College Basketball - Season Kick-off and Larry Brown Maths Edition

Ded As Ned

Not enough hoes when I was there. But really, is it possible for there to be too many hoes? I submit that it is not.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Watched the Cats in the Bahamas today. It was odd, I thought it was an exhibition type round-robin thing with a bunch of other schools too, but I guess it's only UK playing these semi-pro/pro teams for the next week. ESPN's coverage seems biased with their "Big Blue Bahamas Tour", but I guess I can't complain. The Cats looked good... particularly intrigued by Cal's use of the platoons; basically subbing 5 guys every 5 minutes or so, in effect playing two teams and wearing down Puerto Rico B team by the last 10 minutes. Could be effective in NCAA play. 5 games to go! Hope everyone has picked up the SEC network by next weekend ;)

Three games in and these Cats are looking good. I have a serious man-crush on Karl-Anthony Towns and I think if Marcus Lee sees more floor time this year, he needs to thank Tyler Ulis. Those two seem to be on the same wavelength already; seeing them run a lob play is a thing of beauty. Calipari says they haven't worked on defense at all yet, but they have looked really good playing zone. That kind of length and quickness at all five positions will make it very hard to score against, but I know that Cal prefers man-to-man.

I have two concerns at this point:

1) How is Calipari going to coach them? He has been pretty set on a 7 man rotation every year up to now, but like Ned said the platoon subbing has worked great. If he insists on narrowing his rotation as the year goes on, I think he's wasting the true talent of this team. There may be teams like Arizona out there who have more talent in their first five; but no one in the country can go 10-11 deep with UK.

2) Outside shooting. Aaron Harrison was huge for 5 straight games in March last year, and then reverted to form in one very important game. :crying: Devin Booker has a reputation as a stud shooter, but hasn't quite shown it yet. I do fear that this team could very well wind up like the 2010 team; the best team in the country that has a cold night against a wonky defensive scheme (SJohn... if you're reading this, I still harbor a grudge!!!) and goes home in the Elite 8.

Otherwise, this has been an absolute treat to have college basketball in August. These teams the Cats have been playing are legit teams. There are players on them that played at high major schools and have been playing for money ever since. The real test comes up Friday/Sunday when we play two games against the Dominican Republic National Team. That's a legit team that has some NBA journeymen on it. If we can hang with them, then I will feel justifiably elated about the progress of this team so far.

Agreed. Booker hasn't shown to be the dead eye shooter he's reputed to be... hoping it's just freshmen jitters.

I'll be curious to see how Cal works the rotation. At this point I feel like platooning and playing all out pressure for 40 minutes will wear down about anybody we face.

Watching Lee and Ulis is s thing of beauty. The real test comes against the DR, as Rhom mentioned.

Have not watched the game yet, but read a brief synopsis. Sounds like the Cats jumped out by 20 but then the Dominicans didn't go away.

This is a team that featured several high major alumni like Edgar Sosa and Francisco Garcia from UofL (Garcia currently plays for the Houston Rockets) and Eloy Vargas from Kentucky. It wasn't some push over squad. I recorded the game and look forward to watching it tonight. The Cats are getting some invaluable practice time on this trip.

REG! November 18! :box:

I've just started the game on DVR. The DR even has 2 Louisville players so I can hate on them. Nice to see Vargas again too!

Poythress is a beast!

Watching game 4: Cal is not a color commentator: To quote: "I love that, two guys banging each other". :facepalm:

Calipari v. Francesa on air. I wish I could listen to this right now - Cal gets hung up on!

Cal the Magician

Really was classic. Cal was an in-studio guest (Francesca of course was extra nice to his face) and then when he leaves the studio, he starts saying that Calipari is a great recruiter but not a great coach. Calipari heard him and then called in as "John from Kentucky." He's got this great fake voice at first and then drops it and says "Whaddya mean I can't coach? Why didn't you say that when I was sitting right there beside you?" :lol:

Did he really hang up on him? Maybe Cal just got cut off. All in all it really wasn't that bad what Mike was saying but it is funny that Calipari called up and said he changed his tune once he left. But Francesa and his show are just awful. I don't know how anybody listens to him, especially after the Mad Dog left.

• 4 weeks later...

And the annual Camp-Out-To-Be-First-In-Line-To-Camp-Out-For-Tickets-To-Practice Madness is on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvt3SHsSzk

Actually I'm a little late posting, they've been camping a few days at this point.

For my part, I tried getting them online when they went on sale 3 minutes ago. Before my browser could update at 7:00:30 am, already sold out. I get lucky every 3 years or so and am able to grab some online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#freebigbluemadness is trending nationwide currently.

The SEC Network has exclusive rights to the BBM and they have opted to show women's volleyball instead of BBM live. They are also refusing to release the rights to any local channels to carry it.

Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Quick! Denizens of Westeros! Call SEC Network today to express your displeasure!

1-888-549-3776 Option 3

The SEC Network has exclusive rights to the BBM and they have opted to show women's volleyball instead of BBM live. They are also refusing to release the rights to any local channels to carry it.

Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Quick! Denizens of Westeros! Call SEC Network today to express your displeasure!

1-888-549-3776 Option 3

What option is it to keep Women's Volleyball on that night? (In all honesty that's probably my second favorite sport)

Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

1-888-549-3776 Option 3

:lol: Sorry y'all, I know how much BBM means to your fanbase but there's a delicious hilarity to this situation for the rest of us.

What option is it to keep Women's Volleyball on that night? (In all honesty that's probably my second favorite sport)

It's not my second favorite sport but it is a lot of fun to watch. I found myself watching the end of A&M/Florida Sunday afternoon while waiting on a replay of the Ole Miss football game (and in doing so, ignoring the NFL because whatever game was on at the time was dull as hell).

Supposedly the SEC main office has fielded over 5,000 calls just today regarding #freebigbluemadness. Honestly I find most of it boring after the big intro and state of the Nation address, if I'm being honest. I'm sure ESPNU's coverage will give me the highlights I want as well as the look ins at other schools. If not there's always ESPN3. I'm still curious why they bought the rights for the entire live broadcast and then chose to not air it. I smell a Blue Devil alum in charge of programming. ;)

From a theoretical standpoint, I can understand wanting to establish a policy of favoring live sports over exhibition/practice events. But from a practical standpoint, I just can’t imagine putting a non-revenue sport on television over something like the Alabama Spring Game or BBM.

My step-daughter has started playing volleyball (now at the middle school level) and we have been attending some high school/small college matches and it is admittedly a lot of fun to watch. I just don't see it being a better ratings draw than BBM.

From a theoretical standpoint, I can understand wanting to establish a policy of favoring live sports over exhibition/practice events. But from a practical standpoint, I just can’t imagine putting a non-revenue sport on television over something like the Alabama Spring Game or BBM.

My step-daughter has started playing volleyball (now at the middle school level) and we have been attending some high school/small college matches and it is admittedly a lot of fun to watch. I just don't see it being a better ratings draw than BBM.

I can totally understand having a policy of live sports > exhibition/practice, but then why pay for the rights to air the exhibition? Crap I remember 8-9 years ago when I was living in Charlotte, NC I still watched BBM every year on the local Fox Sports Network down there. That's the thing I don't understand. Why buy them and not use them? Wonder if it came as part of a package deal or something? Whatever though, it's their money and I suppose buying rights also means the right to not show something. Hmmm... I wonder how much the television rights to keep Bobby Knight off television would cost me? :P

Another question... are the non-revenue sports now generating some of their own revenue now that sports like college volleyball, softball, soccer, etc. are getting televised more regularly? Curious how much money that is bringing in, even though I'm sure it's a drop in the bucket compared to the big 2.

Courier Journal had an interview with an ESPN VP today. Basically, he said that purchasing the rights to all the music used in the show is too expensive/complex for a national broadcast. I guess when it was just being broadcast locally/regionally it wasn't a major issue.

How they didn't realize this before purchasing the exclusive rights is beyond me. I'm still miffed about the deal.

Archived