The Reynes Killed Tywins Grandfather: A Personal Reason Behind his Hatred of Them?

KingMaekarWasHere

Hey everybody. Please read this if you haven't before continuing. http://www.historyofwesteros.com/concarolinas-westerlands-reading/

Now Denys Marbrand was Tywins maternal grandfather and he was also the Marbrand knight at Dunk and Egg's "Tourney at Ashford" from the Hedge Knight. (interesting) Now if you read the above article then you know that Denys was killed by the Reynes who were gathering power against the Lannisters and the Marbrands. Now we know that some say that Tywin smiled when Castamere was taken, destroyed, could it have solely been because the family embarrassed Tywin or was it because they had killed his mother's father who seems to have been a very good man? Your thoughts please.

Tywin's hatred of Ellyn Tarbeck and the Reynes was more due to Tytos's weakness towards them than to this episode, specifically. It was not without reason that he slapped his daddy after Genna's betrothal to Emmon Frey, and the Reynes/Tarbeck's mockery.

Tywin simply wanted to return his family name to preeminence.. When Lord Tion Lannister married Lady Ellyn Reyne. the whole Lannister-Reyne feud started.. Lady Ellyn ruled Casterly Rock holding balls here and there and filling the seat of Lannister power with Reynes, all of this happening with Lord Tion had his eyes closed on his wife's action.. Now when Lord Tion died without an heir, Lady Ellyn grew frantic as she wanted to keep her status and wealth and Lady of Casterly Rock, so she decided to seduce the next lord, Tion's younger brother Tytos.. Now, Lord Tytos was unable to "perfrom" probably intimidated my Lady Ellyn and he confessed what happened to his wife, Lady Jeyne Marbrand, who later told Tytos' father Gerold.. Lord Gerold now wanted Ellyn Reyne out of their lives so he ordered her to marry the old and impoverished Walderan Tarbeck, Lord of Tarbeck Hall.. When Ellyn Reyne, now Ellyn Tarbeck gave birth, she named them after Lannisters to add insult such as naming her daughters Sarelle and Rohanne, after Gerold's niece who was said he ordered to be murdered and Gerold's second wife who just suddenly vanished..

Lady Ellyn Tarbeck made use of Lod Tytos weak rule to impose her power and widespread corruption occurred throughout the Westerlands thanks to the aid of her brothers, Lord Roger Reyne, known as The Red Lion of Castamere and the smooth talking brother Raynard Reyne.. This made House Tarbeck very rich, rising form initially owning just 20 to 500 household knights in just a few years.. Tytos' weak rule made others think that the Lannisters are a weak and very opulent house, and Lord Tytos even allowed himself to be mocked openly at court, sending gifts to everyone, even to his detractors.. When Lord Tytos announced that his eldest daughter Genna was to be married to Walder Frey's second son, Roger Reyne angrily left Casterly Rock and Ellyn Reyne-Lannister-Tarbeck bursted into laughter.. further adding insults to House Lannister..

Tywin simply to re-instate their family's place as the premiere family in the region.. and he made an example with the Reynes and Tarbecks..

That psychopath giving a damn about his grandfather? Good one.

Even psychopaths have families and use their family's deaths as excuses to kill. And we don't know if Tywin was a psycho or if he had a loving connection with the Marbrand side. Just because you chose to do evil doesn't make you a psycho, it just may make you evil. Now in our own world psychos likely do commit most evil crimes, Westeros is kind of different though I'm thinking. Only people like Gregor and Ramsay are truly psychos. The rest who are evil, may just be evil because they want to be.

The death of Tywin's grandfather seems like one chapter in a long struggle. It isn't irrelevant exactly, and it may have influenced Tywin's decisions to some degree, but if it haden't happened, Tywin would probably have killed the Reynes anyway.

Indeed. That was all Aerys.

And hence I will need to see more proof that Tywin was a psycho. Seems to me that he was more of the cold, calculating type. He is arguably not as bad as Randyl Tarly, Tarly would have killed his own son. Tywin would never do that to family, he didn't even harm his own father except for the slap.

Sure he did...because killing his grandfather is an offense to him and his ego name.

Why do you hate Tywin so much?? Of course he care about his family, he started a war because of Tyrion and crushed the Tarbeck because his father was too weak to do it.

Tywin is a great lord who cares about his family and wouldn't let anyone harm them.

Funny how you guys like to point out of cruel he was because of what he did to Tysha but never talk about Tywin gave power to Tyrion making him hand of the king during ACOK.

Tywin can do horrible things to protect his family, in Tywin's mind he had to do something to not let Tyrion run away with a commoner.

And before people start to talk about "rape apologies" i'm not saying he was right to do it, i'm saying he did not do it because he is an evil psycopath who like to rape little girls like Gregor Clegane.

He had a purpose behind it, it's still terrible but you cannot compare this with Gregor who rape and murder daily.

That psychopath giving a damn about his grandfather? Good one.

Nah, the point that he would be a psychopath kind of ruins the rest of the line.

Sure he did...because killing his grandfather is an offense to him and his ego name.

No, because revenge is a virtue in Westeros and since Tywin values family he isn't going to let someone who both breaks the peace with outright murder and to boot kills his grandfather get away with it. Gods know, I'd be pretty vicious to anyone who killed my grandfather.

Archived