who is the smartest character in terms of raw intellect

Godbreaker

The smartest person is the person able to use his, or her, intellect over a broad range of areas. To acquire knowledge is one thing; to use that knowledge in a productive (or destructive) way is another.

I'd say Tyrion and Varys , and perhaps LF have the best intellects and have the capability to use their intelligence. Aemon took himself out of contention when he rejected all power. He became a pure intellectual like Roderik the Reader. Samwell, too, seems to fit that category. Catlyn and Danaerys are both clever, but make decisions based on emotion and wishful thinking . Tyrion, too, has allowed his emotional turmoil to influence his intellect. Tywin was very intelligent but so emotionally cold that he couldn't read people and that turned out to be a fatal failing. Bran is smart, but inexperienced. Jon can think out of the box, but we don't know where that will take him. Arya is a tunnel thinker - she seems to only look straight ahead to her goal. This restricts her information flow. The more information, the more fuel for your choices.

I think LF may let his emotions destroy him.

Varys has the best potential, IMO. He has the most raw intellect, the most information, and he seems able to keep his emotions under check.

We actually shouldn't discount Pycelle. He's incredibly learned, maybe more than anyone alive.

It's important to note that the only person who discounts his ability is Cersei. Everyone else of any intelligence questions his motives, not his mind.

True. And if you look at the Cersei chapters in AFfC, it's clear he's probably the only one in her small council who was giving her good advice.

The problem with Maesters and their ilk, is that learning --especially learning in a formalized institution that intends to stuff its views down your throat-- is that it can sometimes keep one from using ones intellect if it contradicts the worldview they've been taught.

That being said my top choices are: the Blackfish who is the only one I know of who (without having recourse to his own spy network), seemed to think there was something wrong with Lysa's version of the story-- Verys Lf and Illyrio, who couldn't maintain their conspiracies in any other way, Bloodraven and Tyrion.

Honorable mentions to Sam the slayer, the Reader, and maesters Aemon and Luwin, who do seem to be able to think outside the box

Intelligence and knowledge are not the same thing ;) It matters not what you know if you do not know how to apply it. IMO many of the maesters are book-smart but otherwise not very clever at all.

Anyway, I'm rather surprised that no-one has yet suggested Mance Rayder - who is not only very intelligent, one of the few to have any appreciation of what is going on beyind the Wall, but knows what needs to be done and how to do it. Though I think we've yet to see exactly what his plans are about.

And I'm surprised no one agreed once you said it! Seconded.

We actually shouldn't discount Pycelle. He's incredibly learned, maybe more than anyone alive.

It's important to note that the only person who discounts his ability is Cersei. Everyone else of any intelligence questions his motives, not his mind.

Ha! I do think Pycelle is smart actually. To be able to survive 40 years in KL, close to power, around madness and scheming requires some survival intelligence. I just don't find him a brilliant mind such as Aemon, he seems an average maester and hasn't shared any interesting or new ideas, he's a follower of the Tywin's school of politics and that's about it. Cersei is a walking disaster, she's entertaining but I almost feel bad for her shortesightness

in a way Shitmouth is smarter than his fellow soldiers with knowing it.

He the only member of Gregor's men that Arya doesn't want dead. look like he might make it to the end all because he give prisoners extra bread if they ask.

Varys' ability to analyze foreign and domestic intel, and then to manipulate that intelligence to makes his superiors draw the conclusions he wants them to draw is quite remarkable. So I would say Varys. Clearly he would be an incredible maester, if he wanted to be.

I'm actually gonna say Catelyn. She strikes me as having less education that a maester or a man would have but it still very knowledgable about how the feudal society works and gives many excellent advices.

Yeah Catelyn was so smart she threw a temper tantrum that started the war of the 5 kings that directly caused the destruction of her family. No Catelyn was a dumb hothead just like her father and brother. If I had to rank her I would say she is one of the least intelligent people in the series. I can cite other examples of her stupidity if you like

Archived