Quentyn Martell ADWD (spoilers)

Malkorion

Ser Eric: that's a really nice point about the title of the chapter, "The Dragontamer." Thus far we've seen these non-name chapter titles used to indicate hidden identity or it would seem, a character who is on the way to claiming or reclaiming his or her identity. Thus, Quentyn's chapter headings might support either the theory that Paper Waver describes, that this was never Quentyn to begin with, the possibility that Quentyn's narrative arc is not yet complete (that is, that he's still alive), or the possibility that he never became the person that he might have become (that is, that he died before he could become the true Prince of Dorne). Incidentally, later in the Barristan chapter the Widower mockingly refers to Quentyn as "the dragonrider."

It's possible George was just being ironic when he came up with the name but it opens up the possibility that Quentyn did in fact succeed which is the point I was making. I for one am not prepared to say that Quentyn is 100% dead. It's still the most likely scenario but yeah...

It's possible George was just being ironic when he came up with the name but it opens up the possibility that Quentyn did in fact succeed which is the point I was making. I for one am not prepared to say that Quentyn is 100% dead. It's still the most likely scenario but yeah...

George was ironic with all of Quentyn's chapters. They were all named something he wasn't really, or something he was pretending to be.

The Merchant's Man when they were posing as wine merchants but they weren't really wine merchants

The Windblown when they posed as sellswords in the Windblown, but had no intention of honoring their contracts.

The Spurned Suitor when he was never truly a suitor, as Dany was already betrothed and there was never a contract between them.

The Dragontamer when he thought he could tame a dragon, but couldn't

You'll find it is impossible to argue about possibilities and impossibilities with people who need to be hit over the head with blunt text in order for them to accept something. It all stems from limited reading comprehension and a complete lack of critical thinking skills.

I was skeptical at first, but after reading the passages, I had to conceded that there is enough here to withhold judgement for the moment.

What would be the purpose of Quentyn being alive?

Having a dragon? Well, no one has the dragons, they're free, around, making chaos. If Quentyn actually succeeded on taming a dragon, why isn't he taking him to Dorne or anywhere safe along with his friends who could have been executed because of his own actions? Why would be the point of owning a dragon but letting him roam free with his brother, like nothing happened? The only option is that Quentyn was SO successful that he actually taught the dragon to "pretend" he was free for no one to notice something "odd". Not even Dany has been able to create such a bond between her and her dragons in so short time. All of a sudden, Quentyn is super Targ? Please, one thing is to have some suspension of disbelief, but this is plain ridiculous. There is no indication that Quentyn has ever planned to fake his own death except being part of a "bigger Dornish plan" that is sustained in a lot of fake assumptions and "what if"s.

Having a dragon? Well, no one has the dragons, they're free, around, making chaos. If Quentyn actually succeeded on taming a dragon, why isn't he taking him to Dorne or anywhere safe along with his friends who could have been executed because of his own actions? Why would be the point of owning a dragon but letting him roam free with his brother, like nothing happened? The only option is that Quentyn was SO successful that he actually taught the dragon to "pretend" he was free for no one to notice something "odd". Not even Dany has been able to create such a bond between her and her dragons in so short time. All of a sudden, Quentyn is super Targ? Please, one thing is to have some suspension of disbelief, but this is plain ridiculous. There is no indication that Quentyn has ever planned to fake his own death except being part of a "bigger Dornish plan" that is sustained in a lot of fake assumptions and "what if"s.

Already addressed: he's hurt, but still alive. He has not tamed anything, yet. Of course, he didn't plan on faking his own death -- he didn't know what was going to happen in the pit. The fake death ruse was simply the best way to hide the truth when Baristan and the BBs showed up.

Already addressed: he's hurt, but still alive. He has not tamed anything, yet. Of course, he didn't plan on faking his own death -- he didn't know what was going to happen in the pit. The fake death ruse was simply the best way to hide the truth when Baristan and the BBs showed up.

"They will not see. I can hear no more of this".

Whose purpose? Quentyn's? Clearly to impress Dany and his dad. GRRM? Surprise us.

... Why leave his companions behind? The most logical course of action would be for everyone to get the hell out of there. There's no one else in Meereen that Quentyn can trust so where is he? Who is nursing him back to health?

... Why leave his companions behind? The most logical course of action would be for everyone to get the hell out of there. There's no one else in Meereen that Quentyn can trust so where is he? Who is nursing him back to health?

Ashara

If we're sticking to the Dany parellel, Quentyn jumped on and Viserion rode off without his friends with Quentyn only in partial control of Viserion, just like Dany. And just like Dany, he's a bit injured, living off of Viserion's left-overs. And just like Dany, he's alone and isolated. And just like Dany, his friends are probably looking for him.

Ashara

:bang: :lmao:

If we're sticking to the Dany parellel, Quentyn jumped on and Viserion rode off without his friends with Quentyn only in partial control of Viserion, just like Dany. And just like Dany, he's a bit injured, living off of Viserion's left-overs. And just like Dany, he's alone and isolated. And just like Dany, his friends are probably looking for him.

What lol.

But why leave them behind? They could have fled the pyramid and went into hiding themselves. They didn't have to go with Quentyn but they don't need to stick around and get arrested either. No one has witnessed Quentyn escaping or someone riding Viserion. But there are tons of witnesses that saw Dany on Drogon's back

Again: why would Quentyn need to fake his death?

Gerris and Archie improvised after Quentyn flied away, half-unintentionally, on the back of a dragon. They had a dead body and one of the two thought to say that the dead one was in fact Quentyn.

I still don't really buy it, i think 99% Quentyn is dead but it is a plausible theory. For me the hard part to buy is that Quentyn actually managed to "steal" a dragon and survive while also being unnoticed.

But why leave them behind? They could have fled the pyramid and went into hiding themselves. They didn't have to go with Quentyn but they don't need to stick around and get arrested either. No one has witnessed Quentyn escaping or someone riding Viserion. But there are tons of witnesses that saw Dany on Drogon's back

Again: why would Quentyn need to fake his death?

Why leave them behind? Why did Dany leave Barristan behind? He jumped and Viserion flew away.

And Drink and Arch couldn't flee the pyramid. Only Quentyn knew the way out of the maze. This is one of the reasons why Drink's story of "the Windblown blew away" is bullshit.

Witnesses? It was the middle of the night and not a crowded stadium.

Why leave them behind? Why did Dany leave Barristan behind? He jumped and Viserion flew away.

And Drink and Arch couldn't flee the pyramid. Only Quentyn knew the way out of the maze. This is one of the reasons why Drink's story of "the Windblown blew away" is bullshit.

You're the one that does the Dornish Master plan videos (the reason I think this is at worst, plausible), correct?

You're the one that does the Dornish Master plan videos (the reason I think this is at worst, plausible), correct?

The videos are mine, yes.

Though, I can't take credit for the Quentyn is alive idea. That came from other people's hard work in the forums. I just tried to make it concise and fit into my greater Dornish Master Plan idea.

Why does Quentyn need to fake his death. There's so much on how he faked his death but no one has answered why.

The dragons were kept within the pyramid. Quentyn cannot jump on Viserion and fly away from that area. He would have to either ride Viserion as the dragon crab-walks out of the pyramid or follow the dragon on foot until they reach open air.

If Quentyn can do either of these things, his companions can surely follow him. There's no reason for them to stick around in the "maze". Even if they couldn't find the exit, they could easily retrace their steps or follow everyone else as they fled the pyramid in terror. The only reason his companions stayed behind is because Quentyn never left. He was burned and died three days after trying to capture the dragons.

Also: Either Quentyn has time to conspire with his friends or he "jumped and Viserion flew away".

You forget that Missandei entertained Quentyn for the three days he spent dying. Quentyn managed "tortured" words during this time. He might have been burnt to hell but he was obviously recognized as being Quentyn Martell.

Rhaegal and Viserion attacked populated pyramids. No one has recalled seeing a burned man riding either one of them.

Cliffs:
Quentyn-is-alive theories only exist to prove Quentyn is alive

Theory does not explain why he fakes his death

Theory does not explain why Viserion and Rhaegal are flying without riders

Theory does not explain why companions were left behind

Why does Quentyn need to fake his death. There's so much on how he faked his death but no one has answered why.

Let's keep in mind that Quentyn didn't fake his death. Drink and Arch told Barristan that Quentyn was dead. This is a subtle but important detail.

If Quentyn is alive, Drink and Arch and arch would understanably want to protect their friend.

Say they told Barristan "oh my gods, Quentyn rode off on a dragon!" What would Barristan do next? He would send Brazen Beasts to arrest Quentyn in his pyramid.

"Quentyn is dead" means no search.

Let's keep in mind that Quentyn didn't fake his death. Drink and Arch told Barristan that Quentyn was dead. This is a subtle but important detail.

If Quentyn is alive, Drink and Arch and arch would understanably want to protect their friend.

Say they told Barristan "oh my gods, Quentyn rode off on a dragon!" What would Barristan do next? He would send Brazen Beasts to arrest Quentyn in his pyramid.

"Quentyn is dead" means no search.

They wouldn't have to fake anything if they left the pyramid. There's no reason for them to stick around as I've explained in my previous post.

And why would Barristan send men to arrest a man... in control of a dragon...

Archived