red comet in ACOK who got it right

jon rhaegar  stark

If the comet means nothing then the prophecy means nothing also contrary to what a number of characters in the book think including Aemon among others. Even Marwyn is prepared to put enough stock in it to set out for Meereen to be Dany's maester. (Though in his case, it is learning what Aemon said about it that leads him to do so.) Also the comet was visible for at least a turn of the moon or longer. We first hear of it in the last chapters of AGoT and it is still said to be in the sky quite a ways into ACoK. Is it truly unreasonable to expect people to check the books before posting about something like this?

I just want to point out that the comet was in the sky before the dragons hatched.

They still portend the return of dragons. She wouldn't have hatched them if she hadn't seen the comet, so they directly affect her decision making.

If the comet means nothing then the prophecy means nothing also contrary to what a number of characters in the book think including Aemon among others. Even Marwyn is prepared to put enough stock in it to set out for Meereen to be Dany's maester. (Though in his case, it is learning what Aemon said about it that leads him to do so.)

Prophecy is again open to interpretation. Aemon only thought she was TPtwP because all other targaryen were dead by that point. I personally am amongst those who believe there's something more sinister going on and return of dragons, their relationship with magic etc means something more than just a messianic prophecy

i will answer to the bolded parts and other things about your views on prophecy you are entitled to your opinion and for each their own

Aemon thought that because Dragons are born again is the evidence and still needed two more heads to fulfill the prophecy(for that i may agree that Aemon was mistaken that he was the only Targ left other than Danny)

from danny in Got

for me she actually sees that it as a sign that what she is doing was correct and it will succeed and she succeeded in what she wanted to do and the birth of dragon is followed by the Bleeding Star not the other way around if you take the prophecy in account

and note that name Dragons tail was the one which was called by many people like MEl and Old nan and small folks of KL all assuming that it shows the coming of Dragons and Danny herself called that as Dragons tail as well

I kind of remember maester Luwin seeing the comet in the last of Bran's chapter in AGOT shortly after Ned's death. It is not known if Dany saw it first, but my crackpot theory of the day is that the comet is the chariot that leads to the frozen hell reserved for the Starks.

I just checked my book. Dany DID see the comet. It was what told her to go forward with the ritual, so, it was definitely the announce of dragons.

It is the comet that Rhaegar expected but did not live to see.

He actually saw a comet when he was still alive and also thought it was an omen. Looks like it wasn't or it meant something else he didn't see.

I kind of remember maester Luwin seeing the comet in the last of Bran's chapter in AGOT shortly after Ned's death. It is not known if Dany saw it first, but my crackpot theory of the day is that the comet is the chariot that leads to the frozen hell reserved for the Starks.

A chariot of fire to the frozen hell? :lol:

I just checked my book. Dany DID see the comet. It was what told her to go forward with the ritual, so, it was definitely the announce of dragons.

That's not really how it works. Ritual fails? Comet still there. Ritual not taken? Comet still there. Ritual brings back one dragon? Comet still there.

The comet isn't relevant to the ritual. It helped Dany make her choice, because she's a superstitious 13 year old girl, but it didn't cause the ritual to succeed (unless you have text to prove it), and it didn't occur as a result of the ritual. Ergo, it wasn't the announcement of the dragons. Dany herself doesn't consider it an announcement of dragons, she considers it as:

It is the herald of my coming, she told herself as she gazed up into the night sky with wonder in her heart. The gods have sent it to show me the way.

And later on she even goes on about how the comet is there to mock her. The comet is just that, a comet. Every PoV and half the characters in them all have their own interpretation of what the comet does, and to be honest quite a few of those interpretations have some truth to them. That's the nature of making this kind of prophecy.

It is Metal Hurlant. Doesn't Westeros seem more exciting with heavy metal anyway?

Jk that'd be terrible, but I bet the wildlings would be the death metal guys, or the Bolton's. I think its a warning, and I'd hate to agree with the Faith but I do think it signifies winter is here.

In the show the tail that I assume is the blade of the sword points north, may be a hint that swords will be of better use up there then the rest of the continent pretty soon. If your a fan of Jon is the NK 2.0 I think it coincides with him getting to the wall.. The cosmos is telling everyone to go kill him lol. Or re-enforce the wall and help Jon.

I really liked the comet thing. Nevermind what it really meant in that world of magic, it was still such a great observation on people interpreting random events in a selfserving way and confirming whatever they want to believe .

Me too. Correlation does not equal causation. There are comets, they happen. Things also happen. When 2 things happen at the same time, superstitious minds hook them up. It's human nature. The interpretations say a lot about the interpreters.

sorry but it was from the chapter in ACoK only he sees that ...its exact appearence is first known through Danny's chapters

That's not really how it works. Ritual fails? Comet still there. Ritual not taken? Comet still there. Ritual brings back one dragon? Comet still there.

The comet isn't relevant to the ritual. It helped Dany make her choice, because she's a superstitious 13 year old girl, but it didn't cause the ritual to succeed (unless you have text to prove it), and it didn't occur as a result of the ritual. Ergo, it wasn't the announcement of the dragons. Dany herself doesn't consider it an announcement of dragons, she considers it as:

And later on she even goes on about how the comet is there to mock her. The comet is just that, a comet. Every PoV and half the characters in them all have their own interpretation of what the comet does, and to be honest quite a few of those interpretations have some truth to them. That's the nature of making this kind of prophecy.

i agree the comet could be irrelevant to the ritual ...even if there was no comet she could have gone through with ritual

but i dont agree with you on Danny when she saw the comet her first thought was

Dany looked and saw it, low in the east. The first star was a comet, burning red. Bloodred; fire red; the dragon’s tail. She could not have asked for a stronger sign

so that was the first reaction from her that it was a sign showing that what she was doing will succeed

I'm guessing the random acolyte in the Citadel got it right, that it was just a ball of dust, rock and frozen gases making its journey across Galaxos which makes a pass across the sky once every how many years.

Not that his colleagues would have believed him, though..

I'm guessing the random acolyte in the Citadel got it right, that it was just a ball of dust, rock and frozen gases making its journey across Galaxos which makes a pass across the sky once every how many years.

Not that his colleagues would have believed him, though..

when did this happen

Jon Snow is the only person who did not speculate about the comet.

oh great and its true he is the only one who didnt speculate about it how did i never saw that one ...thanks paper waver ...i guess comet was not visible North of the Wall...but he did speculate about dragons and lightbringer and AAr

oh great and its true he is the only one who didnt speculate about it how did i never saw that one ...thanks paper waver ...i guess comet was not visible North of the Wall...but he did speculate about dragons and lightbringer and AAr

The comet was visible north of the wall.

Archived