People who don't care about "The Big Four"?

The Onion Sleight

I think most people have to like at least one of them to really care for the series at all, since they are so integral to the story. If you didn't like any of them, then you would be stuck reading about 75% of the story which you don't like.

I wouldn't say that. Because right now, none of them are really that integral to the main story. I'd say the first four books basically focused on whats going on in King's Landing, and only Tyrion was really involved in that. Jon, Arya and Dany haven't been important in that in the least.

And as a person who mostly cares about what goes on in King's Landing, I can safely say that I truly care for the series and don't really care for those four at all.

I've realized that I dislike reading about the heat! :D If we've been hanging out in Meereen or Dorne, I get really excited about a Theon or Jon chapter because it'll be snowing!

OMG!! That's great, maybe we can help each other through all of this!! :cheers: :lol:

~oogles your avi, I've missed it~

My enjoyment of the big four did changed over the years. At first, I used to just groan and roll my eyes at a Dany POV (In GOT) because I just wanted to know what was going on in Westeros. It's funny how much I enjoy those POVs of hers now. My main issue with Jon is......I adore him, but I just hate reading too much about the cold and the snow, go figure, LOL Arya is, and always will be, my girl. With Tyrion, I noticed in ASOS that he seemed too bitter and whiny, granted, he had reasons but I did get sick of his whining about being stuck as Master of Coin. Dude, it IS one of the most powerful positions in the kingdoms, get over it, LOL Now, though, I'm grateful for all the big four, I think, but obviously, with my dislike of too much detail of cold and snow and ice, I'm having issues with Winter Is Coming, LOL

That's interesting. I have had the exact opposite reaction w/Dany. I loved her, Stormborn that is, until her last chapter in Storm of Swords, then I was like? WTF, girlfriend, what are you doing?? And her Meereen story, I hated. I hated it as a reader, thought it was boring and it made me hate her as a character and stop wanting her to win back the IT.

Arya rules, and always will. Other than killing one of her siblings or a direwolf there is nothing I wouldn't forgive her for. And I would probably get over it if she offed Sansa, LOL.

I wouldn't say that. Because right now, none of them are really that integral to the main story. I'd say the first four books basically focused on whats going on in King's Landing, and only Tyrion was really involved in that. Jon, Arya and Dany haven't been important in that in the least.

And as a person who mostly cares about what goes on in King's Landing, I can safely say that I truly care for the series and don't really care for those four at all.

I seriously disagree that they aren't integral to the story. KL is most definitely not the only important place in the books. Jon and Dany have been very important to the story, since Jon is the one dealing with the Others and the Wall and Dany has friggen dragons. If anything, the political game in KL is simply a farce to show that the 'leaders' of the country are focused on the wrong thing, when they should be focusing on the real War to the North.

You don't have to like their stories, but you can't write them off as unimportant.

That's interesting. I have had the exact opposite reaction w/Dany. I loved her, Stormborn that is, until her last chapter in Storm of Swords, then I was like? WTF, girlfriend, what are you doing?? And her Meereen story, I hated. I hated it as a reader, thought it was boring and it made me hate her as a character and stop wanting her to win back the IT.

Arya rules, and always will. Other than killing one of her siblings or a direwolf there is nothing I wouldn't forgive her for. And I would probably get over it if she offed Sansa, LOL.

I didn't have anything against her, I even liked her. I just didn't like the big jumps out of Westeros at first. She felt so disconnected to the main story, never realizing that it would be even more so 5 full books later, LOL I do find some of Dany's story much more tolerable in rereads, she seems an interesting counterpoint to Cersei in her ruling technique. Still, too many surrounding her are boring. I don't even mind the 'make a hat' thing, I think it's kind of cute.

I'm with you on Arya. I'm hopeful that regardless of how many suspect her fate is sealed in the long run, she may be the Westerosi equivalent of a child soldier and get a chance at a future.

ETA: I'm evil, I'd enjoy some of the squealing around here if she killed her sister, LOL

I didn't have anything against her, I even liked her. I just didn't like the big jumps out of Westeros at first. She felt so disconnected to the main story, never realizing that it would be even more so 5 full books later, LOL I do find some of Dany's story much more tolerable in rereads, she seems an interesting counterpoint to Cersei in her ruling technique. Still, too many surrounding her are boring. I don't even mind the 'make a hat' thing, I think it's kind of cute.

I'm with you on Arya. I'm hopeful that regardless of how many suspect her fate is sealed in the long run, she may be the Westerosi equivalent of a child soldier and get a chance at a future.

ETA: I'm evil, I'd enjoy some of the squealing around here if she killed her sister, LOL

I was always entranced by the Valaryian/Targaryen back story and the tragic underpinnings of her/Viserys situation, so found it interesting until the mud bog of Meereen, and now, I've had it with her. The only thing that made Tyrion's pity party in Dance at all tolerable was the Valryian ruins back story part that we got from his Viking River Cruise through Essos.

Ha, yes, I am evil like that too.

I was always entranced by the Valaryian/Targaryen back story and the tragic underpinnings of her/Viserys situation, so found it interesting until the mud bog of Meereen, and now, I've had it with her. The only thing that made Tyrion's pity party in Dance at all tolerable was the Valryian ruins back story part that we got from his Viking River Cruise through Essos.

Oh, man, I love ruins, anytime GRRM sticks them in. Trundle me past every burned-out lichen-dripping castle on the whole planet, please, and tell me allll the back story. I'm such a sucker for it. :wub:

I've realized that I dislike reading about the heat! :D If we've been hanging out in Meereen or Dorne, I get really excited about a Theon or Jon chapter because it'll be snowing!

It's weird but I completely agree with that. There's something really comforting about the bleak, Northern settings.

I seriously disagree that they aren't integral to the story. KL is most definitely not the only important place in the books. Jon and Dany have been very important to the story, since Jon is the one dealing with the Others and the Wall and Dany has friggen dragons. If anything, the political game in KL is simply a farce to show that the 'leaders' of the country are focused on the wrong thing, when they should be focusing on the real War to the North.

You don't have to like their stories, but you can't write them off as unimportant.

It's not that they're unimportant but KL is definitely the most important setting. There are some chapters with small council meetings in them where you're bombarded with so much information.

It's weird but I completely agree with that. There's something really comforting about the bleak, Northern settings.

It might be because it's hot out where I live. :D I wonder if I'd feel differently if I were doing this reread project in January.

The more the history was told during Dany's travels, yes, the more interesting I would find it. Usually in my initial read of any book or story, I'm a person who just wants to find out.....what happens next? But, being a history geek, even a fake history geek, LOL, things like Dany's POVs and yes, Tyrion's ADWDs POVs, will pique my interest. Dany was just partly a good POV to encounter and talk myself into waiting til the next day to read, as she could only answer 'what happens next?' to a small segment of characters.

I do think Tyrion seemed to be coming out of his pity party by the end of ADWD, I'm hopeful on that score, anway. Elsewise, I'll have to get my evil on and find something else to help me get through his POVs again, LOL

Oh, man, I love ruins, anytime GRRM sticks them in. Trundle me past every burned-out lichen-dripping castle on the whole planet, please, and tell me allll the back story. I'm such a sucker for it. :wub:

ITA, just reading about the ruined Valyrian Roads makes me wish I could go to Italy and see The Appian Way, and that's just for starters. My family and I always start arguing over which countries to see on a European trip, LOL

The more the history was told during Dany's travels, yes, the more interesting I would find it. Usually in my initial read of any book or story, I'm a person who just wants to find out.....what happens next? But, being a history geek, even a fake history geek, LOL, things like Dany's POVs and yes, Tyrion's ADWDs POVs, will pique my interest. Dany was just partly a good POV to encounter and talk myself into waiting til the next day to read, as she could only answer 'what happens next?' to a small segment of characters.

I do think Tyrion seemed to be coming out of his pity party by the end of ADWD, I'm hopeful on that score, anway. Elsewise, I'll have to get my evil on and find something else to help me get through his POVs again, LOL

Yes, he's coming back to himself, but while I haven't turned against him to the same level I have Dany...I'm sort of over him too. Even though Tywin was a bad guy and bad father, and Book Shae was a really bad person...for fuck's sake, express some remorse! when you murder two people for basically back talking you and scamming you! And, I somewhat felt he had gone through a few too many adventures. Goes to Essos. Meets Illyrio. Meets Aegon. Falls in the River. Gets Abducted. Then Pirates. Then Slavery....and Sellwords in there somewhere I forgot where...

So, in terms of the "Big Four" I am rooting for Arya and Jon, as the true Stark loyalist that I am, LOL. and the other two, I don't much care about.

ITA, just reading about the ruined Valyrian Roads makes me wish I could go to Italy and see The Appian Way, and that's just for starters. My family and I always start arguing over which countries to see on a European trip, LOL

Everyone should go to Italy. Rome cannot be bested, not even Paris can compete with the crazy juxtaposition of 2000 year old random columns and excavations and ruins just hanging out here and there....amid the modern world.

I'm evil, I'd enjoy some of the squealing around here if she killed her sister, LOL

You guys are so bad. She can kill show Sansa (put the poor thing out of her misery). But there will be squealing if she kills book Sansa.

Yes, he's coming back to himself, but while I haven't turned against him to the same level I have Dany...I'm sort of over him too. Even though Tywin was a bad guy and bad father, and Book Shae was a really bad person...for fuck's sake, express some remorse! when you murder two people for basically back talking you and scamming you! And, I somewhat felt he had gone through a few too many adventures. Goes to Essos. Meets Illyrio. Meets Aragon. Falls in the River. Gets Abducted. Then Pirates. Then Slavery....and Sellwords in there somewhere I forgot where...

So, in terms of the "Big Four" I am rooting for Arya and Jon, as the true Stark loyalist that I am, LOL. and the other two, I don't much care about.

LOL, yeah, Tyrion Does Everything.........everything, rme. It does get to be a bit much. I do think he felt some remorse, that was the reason he was such a miserable shit in the last book, but no, it wasn't articulated enough. That would get in the way of all those adventures, ya know? ;)

I'm more team everyone, but yes, heavily Stark. At this point, I just want to know what the eff happens and how many of them do survive to the end.

I lost interest in Dany chapters when Drogo died, and since she banished Jorah I fucking hate her.

Tyrion and Arya I love them since the beginning, and i've got mixed feelings about Jon...

Anyway my Big Four would be the Lannister Brothers and the Stark Sisters.

I always liked Dany no matter what, I don't know what it is. I get the criticisms, I just like her anyway.

I do, too. I do think some of the criticism is about bias for other characters. Some of it is also over the top, but that's par for the course on the internet. My main thing with POV choices and what I enjoy and when are usually about just finding out 'what happens next.' That IS all I want at the moment anyway.

Archived