in trying to be an Oathkeeper, a man with honour, he is slowly shifting from the things that once defined him.

Interesting Observations (thanks for all the contributions):

• the absence of Tyrion in Jaime's dream
  • Theon seems to be the only non-speaker dreamer
  • we have an accounted for direwolf running around into every dream s/he wishes (I must say that I am leaning towards the direwolf not being Grey Wind simply because we don't have any other characters crossing from one vantage point of the dream to the other)
  • Jon's mother is in Theon's dream
  • Jon's father is in Jaime's dream

Please feel free to add or correct anything :D

EDIT: I have very bad internet connection and it will be like that for the next week. It takes a while for me to read and respond to all these amazing posts (which is the main reason I didn't quote anyone in this post). I apologise. But please, keep the discussion alive. It's getting more interesting with every post :thumbsup:

Yes the Direwolf could very well be the mother of the wolves, except Jaime doesn't really have a connection with that particular direwolf unless it is just a symbol for the Starks...maybe a manifestation of his guilt over Bran.

I do think you're on to something about the Starks deriving power from their direwolves. I think Jaime distancing himself from the Lannisters has more to do with Brienne and what he had learnt about himself through his travels with her.

Well, the word his rules out Nymeria then. However, Grey Wind is also alive - as well as Robb - when Theon sees his dream at the end of ACoK. We know that they will die soon (and they are dead when Jon dreams his dream), but it cannot be said that everyone appearing in the dreams is already dead. Jaime also sees a lot of people in his part of the dream who are still alive.

Anyway, I read on a bit after Jon's dream, and immediately after waking up, he thinks of Ghost, but he knows the direwolf could not be Ghost:

Interestingly, Jon does not think of Grey Wind here, even though Robb and Grey Wind are dead at this time, and the news has probably reached Castle Black. He does think of Summer.

I think Theon seeing Robb and Grey wind was more prophetic, in that it symbolised Robb and Grey wind were going to enter the feast of the dead soon. Another way for Theon to feel guilty about betraying Robb and the Starks. In Theon's dream Robb was about to enter the feast of the dead and in Jons dream he was there, which is why i think the direwolf was Grey Wind. Jon probably thinks of Summer because he believes Bran to be dead.

Really interesting thread guys, I don't have much to offer but I have enjoyed the posts I have read, nice & civilised with no derisive content, refreshing change. I believe you & Apple before you have the gist of a good theory here Kyoshi, it's tricky to determine which of these twists are going to be important. I'm getting the feeling that GRRM will actually leave a lot of these teasers unanswered & left to the readers interpretation of the dreams.

The only issue I have is why Theon would have a prophetic dream? perhaps the severe trauma he has endured triggered something (or maybe it's Weirwood induced) Barring that the other theory about him dreaming about himself (apologies to that poster, can't recall the name) also gives a different but totally credible insight for this too.

I think Jaime's dream should not be linked to the ones Jon or Theon were dreaming, but to Ned's feverish dream of the ToJ.

Really interesting thread guys, I don't have much to offer but I have enjoyed the posts I have read, nice & civilised with no derisive content, refreshing change. I believe you & Apple before you have the gist of a good theory here Kyoshi, it's tricky to determine which of these twists are going to be important. I'm getting the feeling that GRRM will actually leave a lot of these teasers unanswered & left to the readers interpretation of the dreams.

The only issue I have is why Theon would have a prophetic dream? perhaps the severe trauma he has endured triggered something (or maybe it's Weirwood induced) Barring that the other theory about him dreaming about himself (apologies to that poster, can't recall the name) also gives a different but totally credible insight for this too.

What I really like about Robb's appearance in Theon's dream is that it can be prophetic - Robb will die - but it can also be a manifestation of Theon's unacknowledged guilt: His failure to win the Ironborn over and his subsequent betrayal of Robb left Robb bereft and deeply wounded, both emotionally (Robb had trusted him and wanted to make him an ally instead of a hostage) and politically - Robb had lost his own castle, the centre of his power as a king, and had also lost his brothers as well as other people he had trusted and loved.

I think Jaime's dream should not be linked to the ones Jon or Theon were dreaming, but to Ned's feverish dream of the ToJ.

I've thought of that, too, but the only connection is that some of the characters present in the two dreams are the same, which is a sort of connection, but not the kind of connection that we have been exploring here, i.e. the dreams being different parts of the same shared dream. Also, Ned's ToJ-dream recalls past events, while Jaime's has relevance to Jaime's present and, I believe, future. Ned is focused on Lyanna, while the three other dreams - Jon's, Theon's and Jaime's - focus on similar issues, as mentioned above, like father-son relationship, guilt and betrayal, and they all reflect on important changes in the characters' present life, all of them have direwolves etc. Besides, Jaime's dream has clear parallels with Jon's - both of them are going downwards, to an underground place, both of them are afraid of what they would find there, both of them think of Ned Stark (who is actually present in Theon's dream), both of them feel abandoned by their family members, and so on. It is also important that Jame's dream is a weirwood dream, while Ned's is not, Theon and Jon are also in places where the weirwood connection (the power of the Old Gods) is strong, so the dreams are likely to come from the "same source", while Ned's dream is based primarily on his memories.

It hit me hard last night that Jaime's direwolf is Lady. Besides hit time with Brienne, it seems that the major factor driving Jaime's change of persona is the search for Sansa. The fact that he is surrounded by ghosts with Brienne as his protector seems to be a measure of how much his life hinges upon her...which in turn depends on her ability to uphold her oath to Cat.

Theon swore to serve with Robb as a brother, a choice that Cat took from Jon. So it only seems fitting that Grey Wind stare daggers through Theon as he walks through the doors. The RW was bad, but seems pretty cut & dry politics compared to what Theon reportedly did at awful to Bran &Rickon.

Jon has never had the chance to "prove his worth", at least to family/the Starks. He was sent to the wall, essentially by Cat, rather than stay with Robb. Ultimately, I doubt it would have made any difference if Jon were with Robb, but the fact that he wasn't & is essentially rudderless sets the stage for the crypts of WF. The wolves of Wf are calling to each of them. For Theon, I think it does foreshadow doom, for Jon, identity, & for Jaime, a second chance at judgment in the eyes of the Old Gods.

Another layer for Jon's dream in the crypts may be coming... We know he's been stabbed and lost consciousness. Few actually believe his storyline is ended, but assume he'll warg into Ghost while his body is in a coma. In that coma though he might revisit the crypt dream, believing himself to be dead, but is told by the dead that his place isn't with them... because he isn't dead.

I thought it might be useful to have the following quotes here:

1. When the Direwolves were Found

…That was when Jon reappeared on the crest of the hill before them. He waved and shouted down at them. “Father, Bran, come quickly, see what Robb has found!” Then he was gone again.

Jory rode up beside them. “Trouble, my lord?”

“Beyond a doubt,” his lord father said. “Come, let us see what mischief my sons have rooted out now.” He sent his horse into a trot. Jory and Bran and the rest came after.

They found Robb on the riverbank north of the bridge, with Jon still mounted beside him. The late summer snows had been heavy this moonturn. Robb stood knee-deep in white, his hood pulled back so the sun shone in his hair. He was cradling something in his arm, while the boys talked in hushed, excited voices.

The riders picked their way carefully through the drifts, groping for solid footing on the hidden, uneven ground. Jory Cassel and Theon Greyjoy were the first to reach the boys. Greyjoy was laughing and joking as he rode. Bran heard the breath go out of him. “Gods!” he exclaimed, struggling to keep control of his horse as he reached for his sword.

Jory’s sword was already out. “Robb, get away from it!” he called as his horse reared under him.

Robb grinned and looked up from the bundle in his arms. “She can’t hurt you,” he said. “She’s dead, Jory.”

Bran was afire with curiosity by then. He would have spurred the pony faster, but his father made them dismount beside the bridge and approach on foot. Bran jumped off and ran.

By then Jon, Jory, and Theon Greyjoy had all dismounted as well. “What in the seven hells is it?” Greyjoy was saying.

“A wolf,” Robb told him.

“A freak,” Greyjoy said. “Look at the size of it.”

Bran’s heart was thumping in his chest as he pushed through a waist-high drift to his brothers’ side.

Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed in its shaggy grey fur, and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman’s perfume. Bran glimpsed blind eyes crawling with maggots, a wide mouth full of yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony, twice the size of the largest hound in his father’s kennel.

“It’s no freak,” Jon said calmly. “That’s a direwolf. They grow larger than the other kind.”

Theon Greyjoy said, “There’s not been a direwolf sighted south of the Wall in two hundred years.”

“I see one now,” Jon replied.

Bran tore his eyes away from the monster. That was when he noticed the bundle in Robb’s arms. He gave a cry of delight and moved closer. The pup was a tiny ball of grey-black fur, its eyes still closed. It nuzzled blindly against Robb’s chest as he cradled it, searching for milk among his leathers, making a sad little whimpery sound. Bran reached out hesitantly. “Go on,” Robb told him. “You can touch him.”

Bran gave the pup a quick nervous stroke, then turned as Jon said, “Here you go.” His half brother put a second pup into his arms. “There are five of them.” Bran sat down in the snow and hugged the wolf pup to his face. Its fur was soft and warm against his cheek.

“Direwolves loose in the realm, after so many years,” muttered Hullen, the master of horse. “I like it not.”

“It is a sign,” Jory said.

Father frowned. “This is only a dead animal, Jory,” he said. Yet he seemed troubled. Snow crunched under his boots as he moved around the body. “Do we know what killed her?”

“There’s something in the throat,” Robb told him, proud to have found the answer before his father even asked. “There, just under the jaw...

His father knelt and groped under the beast’s head with his hand. He gave a yank and held it up for all to see. A foot of shattered antler, tines snapped off, all wet with blood.

A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared to speak. Even Bran could sense their fear, though he did not understand.

His father tossed the antler to the side and cleansed his hands in the snow. “I’m surprised she lived long enough to whelp,” he said. His voice broke the spell.

“Maybe she didn’t,” Jory said. “I’ve heard tales... maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came.”

“Born with the dead,” another man put in. “Worse luck.”

“No matter,” said Hullen. “They be dead soon enough too.”

Bran gave a wordless cry of dismay.

“The sooner the better,” Theon Greyjoy agreed. He drew his sword. “Give the beast here, Bran.”

The little thing squirmed against him, as if it heard and understood. “No!” Bran cried out fiercely. “It’s mine.”

“Put away your sword, Greyjoy,” Robb said. For a moment he sounded as commanding as their father, like the lord he would someday be. “We will keep these pups.”

“You cannot do that, boy,” said Harwin, who was Hullen’s son.

“It be a mercy to kill them,” Hullen said.

Bran looked to his lord father for rescue, but got only a frown, a furrowed brow. “Hullen speaks truly, son. Better a swift death than a hard one from cold and starvation.”

“No!” He could feel tears welling in his eyes, and he looked away. He did not want to cry in front of his father.

Robb resisted stubbornly. “Ser Rodrik’s red bitch whelped again last week,” he said. “It was a small litter, only two live pups. She’ll have milk enough.”

“She’ll rip them apart when they try to nurse.”

“Lord Stark,” Jon said. It was strange to hear him call Father that, so formal. Bran looked at him with desperate hope. “There are five pups,” he told Father. “Three male, two female.”

“What of it, Jon?”

“You have five trueborn children,” Jon said. “Three sons, two daughters. The direwolf is the sigil of your House. Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord.”

Bran saw his father’s face change, saw the other men exchange glances. He loved Jon with all his heart at that moment. Even at seven, Bran understood what his brother had done. The count had come right only because Jon had omitted himself. He had included the girls, included even Rickon, the baby, but not the bastard who bore the surname Snow, the name that custom decreed be given to all those in the north unlucky enough to be born with no name of their own.

Their father understood as well. “You want no pup for yourself, Jon?” he asked softly.

“The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark,” Jon pointed out. “I am no Stark, Father.”

Their lord father regarded Jon thoughtfully. Robb rushed into the silence he left. “I will nurse him myself, Father,” he promised. “I will soak a towel with warm milk, and give him suck from that.”

“Me too!” Bran echoed.

The lord weighed his sons long and carefully with his eyes. “Easy to say, and harder to do. I will not have you wasting the servants’ time with this. If you want these pups, you will feed them yourselves. Is that understood?”

Bran nodded eagerly. The pup squirmed in his grasp, licked at his face with a warm tongue.

“You must train them as well,” their father said. “You must train them. The kennelmaster will have nothing to do with these monsters, I promise you that. And the gods help you if you neglect them, or brutalize them, or train them badly. These are not dogs to beg for treats and slink off at a kick. A direwolf will rip a man’s arm off his shoulder as easily as a dog will kill a rat. Are you sure you want this?”

“Yes, Father,” Bran said.

“Yes,” Robb agreed.

“The pups may die anyway, despite all you do.”

“They won’t die,” Robb said. “We won’t let them die.”

“Keep them, then. Jory, Desmond, gather up the other pups. It’s time we were back to Winterfell.”

It was not until they were mounted and on their way that Bran allowed himself to taste the sweet air of victory. By then, his pup was snuggled inside his leathers, warm against him, safe for the long ride home. Bran was wondering what to name him.

Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.

“What is it, Jon?” their lord father asked.

“Can’t you hear it?”

Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

“There,” Jon said. He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge. They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel. A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.

“He must have crawled away from the others,” Jon said.

“Or been driven away,” their father said, looking at the sixth pup. His fur was white, where the rest of the litter was grey. His eyes were as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning. Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

“An albino,” Theon Greyjoy said with wry amusement. “This one will die even faster than the others.”

Jon Snow gave his father’s ward a long, chilling look. “I think not, Greyjoy,” he said. “This one belongs to me.”

--Bran, AGoT

I think everyone here is either dead or at the feast for the dead; perhaps with the exception of Bran, who has a feast scene of his own.

2. The Description of Shaggydog from Wiki

Shaggydog's fur is all black and his eyes are bright green.

The thing to note is that Shaggydog and Ghost are the only direwolves whose fur is not grey and whose eyes are not yellow. Shaggy and Ghost are like opposites of one another--one is black and the other, white. The mother direwolf is also described as having grey fur, as seen in Bran's first chapter. It seems at this point we can rule out only 2 of 7 direwolves.

3. Ned's Dream of the Tower of Joy (from Eddard, AGoT)

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.
In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory’s father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon’s squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man’s memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of the greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them... and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.” As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. “Eddard!” she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

“Lord Eddard,” Lyanna called again.

“I promise,” he whispered. “Lya, I promise"

“Lord Eddard,” a man echoed from the dark.

Groaning, Eddard Stark opened his eyes. Moonlight streamed through the tall windows of the Tower of the Hand.

Archived