NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

Loved this tweet:

Classic U.S. moment: European journalist to DeMarcus Cousins: "Do you know where Slovenia is?" Cousins: "No, do you know where Alabama is?"

— Brian Mahoney (@briancmahoney) September 8, 2014

:lmao:

Just keep being you, Boogie. Just keep being you.

As a European, I agree actually, and like Cousins' answer. Of course he doesn't know where it's located.

Though I feel compelled to say that as someone who works with Americans on a day to day basis, you can meet a lot of people who are staggeringly unaware of what Europe consists of, or the countries that they have never even heard of.

Seems worthwhile sharing this series of maps again from last year, where Brits were asked to label the states. Some were pretty close, but a lot had very little clue what most of them were; and that's fine, it has no impact on their daily lives, same as the location of most European countries has on Americans.

It's a fair question to ask. I've often wondered why Americans don't take this tack more often in these situations.

ST

Probably because some of them are trying to play the PC card and some of them don't have the snark gene. I loved his response and do wish more would come back with something like that.

Maybe they need Sir Charles to give the "how to give an interview" class at rookie camp.

Well if the reporter knows anything the obvious answer is yes.

Yes the reporter knows where Alabama is? I highly doubt an European reporter who's primary beat is not the US would have any reason to know where that is. Hell, sometimes I get Bama and Mississippi confused! :lol:

Slovenia crushed like a bug. It's all so easy. Rose looked alive tonight for the very first time.

DeRozan is a magnificent player as well, Toronto is lucky to have him. I also wonder if the Cousins/Gay duo won't make the Kings better this year.

Slovenia crushed like a bug. It's all so easy. Rose looked alive tonight for the very first time.

DeRozan is a magnificent player as well, Toronto is lucky to have him. I also wonder if the Cousins/Gay duo won't make the Kings better this year.

That's a good point actually. If even two years ago you had to pick the two NBA franchises with the most Team USA players on them, Golden State and Sacramento would probably be pretty low on the list. But in 2014, it's a reality!

ST

Seeing Spain go out against France like that was remarkable, a great game to see.

Pau Gasol was the only Spaniard firing on all cylinders ( not that he wasn't already by far the best player on the team before that). Very poor game from Rubio, Ibaka and Marc Gasol in particular.

• 3 weeks later...

So the first predictions from the Las Vegas bookies for next year look like this:

West;

Thunder
Spurs
Clippers
Warriors
Mavericks/Rockets ( exact same forecast)
Grizzlies/Portland ( exact same forecast)
Phoenix
New Orleans
Denver
Lakers
Kings
Jazz
Timberwolves

East:

Cavaliers
Bulls
Raptors
Wizards
Charlotte
Heat
Nets
Knicks/Hawks ( exact same forecast)
Pistons
Pacers
Magic
Celtics
Bucks
76’ers

Anyone disagree with these?

As crazy as it sounds, I think I like the Sixers better than the Celtics and Bucks. Not that the bottom matters. :dunno: I'm not sure what the Pacers have left that will get them up off the mat either.

I think Phoenix and New Orleans are on the way up, but that's a steep hill to climb. I want to say they could pass Memphis or Houston, but those are solid teams too.

I think the Hawks are a bit low. People always overlook them, but they do have Al Horford returning, and he should make a big difference. Plus Mike Budenholzer did an incredible job with them last year and they've got good roster continuity. I reckon they've got a reasonable chance of finishing above at least one of the 'old fogie teams' (eg. Nets and Heat) if not both.

In the West, I'd put the Rockets and Mavericks above the Warriors, I think. Coaching turnover can be disruptive and I suspect it will take them a while to properly implement Steve Kerr's new schemes, probably costing them a few games. In the West, it doesn't take much.

I also think the Pelicans might sneak into the playoffs this year. Picking up Asik is HUGE for them - I can't see anyone scoring on a Davis/Asik frontcourt. That tandem alone is going to win them quite a few games. Their season last year was derailed by injuries, and as a young team I'd expect most of their players to get slightly better this season. This might be the year where Davis makes it to the stratosphere (especially if they actually put some games of his on TV this time around!).

ST

I think the Hawks are a bit low. People always overlook them, but they do have Al Horford returning, and he should make a big difference. Plus Mike Budenholzer did an incredible job with them last year and they've got good roster continuity. I reckon they've got a reasonable chance of finishing above at least one of the 'old fogie teams' (eg. Nets and Heat) if not both.

I think the Hawks are good, largely because they should have Horford back, and generally just have a very decent team. It seems unreasonable not to put them in the playoffs and at the same time I think it's a very close group that they're in.

I think it will be Cavs, Bulls, Wizards, Heat, Raptors, Hornets, Nets and Knicks myself. I think the Heat will be better than expected and likely top 4 or 5 still. I think the Raptors come down just a bit. The Nets have not improved but should have Lopez fit at last, and I see no way that they or the Knicks fail to make the playoffs. There's also the Pistons lurking and they will be closer under van Gundy, but still fall short imo.

In the West, I'd put the Rockets and Mavericks above the Warriors, I think. Coaching turnover can be disruptive and I suspect it will take them a while to properly implement Steve Kerr's new schemes, probably costing them a few games. In the West, it doesn't take much.

I also think the Pelicans might sneak into the playoffs this year. Picking up Asik is HUGE for them - I can't see anyone scoring on a Davis/Asik frontcourt. That tandem alone is going to win them quite a few games. Their season last year was derailed by injuries, and as a young team I'd expect most of their players to get slightly better this season. This might be the year where Davis makes it to the stratosphere (especially if they actually put some games of his on TV this time around!).

ST

The Pelicans are a team I also expect so much of. I think they will end up finishing 9th, just ahead of Phoenix, but outside the playoffs. This because the group ahead of them is just so unbelievably good. I'm not even so sure the Clippers cruise to that 3rd spot. Portland will not be worse, most likely, and if that is the case they are certainly good enough to qualify. Memphis hasn't gotten worse and are sturdy like no one else.

I have Grizzlies/Mavs for 4th/5th with a chance for 3rd. Rockets are the team I could see dropping out of playoffs.

The Hawks were sitting 3rd in the east when Horford went down. Then they were truly awful for a while before rebounding in the end of season. I don´t see how they miss the playoffs in the east if they stay healthy.

BTW I really liked how Suns dealt with the Morris twins.

I think the Hawks are good, largely because they should have Horford back, and generally just have a very decent team. It seems unreasonable not to put them in the playoffs and at the same time I think it's a very close group that they're in.

I think it will be Cavs, Bulls, Wizards, Heat, Raptors, Hornets, Nets and Knicks myself. I think the Heat will be better than expected and likely top 4 or 5 still. I think the Raptors come down just a bit. The Nets have not improved but should have Lopez fit at last, and I see no way that they or the Knicks fail to make the playoffs. There's also the Pistons lurking and they will be closer under van Gundy, but still fall short imo.

The Pelicans are a team I also expect so much of. I think they will end up finishing 9th, just ahead of Phoenix, but outside the playoffs. This because the group ahead of them is just so unbelievably good. I'm not even so sure the Clippers cruise to that 3rd spot. Portland will not be worse, most likely, and if that is the case they are certainly good enough to qualify. Memphis hasn't gotten worse and are sturdy like no one else.

I don't have the same faith you do that the Knicks will make the playoffs. Obviously with Carmelo on board you can't completely count them out, but even with Chandler not playing so well last year he is still an improvement on Dalembert defensively. And it's not like Calderon is going to play better defence then Felton (although he probably will be a more consistent shooter). I guess they've also got Jason Smith to provide a slightly different look at Centre (he's got a midrange jumper, I seem to recall), but apart from that I look at their offseason moves and it doesn't feel like they've really upgraded all that much. And Derek Fisher doesn't inspire me with confidence as the coach that's going to propel them back into playoff contention in a field that's at least a bit more competitive than last year. I think they might be the 9th seed again.

In the West, I think there's a bunch of awesome teams there, but at least one of them is likely to take a step back this year. Whether it will be Portland unable to maintain they're starting 5's durability from last year, Houston missing Parsons more than they expect, San Antonio suddenly getting old (seems unlikely at this point), or just a freak injury to a major cog in someone's team, it seems unsustainable to me that all 8 are going to be able to keep up a 50-win pace two seasons in a row (well, Dallas only managed 49 but you know what I mean). So I don't know who it will be, but someone will probably fall out of the playoff spots and I'm picking New Orleans to take their place.

ST

So the first predictions from the Las Vegas bookies for next year look like this:

West;

Thunder

Spurs

Clippers

Warriors

Mavericks/Rockets ( exact same forecast)

Grizzlies/Portland ( exact same forecast)

Phoenix

New Orleans

Denver

Lakers

Kings

Jazz

Timberwolves

East:

Cavaliers

Bulls

Raptors

Wizards

Charlotte

Heat

Nets

Knicks/Hawks ( exact same forecast)

Pistons

Pacers

Magic

Celtics

Bucks

76’ers

Anyone disagree with these?

I'd switch Spurs and Thunder, but that's a tough call, I don't think Mavericks are up that high tbh even with the addition of Parsons. But overall solid West.

In the East Wizards over Raptors, Bulls are a mystery depending on the health of Rose, since when did Lance make Charlotte that much of a better team? Miami is a better and deeper team than Charlotte. Nets are older and without PP, I think they fall below the Knicks.

Archived