NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

The Hell? Why the fuck should FIBA be forced to bring the backstop closer?

Sorry I read his post wrong.

Perhaps I don't know enough about court dimension rules to be talking about this.

I just maintain that if one plays professionally on courts that are a certain size, 3 inches difference is a huge change.

Yes, it was a freak accident. And I said a foot because that's what Windhorst said initially. But the difference still matters.

It's a minimum of four feet. Most NBA arenas are much farther back. I believe I read that the Pacers home court is closer to six feet back. Regardless, I think trying to say that the placement had anything to do with a freak injury is borderline ludicrous.

Did anyone see the awkward ass interview that Wiggins had with ESPN just now? Jesus, they're like sharks circling around the kid. Now I want the guy to get the hell out of Cleveland. (And I read rumors that the deal will be done right when Wiggins is eligible to be traded. Good. Gets the guy out of a potentially toxic situation).

Edit: found a link http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11303084

That smarmy little dipshit who interviewed Wiggins needs to have his face plastered on some dart boards. I know he didn't come up with the questions himself but he's still a douche.

@Rhom

How is that ludicrous? He is used to landing like he did. He was not used to there being something right by him. Again, it was a freak accident that wouldn't happen 99% of the time, but why introduce the risk at all?

@JM

The interviewer was being a dick, but I actually think Wiggins handled it as best he could. I really don't know what else he could have said in that situation. Can't wait till they announce he is coming to MN. If he's developed properly, he could be a top 3 guy in the league in 5 years or so. Plus, running a 3 guard look with Rubio, LaVine and Wiggins could be epic if those guys can develop legit jump shots (big IF).

@JM

The interviewer was being a dick, but I actually think Wiggins handled it as best he could. I really don't know what else he could have said in that situation. Can't wait till they announce he is coming to MN. If he's developed properly, he could be a top 3 guy in the league in 5 years or so. Plus, running a 3 guard look with Rubio, LaVine and Wiggins could be epic if those guys can develop legit jump shots (big IF).

Yeah Wiggins couldn't really say much else. I'm just wondering if Cleveland even bothered to help the guy out. Seems like he's been fending for himself ever since being drafted.

Yeah Wiggins couldn't really say much else. I'm just wondering if Cleveland even bothered to help the guy out. Seems like he's been fending for himself ever since being drafted.

I've been wondering that too. Outside of the coach, I haven't seen the Cavs show him much love (ha puns, and I also think this is a nice early bright spot for the new coach).

What annoys me even more is the fact that LBJ hasn't spoken with him. LeBron should understand better than anyone the pressure of being a super hyped young athlete (I believe Wiggins was the most hyped high school athlete since LBJ, withstanding D. Rose and maybe Parker). The least he could do is take him out to dinner and give him some advice or put an arm around the kid, even if he was actively involved in trading him for Love.

I hope Wiggins uses all of this as fuel to live up to what he can be. He needs a shit ton of polishing, and we need to find out if he really wants it, but physically speaking, he might be more gifted than anyone in the league (he could even be more physically gifted than young V. Carter).

I don't blame the interviewer. I blame the Cleveland organization and Lebron for leaving the kid out there alone in this awkward situation without guidance. He shouldn't be put out there answering questions when he knows the least of anyone what is going on.

NBA's the only North American professional league where 19 year olds are put in the spotlight like this and that interview was one of those rare moment where you see a professional athlete, not yet polished in front of the media, acting his age. Seems like a good kid though.

Just wish Cleveland and Minnesota would fucking confirm this deal. This is the worst case of trade blue balls I've ever seen. I know the trade can't be finalized until the 30 days are up since Wiggins signed his contract but you can still say a trade has been "agreed in principle" or whatever the appropriate language is to confirm that this is going down instead of leaving everyone out there twisting in the wind. I've heard rumors that Minnesota also wants someone to take one of their bad contracts (i.e.: JJ Barea) so a third team may need to get involved. Dude, just take your 120 cents on the dollar and thank the lucky stars someone offered you this windfall.

I still can't believe that Cleveland is dumb enough to do this deal. The trade just looks worse and worse as we go forward. Especially with LeBron's contract coming up in 2 years with the new CBA and him getting a monster deal, they are going to have no cap room to work with and will be looking at the same disastrous surrounding crew as he had in Miami at the end.

Instead, they could have LeBron and Irving, which already puts them in the top 5 teams in the league, a guy who has a chance to be a top 5 player in the NBA in Wiggins, some other really talented pieces in Thompson, Waiters, and Bennett, plus cap room to bring in solid mid level free agents.

I still can't believe that Cleveland is dumb enough to do this deal. The trade just looks worse and worse as we go forward. Especially with LeBron's contract coming up in 2 years with the new CBA and him getting a monster deal, they are going to have no cap room to work with and will be looking at the same disastrous surrounding crew as he had in Miami at the end.

Instead, they could have LeBron and Irving, which already puts them in the top 5 teams in the league, a guy who has a chance to be a top 5 player in the NBA in Wiggins, some other really talented pieces in Thompson, Waiters, and Bennett, plus cap room to bring in solid mid level free agents.

Agreed. And it seems so blatantly obvious that it has me wondering if I'm missing something! Especially since if Love really wants to play with LBJ, he an do it in one season... A season where Cleveland isn't winning the title anyways!!!

Is a core of LeBron-Kevin Love-Kyrie Irving not at least as good as as the core that won Miami titles and finals? I would say it certainly is as good, and probably better. You should be able to find a supporting cast of the same level ( or even better) that Miami had as well. They already started with James Jones and Mike Miller.

So I don't see see any reason for doom thinking in that regard. You've got 3 max stars on the team in a similar way that won Miami two titles.

And I like the Cleveland core better.

Agreed. And it seems so blatantly obvious that it has me wondering if I'm missing something! Especially since if Love really wants to play with LBJ, he an do it in one season... A season where Cleveland isn't winning the title anyways!!!

That's what is killing me about this. Give Wiggins a year to work with LBJ and Irving, get his legs under him a little from an NBA standpoint and make the East finals. Then, if nothing else has happened, get a rip at Love.

Obviously Minnesota doesn't want to just let him walk, but if no one is going to pony up what they are asking Cleveland should just take what they have and settle with:

the best player on the planet - in his prime

a great floor leader who just signed an extension - and is coming into his prime

The Next One - we'll see where he ends up, but I'm looking at Wiggins like I looked at Bias for the Celtics in the 80s; the next superstar on a team to lighten the load from the aging core and then come into his own. The Cavs aren't an aging team, but Wiggins doesn't have to be The Guy for a long time.

Is a core of LeBron-Kevin Love-Kyrie Irving not at least as good as as the core that won Miami titles and finals? I would say it certainly is as good, and probably better. You should be able to find a supporting cast of the same level ( or even better) that Miami had as well. They already started with James Jones and Mike Miller.

So I don't see see any reason for doom thinking in that regard. You've got 3 max stars on the team in a similar way that won Miami two titles.

And I like the Cleveland core better.

Except none of them can play defense (except Lebron) and their role players aren't as good as the ones in Miami a few years ago. They will have a tough time with the West teams if they can't stop them scoring.

Guys, stop playing he will be a FA next year card. Love won't go to Cleveland as a FA, he is willing to sign a max 4 year contract if he is traded there. If he is a FA, he's going to a CA team, likely the Lakers.

Guys, stop playing he will be a FA next year card. Love won't go to Cleveland as a FA, he is willing to sign a max 4 year contract if he is traded there. If he is a FA, he's going to a CA team, likely the Lakers.

If he becomes a free agent and his options are the Lakers, so he can make the twilight of Kobe's career semi-relevant, or Cleveland, where he could very realistically win the next four championships, I don't think you can just dismiss the Cavaliers. The Lakers usually get their man, but not always.

Archived