NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

I've started seeing previews of Phoenix on Grantland and such and it has reminded me of the gaping hole in their roster that is the lack of Channing Frye. I said at the time I thought Orlando luring him away was a good move, and I suspect that Phoenix will regret letting him go. His was the sort of contribution that would be pretty much invisible except for looking at +/-, and lo and behold if you look at, for example, ESPN's RPM stat from last year you see that he was ranked 11th in the NBA. I think not having him there will drop them a few wins and take them out of the playoff race, even with the addition of Isaiah Thomas.

ST

He had that sort of role that Josh McRoberts did so well for Charlotte. They too need to retool their offense due to losing him to Miami.

The new Miami team is one I really look forward to seeing. I think they'll be top 4 in the East.

BTW I think the chances of the Mavericks not even making the playoffs are very, very slim. No way that that happens, they only got better.

Pelicans will contend, but that could be a frail bunch of players that they got there.

I agree that the Bulls in the East are a wait and see. Like the Cavs, it likely takes a while before that team looks really good. I really wonder how good Rose will be able to be, I have some real questions about that. And they need him to be good. But their team is deep, they have nice shooters in Dunleavy and McDermott, and Mirotic as well. Plus Noah, Gibson and Gasol upfront. Fierce.

He had that sort of role that Josh McRoberts did so well for Charlotte. They too need to retool their offense due to losing him to Miami.

The new Miami team is one I really look forward to seeing. I think they'll be top 4 in the East.

BTW I think the chances of the Mavericks not even making the playoffs are very, very slim. No way that that happens, they only got better.

Pelicans will contend, but that could be a frail bunch of players that they got there.

I agree that the Bulls in the East are a wait and see. Like the Cavs, it likely takes a while before that team looks really good. I really wonder how good Rose will be able to be, I have some real questions about that. And they need him to be good. But their team is deep, they have nice shooters in Dunleavy and McDermott, and Mirotic as well. Plus Noah, Gibson and Gasol upfront. Fierce.

I mostly agree with Dallas, although I will say that one thing they lost a lot of in the off-season was experience. The character of last year's time was defined by savvy veterans, of which Calderon, Marion, Carter and Dalembert are gone. Carlisle is a great coach and they've still got Dirk around to be their pillar of stability, but I worry a little that they might not be able to be as consistent this year without the collective experience and level-headness of the outgoing group. Having said that, they've brought in Jameer Nelson and Tyson Chandler who should both be playing major minutes and aren't exactly spring chickens, so maybe they'll be OK.

Apart from that the future looks pretty rosy - you don't see too many wastes of space when you look down their roster. Guys like Al-Farouq Aminu, Greg Smith and Ivan Johnson are all players who have shown they are capable of playing at an NBA level, and they're the guys on the end of the bench! In particular, I think Greg Smith could have a big future for them if he sticks. He's a brilliant garbage-man (a skill that the Mavericks should have no trouble putting to use given how Ellis and Nowitzki seem to be able to consistently draw help) and has good shot-blocking instincts (albeit his defensive positioning was a bit off at times in Houston - he's no Omer Asik on that end).

ST

In the league's least surprising news, the Cavs have signed Ray Allen. In all honesty, I sort of thought this had already happened.

It's becoming a very impressive team. Going to be a great battle between them and the Bulls for the East.

Edit: Allen and his team completely deny that this is actually happening. The lamest transfer saga of the summer? Why is he waiting so long to decide anyway.

It's becoming a very impressive team. Going to be a great battle between them and the Bulls for the East.

Edit: Allen and his team completely deny that this is actually happening. The lamest transfer saga of the summer? Why is he waiting so long to decide anyway.[/quotes]

He's seriously considering retirement. Dude has the same routine everyday like he has OCD or something. Think he's bored.

Another team that I think will be really good this year and which people may have counted out after last year is Denver.

They've got Gallinari back now, though he will be returning at a slow pace, as well as long term injury returns from McGee, Hickson and sparkplug Nate Robinson. Mozgov has emerged as one of the better centers and it looks like Denver will not trade him to the Cavs.

I think this team will be very good and close to teams like Golden State, Rockets, Mavs and Portland. Could end up finishing 9th I guess, but Phoenix and New Orleans will be in that area as well.

Another team that I think will be really good this year and which people may have counted out after last year is Denver.

They've got Gallinari back now, though he will be returning at a slow pace, as well as long term injury returns from McGee, Hickson and sparkplug Nate Robinson. Mozgov has emerged as one of the better centers and it looks like Denver will not trade him to the Cavs.

I think this team will be very good and close to teams like Golden State, Rockets, Mavs and Portland. Could end up finishing 9th I guess, but Phoenix and New Orleans will be in that area as well.

Don't forget they've brought back Aaron Afflalo as well - he's a big upgrade over Randy Foye from last year. With the altitude on their side you kind of expect them to overachieve relative to their talent level in the regular season.

It's great that Nate Robinson has finally found a home - this is the first time since 2009 that he will have started a season for the same team twice in a row. I guess he and Isaiah Thomas share the little guy's curse of being forever underappreciated by front-offices...

The big question for me about Denver is the frontcourt defence. Mozgov played well last year, but none of the rest of Denver's bigs are any good at playing solid positional defence. I'm really not sold on McGee, Hickson or Faried in that regard, and while they're all athletic specimens, big men need to be more than human pogo-sticks to be effective defenders in today's NBA. I guess maybe we'll see whether their rookie centre Nurkic is any good - suspect it might take him a while to make the transition from the Euroleague to NBA style of play though.

In the end, I think it comes down to Ty Lawson. He's been touted as one of the up-and-coming point guards in the league for a few years now, but if he can make the leap on a team that's got plenty of supporting cast for him to work with I think they've got a chance to get up to the level where they've got an outside chance of a playoff spot. But the West is too crowded for them to have more, I think...

ST

Wish I could be that optimistic. Maybe sneaking unto the seventh/eight seed is possible.

BUT

Not a fan of Robinson, especially in this offense. None of our bugs are great at creating their own shot; great guard play is a must. Lawson has impressed me but in a 'deserves to be in the conversation' kind of way. Gallo was great in bursts but I am not tying a playoff run to him; superstar he is not. Manimal will not be surrounded by all stars and fed by Rose-- love him anyway but not expecting the same #s we saw over the summer. I did like seeing AA come back though, good move there.

Sorry for the block o text, typing on a phone kinda sucks

Durant out for a month and a half with a fracture in his foot - and it's one of the fractures that can cause lingering issues. Hopefully they get it taken care of correctly and he can completely heal.

Definitely will rewrite the bookies predictions for finishing the season in the top spot.

Durant out for a month and a half with a fracture in his foot - and it's one of the fractures that can cause lingering issues. Hopefully they get it taken care of correctly and he can completely heal.

Definitely will rewrite the bookies predictions for finishing the season in the top spot.

Ugh add that to a growing list of injuries...Beal, Rondo, and now Durant. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the last couple years, where you had legitimate 'all-injury teams'.

I guess we'll find out if it's possible for someone to jack up 50 shots a game. Even though the thunder won't win as much, I expect Westbrook to be right near the top of the scoring charts.

Very unfortunate about Durant but at the same time, if he comes back around early December they'll still be fine, he will have had some much needed rest ( that's the only positive I guess) and that may end making him fresher when the playoffs come.

It's all about getting this healed properly in the meantime.

Some pre-season things I liked:

D-Rose looked great against the Bucks. Super fast and actually making shots. Also, Pau Gasol blocking everyone on court. On the other side, Giannis and Jabari Parker also look very strong already.

Kevin Love making his shots already for the Cavs.

Wiggins looking like a phenomenon to be. This guy is going to be big.

Steven Adams being excellent again. Not only is he by far the best OKC center now, I hope Perkins will be fit enough to back him up, that seems about the most you can hope for from Perkins at this point.

Ugh add that to a growing list of injuries...Beal, Rondo, and now Durant. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the last couple years, where you had legitimate 'all-injury teams'.

I guess we'll find out if it's possible for someone to jack up 50 shots a game. Even though the thunder won't win as much, I expect Westbrook to be right near the top of the scoring charts.

I think right now Ainge and Co are crying into their coffee about Rondo's injury & their not doing something earlier in the summer with him. The number of comments I'm seeing about him being uncoachable are growing and with the young team they have, that's not going to be a good mix.

I've been lurking on here and see the majority opinion is that Cleveland shouldn't have gave up Wiggins for Love. When I first heard the rumours, I couldn't think of a better fit for Lebron a a teammate in the NBA. What Lebron needs is spacing. And that is exactly what Love will offer with his 3 pt range. He's an excellent rebounder, and throws probably the best outlet passes in the NBA. Only two things I see negative about it. Suspect D and heard rumours that he can be hard to get along with. I think it will be easy to keep him happy as long as their winning. I just see it as a perfect fit and give Lebron the best chance of winning now.

I can't even say Wiggins is a sure thing. He's a excellent defender and great athlete, but needs to improve his shot. Lebron has maybe 5 years of his prime left, and I can see where he didn't wanna wait on the development of an unproven rookie. I could be wrong, but I believe with the additions of Miller, Marion, and Jones they've added the depth and experienced needed for a realistic shot at a championship. There will be growing pains but they WILL win the East. And from what I've read, LBJ has taken Waiters under his wing. I don't see there being any friction with Waiters/Irving anymore.

All in all, I think LBJ is the best GM in the NBA. And he just upgraded the talent around him, in a very savvy way. All while making the right choice to go back to Cleveland. I love his style and he makes everyone around him better. His one downfall? He needs that killer instinct of Jordan and Kobe was famous for. If he gets that (wich I doubt he will, just not his nature and is more concerned with making the best possible bball play at every point of the game.), he will go down as the greatest of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived