NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

*There's no longer a "d" in Cleveland

:thumbsup:

This move certainly increases Cleveland's chances of making the NBA finals in the short term, which was obviously their intent. But right now I would still favor whichever team emerges from the West to win it.

I think this deal increases the chance that they win the title this year, and decreases the chance that they win the title every year after that. It seems entirely possible that Lebron will never win Cleveland that championship.

And yet another team (will soon) emerge in the West while the East gets even shallower. Ugh.

Timberwolves fans should be thanking their lucky stars Lebron went to Cleveland. If he hadn't, they'd be getting about half as much for Love.

Wolves are still at least 3 years away. Spurs should finally be done by then, as will Grizzlies and Mavs. Thunder will obviously depend on what Durant decides to do.

I keep hearing media members say the "wolves" traded a "known quantity" for "potential."

Now these are the same idiots who ripped the Harden trade incessantly, so I guess expecting them to know their ass from their elbow is wishful thinking, but still.

The Wolves just got the last two number 1 overall picks and a first round draft pick for a guy they had a one year rental on. They also swapped what likely would have been the 12th or 13th pick in the next draft, for likely the 2nd or 3rd pick.

The Wolves absolutley fleeced the Cavaliers, who likely could have gotten Love (or another superstar) in a year in Free agency WITHOUT GIVING UP ANYTHING.

And the Wolves meanwhile traded an asset of dubious value (a one year rental on Kevin Love) for a panoply of young prospects that could set their franchise up for success for the next decade. This is arguably the best trade in NBA history for the T-Wolves.

Doesn't make giving up three #1s for what could be a one year rental look any better.

I guess Love could always break his word, or pull a Dwight Howard, but the reports say that he committed to signing a 5-year contract with the Cavs after this season.

The possibility of it being a rental doesn't concern me; I just think the Cavs vastly overpaid on a player that there wasn't a bidding war for. And the Cavs could've just signed him next year anyway. Yes, they'd have to lose some pieces to fit him under the cap, but they could've kept Wiggins. And if Wiggins only looked like an average player or a possible gem that needed a lot of work, trading him and Bennet in December still would've been by far the best deal the Wolves could've gotten.

Once again, the Cavs could not have signed any star next year WITHOUT GIVING UP ANYTHING.

Why? Cap expected to go up dramatically next year and Varejao comes off the books after this year. If they needed a little more room they could not pick up a player option on Dion Waiters or something.

Stop the press!!!!! The T-Pups did something right?

They were given no other choice. Cleveland basically forced them to take two #1 overall picks and an additional first rounder on top of it against their best wishes.

What they really wanted was two undersized PGs and the BWGA (Best White Guy available).

They were given no other choice. Cleveland basically forced them to take two #1 overall picks and an additional first rounder on top of it against their best wishes.

What they really wanted was two undersized PGs and the BWGA (Best White Guy available).

:lmao: This new pattern of trading the BWGA might change our recent luck. But I basically view it like this:

At the worst, the Wolves will destroy 4 young prospects (Wiggins, LaVine, Bennett and the gifted 2015 pick). Well, that's pretty much the standard anyways, so nobody would be surprised.

At the best, the Wolves maybe get two potential top 5 guys in Wiggins and LaVine, and we build an amazing team around them and Rubio.

Either way Love wasn't going to stay, so I see this as a big win. And the only period in the Wolves history when they showed the ability to develop talent was during the previous Flip era, so I remain hopeful. I'm a little bummed the three way deal which would have landed us Wiggins and Young and a pick didn't happen.

The biggest winner hands down is GS though.

Edit: Also, I loved the Wiggins interview I just saw. "I'm from Toronto, the snow doesn't bother me." FUCK YEAH! HE MIGHT RESIGN LONG TERM.

Well maybe you guys can get some picks in 4 years for Wiggins and Bennett when they want to come home. However our GM would likely fleece the shit out of Flip Saunders.

Lol. LaVine is divine. They will see this and stay.

Archived